Finally shot my .460!

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Finally shot my .460!

Post by brandyspaw »

When I was younger I really liked to shoot big bore magnum revolvers. But even back then the 4 5/8" Freedom Arms 454 Casull was about my limit. I actually shot my 7 1/2" Freedom Arms more since it had less recoil but eventually that got to be too much for my wrists and hands. These days I've sold off them all off.

Now at 70 years old I find 44 Magnums in the heavier Ruger revolvers are about the most I want to endure when shooting big bore handguns. I do still shoot my S&W 44's but being lighter I have to download them a bit for my arthritic old wrists.

any4xx

Post by any4xx »

Once upon a time I put five rounds through my 460. Later that day I realized both my forearms were “sunburned.” I still have it, but haven’t had much desire to shoot it again.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

A friend mentioned his .460 to me just last week - I didn't give it much thought. Then I saw this thread and it made me go look up the specifics for that cartridge... I found this:
300 gr (19 g) JFN Buffalo Bore 2,060 ft/s (630 m/s) 2,826 ft⋅lbf (3,832 J)

Refresh the screen... yep... still there...

So I go look up energy info for 7.62 NATO - just to make sure that I have context right... I find this:
175 gr (11 g) M118 long range BTHP 2,600 ft/s (790 m/s) 2,627 ft⋅lbf (3,562 J)

I shudder to think about shooting the .460 out of any handgun that does not weigh about 20 lbs with a 14" barrel, a brake, and maybe a 50lb bipod attached... LOL
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

The variety of cartridges is really cool. I ordered some lighter stuff cause all I have is the 360 grain grizzly stuff lol
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

That is cool. I'd want 460 just able to shoot in those 3 calibers. Awesome video
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have been shooting .460 for a while ten plus years, i have S&W .460V with a 5" Barrel. It has 2 muzzle brakes one for jacketed and one for lead bullets. Its and X-frame and pretty heavy. Its not bad with full power .460 ammo, its a handful but shootable. I like it its the one i shoot most often.

I also have a S&W PC XVR 3.5" barrel Snubby i have yet to shoot. Kind of scared of it lol. Snub nosed .460 seems like a bad idea.

Recently i bought a Lipseys limited edition Magnum Research BFR in .460 with a 6" barrel. This is a big heavy single action with a bisley style grip. I have a similar gun in 45-70 and i like shooting the 45-70 even with heavy levergun loads.

Took the .460 BFR to Rio recently to shoot. Armed with some Hornady full power loads. The BFR was absolutely horrible to shoot compared to the 460V. The muzzle blast knocked insulation off the roof of the range on each shot raining it down on the benches. The grip shape and weight of the gun were not enough to tame it for me. Did not like it much at all. Plus in the BFR they don't recommend shooting .454 or .45 colt because the cylinder is so long. So that utility is gone.

I need to go try it again out in the desert but i think the BFR was a mistake, the PC 3.5 i bought on a barley pop fueled whim so we will see. The 460V is a keeper.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

As much as I like the idea of the BFR - it is the use of the old style grip that keeps me from buying one. I have never liked the SAA style grip/grip frames so I don't have anything in that style bigger than a .357.

I think you will find the 3.5" S&W not too bad to shoot. I thought it was going to be ridiculous with what I was shooting - and it was - but completely manageable with no lasting issues after running a couple cylinders through it.

My buddy with all the cameras and drones are going to go back out, and shoot some video at dusk so we get some of the muzzle flash on film.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The BFR Outing to Rio was interesting. The muzzle flash and concussion was so loud people from the other end came down to see what was going on. I was flustered by the roof blowing apart above me and gave up after a couple cylinders. I need to dawn the gloves and give it another try out on the open. The Bisley style grip has always helped mitigate recoil in my Rugers. The Same grip on my 45-70 BFR is fine. But the grip on the X-frame fills the hand better and definitely is more comfortable. Maybe i need to take the 3.5" to C2 and give it a run inside :) Can't wait to see the new video.
paulgt2164

Post by paulgt2164 »

I think the squidgy grips on the 460 PC help tame a bunch of the recoil. I didn't try it without gloves. I put the same grips on my 329pd - cause apparently the sadist at S&W thought it was a good idea to put little wood grips on that thing from the factory.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

I've had two of the 460 XVR's and the grips are designed so they don't rotate in your hand. Just keep a firm grip and ride out the recoil. The single action style grips roll in your hand. That's not bad in light recoiling rounds but, hurts like the dickens in something like the 460. I have a ton of load data developed for the 460 XVR. PM me and I'll be glad to share it to save you some wear and tear on your hands and revolvers.
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

Yeah - I'm a big fella - and not recoil shy - and I'm happy to shoot things that are heavy "for fun" (until it turns "not fun" - which with some things is after the first press of the trigger...). That said, I'm not a big hand-cannon carrier.

For folks that love that world - if you haven't found Gary Reeder in Flagstaff - you should. I bought my first pistol from him in the early '90's and he makes some hellacious wildcat pistol cartridges - and sells dies and loading data for them.

https://reedercustomguns.com/informatio ... ridges.htm

As for me - if I'm going into bear country - there is really only one answer... :-)
4570.jpg