EAA pistols opinions

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

EAA pistols opinions

Post by thom »

I have a buddy that bought a 9mm used. It seems to always jam and he is sending it back for a 2nd time. I was thinking about buying one, until he had his 2nd problem. Does anyone have any opinions on buying or selling them?

Thanks,
Thom

Gatsby
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Re: EAA pistols opinions

Post by Gatsby »

I have an EAA Tangfolio Witness, the polymer framed one. I use HSTs as my self defense round and it will not feed them from a full mag. If I remove 2 rounds from the mag, it will chamber the HSTs. Then I can add 3 more to the mag and it MOST of the time will feed them all. My reloads that run perfectly in every other 9 my son in law owns do this same thing. Most of the factory ball rounds will chamber with only one removed from the mag... Everything after the 1st round goes fine.

It's one of the least accurate pistols I own, which is fine of course. That's assuming I can get it to chamber that first round, of course

I bought it because it was inexpensive ($265 shipped) and a good enough pistol to leave in my truck, because I would cry like a baby if my TRP got stolen. But until I can get these issues sorted out and running reliably it is just sitting in the safe.

I should mention though: I only have run about 350 rounds through it total, because I get disgusted and throw it in case and say "I'll work on it before the next trip", which of course doesn't happen.

My hope is that this is just break-in woes coupled with finding the right ammo for it, and maybe a little polishing. I also want to try different mags. But right now, it's a $265 paperweight.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I"ve a couple of them the compact and full size, in 9mm, they hit point of aim, comfortable and price was right, use them as truck/car units, and have been reliable, probably at least 5oo rounds thru each.not a hiccup.
for the $$, don't think one can go wrong
Rj
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

Gatsby wrote: May 25th, 2018, 2:14 am I have an EAA Tangfolio Witness, the polymer framed one. I use HSTs as my self defense round and it will not feed them from a full mag. If I remove 2 rounds from the mag, it will chamber the HSTs. Then I can add 3 more to the mag and it MOST of the time will feed them all. My reloads that run perfectly in every other 9 my son in law owns do this same thing. Most of the factory ball rounds will chamber with only one removed from the mag... Everything after the 1st round goes fine.

It's one of the least accurate pistols I own, which is fine of course. That's assuming I can get it to chamber that first round, of course

I bought it because it was inexpensive ($265 shipped) and a good enough pistol to leave in my truck, because I would cry like a baby if my TRP got stolen. But until I can get these issues sorted out and running reliably it is just sitting in the safe.

I should mention though: I only have run about 350 rounds through it total, because I get disgusted and throw it in case and say "I'll work on it before the next trip", which of course doesn't happen.

My hope is that this is just break-in woes coupled with finding the right ammo for it, and maybe a little polishing. I also want to try different mags. But right now, it's a $265 paperweight.
I assume that you have tried different magazines and they all do the same ? It almost sounds like the mag spring is way to stiff and when its full, it struggles extracting that first round. You could try and cut a single coil off of one of your magazine springs and see if that helps.
boulder
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by boulder »

Tangfolio has made some great guns, and others not so well. They failed to take the market and when the global situation changed CZ was able to step in and took over. Tangfolio probably would have done better with a different importer, and a different name.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

storage_man wrote: May 25th, 2018, 6:57 am I assume that you have tried different magazines and they all do the same ? It almost sounds like the mag spring is way to stiff and when its full, it struggles extracting that first round. You could try and cut a single coil off of one of your magazine springs and see if that helps.
No, not yet. In my post I had mentioned that was one of the things I need to try. It only comes with one mag.
coltnut

Post by coltnut »

I had one in 9mm with the.41AE conversion kit.It ran without issue,acceptable accuracy.
Sold it off due to .41AE ammo vanishing and someone that was setup for reloading .41AE.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Got one years ago.
Broke a slide stop, didn't feed right occasionally and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn from inside. I send it in and fixed the slide stop pin issue. But it still won't feed 100%, but it's now a good shooter when it wants to feed.

Sold it cheap to a a buddy who thought he could fix it. He sends it in on his dime and it still acting up. He passed it along since it was a dog a year or so later. His friend sold it after 2 trips back and no joy.
AzRednek

Post by AzRednek »

I have three but they are the steel frame models, a 45 and a full and compact 9. I can't share any experience with the poly frame models but my three run perfect. Only problem ever with any of them was a screw for the adjustable sights backing out of my compact 9. A drop of Lock-Tite cured it. Both my 9's ran perfect with some garbage lead handloads my Taurus and S&W constantly jammed with.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

I like the mid to high end Tanfoglios better than CZs.
tunnug

Post by tunnug »

I own three, gave a fourth one to my son, all of them are steel, I have not had any problems with any of them, even when new, they have smoothed out even more as the years and rounds have passed, one of them is in the wonder finish and I have several different caliber uppers for it, maybe I'm lucky but my friends and I have really enjoyed shooting them.
They feel great in my hand and the price I paid was like everyone said "very affordable", cracks me up when I see standard pistols priced like the competition ones.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

have the limited match .40 its right on par with the cz
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

Had a full size 45 witness many years ago. Great and accurate gun for me.
Java Junkie
Banned
Banned

Post by Java Junkie »

I had a .45 Witness that had issues loading ammo. The guy I traded it to had the feed ramp polished and says he has no issues with it now.
samnev

Post by samnev »

boulder wrote: May 25th, 2018, 9:04 am Tangfolio has made some great guns, and others not so well. They failed to take the market and when the global situation changed CZ was able to step in and took over. Tangfolio probably would have done better with a different importer, and a different name.
My brother in law has one of their CZ 75 clones an it's very reliable well made and accurate.