AR-9 Build Questions

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
campinginaz
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR-9 Build Questions

Post by campinginaz »

shorepatrol wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 4:34 pm Bought a PSA AR-V 8" 9mm this weekend after looking through this thread :whistle:
Nice! Where did you buy it if I may ask?

shorepatrol

Post by shorepatrol »

campinginaz wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 5:28 pm
shorepatrol wrote: August 22nd, 2022, 4:34 pm Bought a PSA AR-V 8" 9mm this weekend after looking through this thread :whistle:
Nice! Where did you buy it if I may ask?
Straight from PSA. Blem was 699 with free shipping. It has the last round bolt hold open feature
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Now that you have it, F Y I. My AR-V doesn't run well with Magpul mags. It does with CZ and PSA mags. If you invest in Magpul don't buy a bunch until you see if they work. I have a CA, AR-v and AK-V and Magpul mags are the only mags that had failures.
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Nice!
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Nice!
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

shorepatrol

Post by shorepatrol »

Whelp, bolt release doesn't function. Back to PSA
Yellowcarbon

Post by Yellowcarbon »

I built a 9mm upper about 10 years ago before the current wave of products were available. I used a RRA 9mm upper, bolt and barrel chopped to 4.5" (threaded for suppressor). I used a VM-Hytec Uzi mag block that inserts like a magazine so I can use it on my AR SBR lower without messing with dedicated mag blocks. I got an oversized YHM handguard that allows my suppressor to fit inside it. It runs without any problems with anything I feed it. I can also stick in on my SBR lower in seconds.

Then when braces and Glock mags became a thing, I did a dedicated 9mm build. I got a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower/upper. I can't even remember the barrel & bolt carrier I used, but it is 7" long. I finished it just as ammo jumped through the roof, so it has sat untested for years now.
Az_Gunner

Post by Az_Gunner »

Suck My Glock wrote: August 19th, 2022, 9:50 pm For me, the most reliable feeding 9mm AR mag system has been the EndoMag conversion of Magpul magazines. The feed ramp geometry is not a radical angle and is very gentle in delivering hollow-points to the chamber. The neat thing is that you can use a standard AR15 lower and no need to drill and pin a conversion feed block in the magwell to use Glock or Colt/Uzi mags.

opplanet-mean-arms-restrictive-states-endomag-9mm-10-round-black-2101169-av-1.jpg
I know I’m a little late, but I second the endo mag setup as I’ve used them since day one - I’ve also been able to modify the inserts to fit in pmag 20’s rather than using the intended pmag 30’s. - keeps the package nice and compact in a backpack if need be - this is my 4.5” Gibbz side charging AR9 with BA polished feed ramp
Attachments
1923A468-254E-4846-919A-31E35EC8EDF9.jpeg
A613FEDD-E875-47A8-8A76-F63C1D47B875.jpeg
AC9EB5FC-E5A0-44A1-84A6-CD1550155D0B.jpeg
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Some $503 and changed delivered to your FFL.....

https://www.extarusa.com/pistols
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Yellowcarbon wrote: August 30th, 2022, 12:53 pm I built a 9mm upper about 10 years ago before the current wave of products were available. I used a RRA 9mm upper, bolt and barrel chopped to 4.5" (threaded for suppressor). I used a VM-Hytec Uzi mag block that inserts like a magazine so I can use it on my AR SBR lower without messing with dedicated mag blocks. I got an oversized YHM handguard that allows my suppressor to fit inside it. It runs without any problems with anything I feed it. I can also stick in on my SBR lower in seconds.

Then when braces and Glock mags became a thing, I did a dedicated 9mm build. I got a Quarter Circle 10 Glock lower/upper. I can't even remember the barrel & bolt carrier I used, but it is 7" long. I finished it just as ammo jumped through the roof, so it has sat untested for years now.
That sounds like a pretty nice set up! Thank you for the information!
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

Az_Gunner wrote: September 1st, 2022, 1:21 pm
Suck My Glock wrote: August 19th, 2022, 9:50 pm For me, the most reliable feeding 9mm AR mag system has been the EndoMag conversion of Magpul magazines. The feed ramp geometry is not a radical angle and is very gentle in delivering hollow-points to the chamber. The neat thing is that you can use a standard AR15 lower and no need to drill and pin a conversion feed block in the magwell to use Glock or Colt/Uzi mags.

opplanet-mean-arms-restrictive-states-endomag-9mm-10-round-black-2101169-av-1.jpg
I know I’m a little late, but I second the endo mag setup as I’ve used them since day one - I’ve also been able to modify the inserts to fit in pmag 20’s rather than using the intended pmag 30’s. - keeps the package nice and compact in a backpack if need be - this is my 4.5” Gibbz side charging AR9 with BA polished feed ramp
That is a nice looking setup! I'm not one for cosmetics but it looks awesome. I've heard a lot of good things about Gibbz as well. Thank you for sharing and providing pictures!
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Built mine with a PSA 9mm complete upper, a mil-spec lower with a carbine spring, H3 buffer and 5 quarters in the back to get the BCG-bolt catch spacing correct. Sooo much fun and runs like a sewing machine with EndoMags - LRBHO bonus...!
campinginaz

Post by campinginaz »

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. My build is complete! I'll create a separate post with the build.