Bullet/crimp jump Ruger LCR 9mm?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
sicc-soul
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Bullet/crimp jump Ruger LCR 9mm?

Post by sicc-soul »

I just picked up a Ruger LCR 9mm and went to the range today. I’ve heard of bullet/crimp jump with lightweight snub nose revolvers but never experienced it until today (I also have a S&W 38 air weight snub nose with no issues).

I shot Hornady Critical Defense 115g without issue. But when I went to target/fmj rounds, I had significant bullet jump every cycle and twice even had the bullet completely separate/jump from the casings.

Blazer 124g FMJ and Federal 115g FMJ were the rounds I was using with these issues.

So my question is for those with LCR 9mm’s, what type of target rounds are you using or suggest?

Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Bullet/crimp jump Ruger LCR 9mm?

Post by Suck My Glock »

I don't have a Ruger LCR 9mm,...however,...I load a lot of 9mm and have for decades.

The principle problem is that 9mm ammo is "taper-crimped", while many/most revolver cartridges like .38 special are "roll-crimped". Roll-crimping has a greater ability to "bite" the bullet and retain it securely, especially when there is a cannelure on a jacketed bullet or a crimping groove on a cast or lead one.

Some 9mm projectiles have a cannelure and will then be better suited to having a harder or more severe crimp given to it during the loading process. But smooth-sided jacketed projectiles, like most FMJ 9mm are, only allow for a relatively light taper-crimp. That tends to work ok for autoloaders they are meant for, but not lightweight revolvers.
Screenshot 2021-12-21 204736.jpg
However, when inspecting ammo for potential purchase, simply having a cannelure is no guarantee that ammo has been crimped more heavily and will resist backing out under recoil any better,...only that it CAN or COULD be, and is more likely a good purchase than smooth-sided projectile ammo.

For myself, in my decades of experience loading 9mm for use in all sorts of weapons, I've seen plenty of reason to put as heavy a crimp on my loads as possible without buckling the case. Most of those have had to do with resisting the bullet getting pushed back into the case due to rough feeding or jamming.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I've always had some issues with auto-loader ammunition in a revolver.
That's another reason autoloader leverguns are problematic.
Given enough spring pressure in the mag tube.
You'll get setback. Unless your loaded to 100 percent case fill.
Basher

Post by Basher »

I don’t have a solution for you, but when I was shopping for a small revolver, I passed on the LCR in 9mm for this specific reason. I initially thought it would be an awesome idea as I’d get a small snubbie for pocket carry around the house and such without having to add another caliber to my stash. Ultimately, I decided the usual .357/.38SPL was the best path forward so I could avoid the bullet jump problem. Hope you can find a good load that works for you!
sicc-soul

Post by sicc-soul »

044B0CD4-1A1A-4220-915A-370EDECAB2E3.jpeg
AD41E8DD-220B-4107-AA55-ECF53C68D0EA.jpeg
9AB815E1-705F-4E23-B97C-FCDFA77B868A.jpeg
Some different ammo. Winchester white box was minimal, PMC bronze showed none, and federal…..omg!