An itch Scratched!

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

An itch Scratched!

Post by Boriqua »

I will just have to accept the fact that while striker fired guns are all the rage and have been for some time .. I am old school and prefer a hammer. Finding hammer fired guns is getting a ton more difficult but I went ahead and picked up an H&K P2000 in .40S&W.

Wasnt easy to find in .40 with 12 rd mags but Teds had one listed on their shop site. Not cheap but at a better price than I saw anywhere on the net if I was lucky enough to find it.

Picked it up yesterday but held back and didnt run it right out to the range but brought it home to wipe out all the shipping grease and put in some fresh oil.

Got it out today. First .. the DA is SMOOTH! I have a 45c and the trigger on the new P2000 blows it away. Not as delicious as my sig 229 but very nice. Had a little trouble working the decocker since its on the tail end of the gun which for me is a bit unusual.

Single action is sweet with a firm break but reset is 20 miles long. Only real "Negative" to the gun is the super long reset. Didnt really notice it when slow firing but when I was letting off 4 rounds bursts I short stroked it twice so no bang. I went back to my revolver ways and was able to make some accurate nice strings but I really had to treat it like my GP100 and let the trigger all the way out. Once I got it in my head it was more than fine.

FOR ME .. the gun is a natural pointer and I did find I could acquire the target and shoot faster and more naturally than I could with my recently acquired glock.

The gun shoots soft. Again .. not as soft as my 229 but it stays on target nicely and its easy to follow the sight.

I like to start every new gun with factory ammo to give it the best chance of working from jump street so first off I lit off 50 rds of 180 gr American eagle. Then I lit off a box of my reloads. Then to really push it I sent a handful or two of Federal 180gr hst and then a handful or two of underwood 155 gr traveling at a measured 1300fps. Not a single hiccup.

So I am pretty much in love with my new acquisition. Destined to become my CCW. I love my 229 but .. it can get a bit heavy and its thick. I shoot both the 229 and the P2000 better than I do the glock. Not bashing Glock .. Maybe its just being old and used to a platform. The glock is a hoot to shoot and I dont own another 9mm so I may keep it around as a range toy but I am pretty sure the p2000 will replace my 229 as CCW.

OH. ... Having not even dry fired the gun I shot off 12 rounds to get myself situated. This was rounds 13 through 18 at 9 yds starting from DA. Not great but on subsequent targets I was able to make a ragged hole. Just didnt take more pictures. Yea .. Im Happy!! :dance:

Itch Scratched.
p2000 first outing.jpg

Suck My Glock

Re: An itch Scratched!

Post by Suck My Glock »

The whole point of having so many handguns to choose from is that (despite the success of Glock) not everyone is the same and one particular model might fit you better than another.

Probably the single most important factor in selecting a handgun is its natural pointability; how it fits your hand and just seems to track the sights as easy as pointing your finger. It sounds like you found a good fit.
Last edited by Suck My Glock on September 21st, 2022, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenring

Post by Tenring »

Yep everyone is different and while one platform fit one person, might be a disaster for another. Unless we are talking a 1911 of course because they fit everyone.

I am really eyeballing the HK P30SK with LEM trigger. The shop down the road has one and for me it points almost as well as a 1911. I had a HK P30SK with a V3 trigger and for me a DA/SA is not an option for a carry gun.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/
delta6

Post by delta6 »

:banana-dance: Nice shootin' Alex
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Tenring wrote: September 21st, 2022, 3:32 pm Yep everyone is different and while one platform fit one person, might be a disaster for another. Unless we are talking a 1911 of course because they fit everyone.

I am really eyeballing the HK P30SK with LEM trigger. The shop down the road has one and for me it points almost as well as a 1911. I had a HK P30SK with a V3 trigger and for me a DA/SA is not an option for a carry gun.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/
I actually was able to find a ton more LEM's in p30's and P 2000's than a V3. I guess its a lot more popular because I had to look around for a standard Decocker model. I have tried the lem on someone elses USP. They did the conversion themselves so I got to try that gun before and after. I prefer the DA/SA but .. that LEM is pretty sweet and if its important, there is the fact that its going to feel the same pull after pull.

I was shown how to shoot with a revolver. My first ever hand gun was a revolver. My very first real Semi was a Ruger p89 and the one that followed that was a Sig 239. My carry for the last several years is/was a 229 so ... I kinda got a thing with hammers!! :lol:
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Can't hate a P89..
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Guess the thread is worthless without pics but .. I am pretty sure everyone knows what it looks like already and its not a handsome boy like a 1911 or anything .. Just utilitarian looking in a squared away kinda way.

HK P2000 1.JPG
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

XJThrottle wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 9:30 am Can't hate a P89..
I was very fond of that P89. If nothing else you could beat someone to death with it but .. it was accurate and was reliable no matter how you treated it. I have a somewhat amusing story regarding that gun but it can only be shared in private. :mrgreen:
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Boriqua wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 10:52 am
XJThrottle wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 9:30 am Can't hate a P89..
I was very fond of that P89. If nothing else you could beat someone to death with it but .. it was accurate and was reliable no matter how you treated it. I have a somewhat amusing story regarding that gun but it can only be shared in private. :mrgreen:
:handgestures-thumbup:

....I've got 3 of them.
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Excellent pistol and nice shooting too.