Considering Optics Ready Defensive Pistols (WWAZSD)

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
BigNate
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Considering Optics Ready Defensive Pistols (WWAZSD)

Post by BigNate »

I'm considering the purchase of a new optics ready carry / defensive pistol. This will not be a race gun. My priorities are:
1) Dead reliable with essentially all factory defensive ammunition
2) Optics Ready - I don't want to cut / customize a slide to be able to equip a mainstream red-dot
3) Full capacity / compact to mid size - "fair" concealability - but I'm not looking at subcompacts (I have large hands - I've owned or shot a variety of subcompacts from Walther PPS to Sig 365 and others - they simply don't fit my hand).
4) Semi-auto pistol - not looking at revolvers

EDIT: Expanding on #2 above - I will really only consider factory stock optics ready guns. I'm a guy who will gladly mod a race or target gun - but I choose not to carry modified guns for personal defense. Just my choice.

I'm considering the following guns:
* HK VP9 (optics ready)
* Sig P226 Legion RXP
* Glock G19 MOS
* CZ P10 C (optics ready)
EDIT - Added the following based on feedback below:
* Sig P229 Legion RXP Compact
* S&W M&P M2.0

Other guns that I should be looking at? Advice?
Last edited by BigNate on March 24th, 2022, 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Joe_Blacke

Re: Considering Optics Ready Defensive Pistols (WWAZSD)

Post by Joe_Blacke »

M&P 2.0
Basher

Post by Basher »

If you’re not considering the Langdon LTT RDO, then you’re wrong and you should feel bad. 😂
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

If you are looking at a Sig P226, consider the P229 which is more a mid size gun. I carry an optic sighted P229 as my EDC. A few Gray Guns trigger parts and you will have a very nice carry piece with a single action trigger no striker fired gun can come close to.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

A red dot is not a substitute for proper training or skill. Don't trust your life to batteries.
Basher

Post by Basher »

QuietM4 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 8:30 pm A red dot is not a substitute for proper training or skill. Don't trust your life to batteries.
What’s the point you want to make with your comment, in reference to the OP’s question?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Basher wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 9:06 pm
QuietM4 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 8:30 pm A red dot is not a substitute for proper training or skill. Don't trust your life to batteries.
What’s the point you want to make with your comment, in reference to the OP’s question?
The part where the OP said "Advice?" at the end of his post.
Do you need to fill out a Hurt Feelings Report?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

QuietM4 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 9:11 pm
If you're going to critique, at the very least, be more comprehensive and expand on the context of the critique, right?

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day
Clyde
G34

Post by G34 »

I wouldnt recommend anything optics ready. And get the slide cut for that optic by a reputable smith. That way the pocket is cut for that optic and it’s press fit. I’ve seen alotnof guns have issues with aftermarket plates.
I run a Glock 45 with a Holosun 507/blacklist barrel/Zev comp and others for duty and it’s been an amazing set up.
Last edited by G34 on March 24th, 2022, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

kenpoprofessor wrote: March 24th, 2022, 4:21 am

If you're going to critique, at the very least, be more comprehensive and expand on the context of the critique, right?

Clyde
+1 :handgestures-thumbup:
Basher

Post by Basher »

No, though it’s sad that AZS has devolved to the point where someone asks for clarification on a post and that’s immediately where some people go.

The reason I asked was because the “advice” given wasn’t really in concert with what was asked, so I was curious what you angle was. Not only that, but if the point you were trying to make is that RDS on pistols are dumb, that’s kind of a dated thought process. LOADS of people, including some professional door kickers, run rifles without backup irons nowadays. I don’t agree with the practice myself (because I’ve had an Aimpoint die on me), but MY point is that it seemed like you were stating the use of an RDS was a crutch, when in reality, it’s a force multiplier.

But I agree that BUIS (for rifle and pistol) still have a place and people should know how to use them despite RDS being “the future.”

Maybe we can all calm down now instead if being wound so tight, eh? 🙂
Basher

Post by Basher »

kenpoprofessor wrote: March 24th, 2022, 4:21 am

Clyde
I wanted to know what his point was before “expanding the critique,” because the post seemed fairly vague. He could have been implying that RDS on pistols are stupid, or that the OP should be sure to be proficient with irons first, or something else. Rather than jump the gun like the MO here seems to be anymore, I sought out clarification on his comment. Instead, I got a bit of a wise-ass reply. That’s AZS anymore, it seems…
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Training, the act of teaching a person a skill, is always good but I believe you meant training and practice??

As for batteries, ten years ago I might have been more concerned, but today not so much. With many of the known manufacturers; they are achieving useable battery life of 40 to 50,000 hours of run time. The electronics have come a long way during that time. With that kind of run time, you just need to change your battery every presidential election or for some of the guys I shoot with, every time you clean your gun. :lol:

Of course the solution, if you do not want to solely rely on your RDS, is BUIS.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

Basher wrote: March 24th, 2022, 5:22 am

No, though it’s sad that AZS has devolved to the point where someone asks for clarification on a post and that’s immediately where some people go.

The reason I asked was because the “advice” given wasn’t really in concert with what was asked, so I was curious what you angle was. Not only that, but if the point you were trying to make is that RDS on pistols are dumb, that’s kind of a dated thought process. LOADS of people, including some professional door kickers, run rifles without backup irons nowadays. I don’t agree with the practice myself (because I’ve had an Aimpoint die on me), but MY point is that it seemed like you were stating the use of an RDS was a crutch, when in reality, it’s a force multiplier.

But I agree that BUIS (for rifle and pistol) still have a place and people should know how to use them despite RDS being “the future.”

Maybe we can all calm down now instead if being wound so tight, eh? 🙂
Well said Basher..
Comprehensive and expanded..
OK..everybody calm..?
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Joe_Blacke wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 4:12 pmM&P 2.0
Thanks – I’ll add it to what I eval. It is amazing how you can develop an only partially rational bias against a brand. My first handgun was a SW Sigma SW9 bought in ’94 because it was Smith and Wesson and $100 or so cheaper than the Glock that it copied. It was not a good gun – the firing pin would foul after about 100 rounds and would start to light-strike. I sent it back to SW and they fixed it (they did fix the fouling problem) but it stuck in my head and for the last almost 30 years I’ve avoided their polymer guns. Probably time for me to let it go… LOL

Basher wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 5:11 pm If you’re not considering the Langdon LTT RDO, then you’re wrong and you should feel bad. 😂
I’ve never heard of a Langdon LTT RDO – I now have homework…

I shoot regularly - as often as my wallet allows - and while I'd not call myself an "expert" (I'm no USPSA Grand Master) - I am competent with my defensive firearms. Right now I'm considering "evolving" to use a somewhat elevated tool (optic equipped handgun) - and you can sleep well knowing that I'll be practicing with it - as often as my wallet allows. No hurt feelings – and if I were a brand new shooter who thought that buying an optic was a substitute for practice – it would be good for me to hear this. Heck – it gave me the idea that by buying a handgun with optic I can justify budgeting extra ammo purchase for practice – “because it is a new platform and I really need to get a few thousand rounds through it as quickly as possible…” :-)

superduty38 wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 8:29 pm If you are looking at a Sig P226, consider the P229 which is more a mid size gun. I carry an optic sighted P229 as my EDC. A few Gray Guns trigger parts and you will have a very nice carry piece with a single action trigger no striker fired gun can come close to.
Thanks much – I’ll absolutely look at the P229 family.

G34 wrote: March 24th, 2022, 4:25 am I wouldnt recommend anything optics ready. And get the slide cut for that optic by a reputable smith. That way the pocket is cut for that optic and it’s press fit. I’ve seen alotnof guns have issues with aftermarket plates.
I run a Glock 45 with a Holosun 507/blacklist barrel/Zev comp and others for duty and it’s been an amazing set up.
Thanks much. Sounds like a very cool build. I’ve always taken the position that I want my defensive firearm(s) – things that I carry for personal defense – to be unmodified factory guns shooting factory loaded rounds. The primary reason for this is that if I were ever to use my firearm defensively I don’t want to create any opportunity for a prosecutor to portray me as a the proverbial “blood thirsty heathen who spent thousands of dollars creating his super-deadly, extra mean, custom gun shooting extra powerful hand loaded cartridges meant to inflict extra pain on poor johnny who only tried to take his wallet to feed his starving children.” 😊 I’ll do custom work on a race / competition gun and when I go to an optics eligible pistol class I’ll probably do exactly what you say above – but for a defensive carry gun I’m going to stick with a factory optic-ready gun.