Looking for info on the new Springfield Armory Prodigy

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Looking for info on the new Springfield Armory Prodigy

Post by Suck My Glock »

Springfield just released a new handgun based on the 1911 called the Prodigy.

But actually, it looks like it is based off of the STI 2011 hybrid polymer and steel hi-cap frame that has been so popular in IPSC and other high-speed/low-drag shooting sports for decades. I'm wondering if the patent on the frame finally ran out, allowing Springfield to copy it like this?

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has yet gotten an early sample to fondle and look over, and if anyone can confirm for me if indeed it is essentially a copy of the frame used in the STI/SVI/Staccato guns. And if so, then I guess it would use the same magazines, right?

I'm interested in Springfield's new offering because I've always wanted one of the STI framed guns, but they always seem to be close to or more than $3000 bucks because they are always so customized. The Springfield looks like the street price is gonna be half that.

QuietM4

Re: Looking for info on the new Springfield Armory Prodigy

Post by QuietM4 »

Springfield is trying to be Staccato. Interchangeable mags and frames. The patent on the STI 2011 frame ran out a while back...many different shops make 2011 frames and grips. SGC and Tombstone Tactical had several as of this morning, but I bet they are all sold out now.

All the reviews online are very positive...but they all agree...it's not a Staccato killer.
G34

Post by G34 »

Waiting for Aaron Cowans drop test. Staccatos have terrible mounting system for optics.
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Handled it yesterday, and it is way cool for what it is. Seems like a large gun designed for competition use. The fit and finish appeared to be excellent.