CZ SP-01

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Dat_Ginga
ArizonaShooting.org Member

CZ SP-01

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Looking to pick up a CZ SP-01 sometime in the future and was wondering what some of your opinions are. I plan on using it for local USPSA matches around the valley and state and right now I’m shooting a Glock 34. My dad recently won a CZ P-09 and since I was able to shoot it I hace pretty much fallen in love with it.

I know the Shadow 2 and Shadow series of guns are better for competition but as of now it is not in the budget so I am not sven looking at those.

Thanks for the feedback!

Basher

Re: CZ SP-01

Post by Basher »

This post is relevant to my interests.
Cholla
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Cholla »

I don't shoot competitively so I can't speak to that, but I did own a SP-01 Tactical. I loved it until I got tired of it. It is heavy, shot smoothly, never had a hiccup or miss fire. The stock trigger and springs are set for the slightly more powerful European 9mm ammunition. You would definitely need a new trigger. It is quite stiff and has a long pull.
harleypower69

Post by harleypower69 »

CZ Custom in Mesa is a great resource for sorting out any trigger needs. Great platform, buy it with confidence.
metau

Post by metau »

IT is a solid upgrade for your stated purposes. Loved mine while I had it.
BilJac

Post by BilJac »

Really like my SP-01 Tactical. One of the tritium sites was dead out of the box. CZ customer service was great. Changes a few spring from cajungunworks and it shoots exactly how I like it. It is a great platform to start modifications with.
Azrckcrawler

Post by Azrckcrawler »

Any reason not to use a P07/P09? I have never tried the all metal SP-01 and I imagine the extra weight is beneficial to recoil reduction. Just curious because I have always found the hammer fired polymer CZ's to be very smooth and low recoiling shooters.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I have had the p07 an Aluminum CZ and a steel CZ. I have fired but never owned the Sp01 specifically.

The p07 has the omega firing group which is very easy to work on and allows you to flop the safety but mine needed a fair amount of money thrown at making the trigger pull anywhere near nice. Once I did it was Amazing and the ergos are out of this world. I did springs, a fluff and buff and installed a race hammer. It was a dream. They can usually be found fairly cheap in after market but be careful of serial numbers as the early models had frame issues.

The Steel CZ I had and the SPO1 I fired had the old firing system and they are just much nicer. My steel compact came out of the box ready to shoot. I was dead eye accurate with the sp01 and it is a super soft shooter. There are a whole host of upgrades available to modify the gun to your liking and cajun gun works is great

https://cajungunworks.com/

Now if you want to dip your toe in but want to save a few bucks I have a CZ clone made in Turkey. Mine is Aluminum specifically the T100 but they do make a steel Sp01 copy and it has received steller reviews.

My turk was actually smoother and MUCH better machined than my actual CZ's I am a big fan of the CZ platform so you may want to take a look at the Turk

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... Grip+Chrom

Downside is it isnt quite as well supported but Cajun gon works does offer upgrades. It uses the old style clockworks as well and not the omega.
rocketscients

Post by rocketscients »

Find a used Shadow sp01. They're cheap and plentiful as people upgrade to shadow 2's and bullshadows.
iketurner443

Post by iketurner443 »

i need one too.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

rocketscients wrote: September 26th, 2018, 11:18 am Find a used Shadow sp01. They're cheap and plentiful as people upgrade to shadow 2's and bullshadows.
Where are all these cheap and plentiful shadows at? I've been keeping my eye on the shadow 2's and don't often seen the shadow SP01's come up for sale and when I do they are still always in the $1k range.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I picked up the SP-01 suppressor ready version and like it a lot.
I did add the cajon kit and it's even better.
The SP-01 is about half the cost of the Shadow 2 and I would say with the cajon kit is real close in trigger pull and how it shoots.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Where are the cheap Shadows
Arplatform

Post by Arplatform »

I had one of these for a while and I really wish I never sold it. It was extremely accurate and I remember the trigger being very nice as well. These are very nice pistols you can't go wrong.
rocketscients

Post by rocketscients »

Cheap sp01s are most commonly found by first not being a dick and then talking to the people that upgraded to shadow 2's.

For example, I bought mine sub 500rd count with a holster and stack of magazines for $650.

But I've had a handful of them offered to me in the $500-700 ballpark. None of these were advertised prices... just shooter to shooter offers.

Or just buy a new one for the $880 or whatever czc is charging these days.