In what condition do you carry your 1911 in?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
delta6
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: In what condition do you carry your 1911 in?

Post by delta6 »

A_C Guy wrote: July 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm
delta6 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 10:41 am
A_C Guy wrote: July 19th, 2018, 8:32 am Condition 2
I seriously doubt that any civilian has been in a situation where the less than a second it takes to cock the weapon has caused or would cause a change in the outcome of the conflict.
Believing you can load your gun just before you need it, is like saying you'll be able to put your seat belt on, the second before the accident.
Not a valid comparison. An accident isn't a premeditated action. Drawing your weapon is a conscious premeditated deliberate action.
Neither is an active confrontation...if you actually think...I mean really think your gunna draw your gun in a premeditated deliberate action... you/we should all be smart enough not to leave your house. You actually want to drive to an armed confrontation?...to consciously premeditate a deliberate draw.
If you have ever been in an active confrontation you would realize it does not usually work out that way...Just sayin'.

delta6

Post by delta6 »

Perfect example...

428cj

Post by 428cj »

A_C Guy wrote: July 19th, 2018, 2:35 pm
delta6 wrote: July 19th, 2018, 10:41 am
A_C Guy wrote: July 19th, 2018, 8:32 am Condition 2
I seriously doubt that any civilian has been in a situation where the less than a second it takes to cock the weapon has caused or would cause a change in the outcome of the conflict.
Believing you can load your gun just before you need it, is like saying you'll be able to put your seat belt on, the second before the accident.
Not a valid comparison.
Yes it is. 8-)
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Always 1.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Don't have a true, blue 1911 anymore, but I cut my semi-auto pistol carrying teeth on them for my first couple decades.

Condition 1, period!
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

Your so called perfect example is full of many mistakes. The lack of being in condition 1 was just one of many contributing factors. Any one of which would have been the final nail in the coffin. Take away any one of his mistakes and he would be alive.
It can argued that had he simply drawn his weapon instead of trying to close the door, he would have prevailed.
Again, not a valid comparison or perfect example.
If the Israeli military train to carry unchambered, then there has to be enough evidence to justify it.
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

When I carried one it was in condition one, then I got smart and started carrying guns with no safety other than one on the trigger. Now I carry with a competition trigger and a RMR on all carry guns.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

A_C Guy wrote: July 21st, 2018, 2:24 pm Your so called perfect example is full of many mistakes. The lack of being in condition 1 was just one of many contributing factors. Any one of which would have been the final nail in the coffin. Take away any one of his mistakes and he would be alive.
It can argued that had he simply drawn his weapon instead of trying to close the door, he would have prevailed.
Again, not a valid comparison or perfect example.
If the Israeli military train to carry unchambered, then there has to be enough evidence to justify it.
Yeah...yeah.....
I'm sure none of these are valid comparisons......
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

My question would be, what is a good reason to carry in condition 3 or 4?
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

YNOTAZ wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 8:06 am My question would be, what is a good reason to carry in condition 3 or 4?

:clap: Just excellent!

If memory serves me, I don't believe some guys that try to relate to "Israeli Carry" realize that it is a Government general population mandated SAFETY procedure and enforced by legislated LAW. A lot more Israeli citizens open carry, including Uzi's, than we do here. If memory serves me, some Israeli school teachers carry, daily.

"Israeli Carry " is a Nationally adopted safety concept, for a Armed Nation under siege by their historic enemy, right on their border. I don't think Americans can relate to such a daily living situation, very easily. My guess is, unintended discharges are minimal, across their entire Nation.

If memory serves me correctly.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

I am still looking for valid reasons. Even in Isreal, The military and "SWAT" equivalent LEOs don't use Isreali carry, what is a good reason for it here?

To be fair, my opinion is that an empty firearm is a stick. Yes I will press my point but I'm looking for good reasons to carry empty.
AZ Husker

Post by AZ Husker »

Up close and personal, the way many situations happen, you very well might have your off hand busy. How are you going to make your pistol ready?
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Like many others... condition 1
The grip safety was one of the reasons I chose the XD for my plastic fantastic.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I agree Harrier, when I picked up a Springer XDs45 w/grip safety, it was like shaking hands with an old friend.

If I felt as comfortable shooting it as I do my Shield45, I would still have it today.

Thumb safeties never tickled my fancy, so I went with none on my Shield45. A Shield45 with a grip safety and no thumb safety, like the Springer XDs I had, would be my ideal carry piece. I trained for so many decades to have a firm grip on my 1911's grip safety that every time I pick something up with one, my muscle memory just automatically kicks in, even to this day.

ps. Almost forgot one of the nicest points of having a grip safety. With proper training, one can absolutely eliminate a discharge from something touching/pulling the trigger upon re-holstering. That alone, is worth having a grip safety, imo.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Condition 2.