School me on High Powers

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
FullMetalChef
New to ArizonaShooting.org

School me on High Powers

Post by FullMetalChef »

I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting either a 9mm 1911 or a FN High Power. I don’t know much about the HPs, other than Browning’s design and shooting it reminded me of a 9mm 1911. I’ve owned quite a few .45 1911s in the past but never a 9mm. With the cost and scarcity of ammo I’m trying to keep calibers as much the same as possible.

pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: School me on High Powers

Post by pneuby »

Have both patterns. Truth be told, I shoot the LW commander pattern probably a bit better than the HP. However, 10 + 1 is the best you'll get capacity-wise. BHP's go 15 + 1 with modern mags. Plus, the 1911 pattern you already KNOW, and your carry rigs will work.
Hprm1a

Post by Hprm1a »

I have owned an FN Belgium Hipower for probably 30? years. If you can find a deal on one then buy it. Unfortunately they have become collector pieces so prices are a lot higher than they used to be.

As for a shooter or a carry pistol I'd look at a newer striker fired 9mm.
FullMetalChef

Post by FullMetalChef »

This likely won’t be my carry gun. I have a Glock 19 for that. This is just a fun gun.

Any experience with the EAA High Power clones?
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

So far I have have been happy with my SA-35.
Great fit and and finish, functions awesome.

I have owned several Hi-powers over the years.

I prefer the steel frame on the SA-35, I like that I didn’t have to remove the magazine safety. I do like that they come with 15 round mags. The sights are very usable. No complaints. I paid $689 plus tax.
That Guy

Post by That Guy »

I get your question but it’s kinda broad. I luv P-35’s, they’re a solid, reliable, and proven design. Since you’re looking at a shooter forget buying an early one with the internal extractor or tangent sights. Then you can eliminate the P-35’s with those tiny front/rear sights. If it were me I’d try to find one of the used Israeli FN P-35’s that came into the US about 12 or so years ago. Some them were kinda beat as the Israeli’s can be hard on guns, but some were a real bargain with ambidextrous safeties, large sights, and parkerized. I personally like FN’s but Argentine and FEG P-35’s are OK as well. Frankly I wouldn’t get an SA-35 cuz’ I think they are overpriced with too many issues.
nvgdude

Post by nvgdude »

High power:
Trigger is ok, will never be as good as a 1911
Safety, generally sucks and is squishy and indistinct.
Magazine interlock - but most of us remove that crap and throw away the parts.

The new SA-35 is a nice contender though.
1 - has a more 1911ish safety, easier to manipulate
2 - they didn't even bother with the mag interlock BS.

For the most part, a Hi-power should fit in a 1911 holster, unless you are using kydex
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

Get both. Problem solved.
You'll be happy with them
FullMetalChef

Post by FullMetalChef »

Rock Hardson wrote: May 29th, 2022, 11:59 am Get both. Problem solved.
You'll be happy with them
That is the direction I’m leaning. Lol.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

have always been a believer one is not enough
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

FullMetalChef wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 8:32 am This likely won’t be my carry gun. I have a Glock 19 for that. This is just a fun gun.
When I look up these guns it looks like you are going to be in the $1100 - $1300 range. I've shot a couple of Hi Powers - never owned one. IMHO it depends on what you are looking for - and wat you mean by "[t]his is just a fun gun."
* If it is to own and shoot a piece of history - by all means go find a Browning High Power - or a derivative - and enjoy the hell out of it. They are very cool guns and they have their place in history.
* If what you mean by "just a fun gun..." is that you want something cool to plink with when you shoot with friends - I'd go buy 2 $550 guns instead and have two fun guns to shoot with more friends.
* If you mean that you want to buy a gun that you love shooting and that amazes you with its performance - and you are If you are spending that money - I'd go buy a CZ Shadow 2.

It's up to you - but for me, other than the "own and shoot a piece of history" cachet (and I do think that they have a lot of that - so if it is important to you it is a no-brainer) - I don't see these as a particularly good "gun value."

Just my 2 cents...
bill460

Post by bill460 »

As far as the Hi-Power clones go, I have the Tisas Regent Stainless Steel clone. I purchased it from Brownell's a few years back. It's been a very good running pistol. (Made in the Tisas plant in Turkey).

I'm told the EAA clones are also of Turkish manufacture. If you go with the new FN, be advised it's a differently designed weapon. It does not have the takedown notch, (one of the Hi-Power's best features), and I believe it takes proprietary magazines that hold 17 rounds. It also comes in Stainless.

The 2 lower Hi-Powers are my 75th Anniversary Edition Browning Hi-Powers. One has fixed sights. The other adjustable.