Average buffer weight for a Braced 9mm pistol.

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
thom
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Average buffer weight for a Braced 9mm pistol.

Post by thom »

I am curious what buffer weight shooters are putting in their pistols. I bought a 9mn kit (less lower 9 inch barrel) and the seller gave me an 8oz weight for it. I am having a problem with the damn thing jamming..

QuietM4

Re: Average buffer weight for a Braced 9mm pistol.

Post by QuietM4 »

What kind of jam? Apricot?

8oz is a very heavy buffer for 9mm...they typically are between 5oz-6oz.
thom

Post by thom »

More like Cherry jam. Being new to 9mm braced pistol, I just took what the seller gave me. Thanks for the suggestion of 5 or 6 oz.
Thom
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Not trying to take this off topic or criticize your purchase,...but,...in studying as much about this sort of thing I could before I decided which AR-based 9mm system to buy, I opted for the CMMG Banshee rotary semi-locking system, and I've been extremely satisfied. Primarily because it hasn't produced any such issues regardless of ammo type I've fed it.

I assembled mine from parts rather than as a factory gun, and I had a standard carbine buffer laying around so I used that just to test fire it, fully intending to replace it with a heavier one. But the damned thing has worked perfectly fine since day one and I left it in there. Had it for 4 years now and hasn't choked once. I primarily shoot 147-165 grain heavies with it, but it has eaten everything.
thom

Post by thom »

Suck My Glock wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:13 pm Not trying to take this off topic or criticize your purchase,...but,...in studying as much about this sort of thing I could before I decided which AR-based 9mm system to buy, I opted for the CMMG Banshee rotary semi-locking system, and I've been extremely satisfied. Primarily because it hasn't produced any such issues regardless of ammo type I've fed it.

I assembled mine from parts rather than as a factory gun, and I had a standard carbine buffer laying around so I used that just to test fire it, fully intending to replace it with a heavier one. But the damned thing has worked perfectly fine since day one and I left it in there. Had it for 4 years now and hasn't choked once. I primarily shoot 147-165 grain heavies with it, but it has eaten everything.
Thanks for the suggestion. What buffer weight are you using?

Thom
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

thom wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:28 pm
Suck My Glock wrote: June 9th, 2022, 10:13 pm Not trying to take this off topic or criticize your purchase,...but,...in studying as much about this sort of thing I could before I decided which AR-based 9mm system to buy, I opted for the CMMG Banshee rotary semi-locking system, and I've been extremely satisfied. Primarily because it hasn't produced any such issues regardless of ammo type I've fed it.

Thanks for the suggestion. What buffer weight are you using?

Thom
Standard carbine weight buffer. Nothing special.