Colt Commander info needed

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Pipedoc
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Colt Commander info needed

Post by Pipedoc »

I have a close friend who is the long term owner of a 1952 Colt LW Commander SN#215xxLW. Because of his age and the snappy recoil of the pistol he is considering selling it. It sports the original grips and is mechanically very good with a very crisp trigger with almost no creep. The finish leaves a lot to be desired and I would estimate in my opinion it to be around 75% blue. I can't get the 1 poor quality pic to load and Because of the age and rareness of this early of a model I am having a hard time estimating the value for him. My Blue book is 6 years old and calls for around a grand in that condition. However obviously it's gone up quite a bit since then and I am not finding much recent info on the web. Both myself and another close friend of ours are interested in it, however we both greatly respect this man and wish to be fair to him as he wants to use the proceeds to buy a couple of new guns that would be a better fit for him now. I am not in anyway a Colt guru but sure would appreciate any POSITIVE input from the Colt fans out there. Thx Doc

martyd

Re: Colt Commander info needed

Post by martyd »

Pipedoc,
I may be too late to help you out with info.
However here is a site which is good to know about. It lists almost all the firearms there are.
But, the most important thing is it lists firearms which have sold recently and at what price, it usually has a photo of the firearm. I have found it very helpful over the past year as I was buying and selling some of my firearms. If you click on one of the firearms listed it may come up with no recent sales, I do not know what their cutoff time period is. I wish they had a way to go back over time and see selling prices.

https://truegunvalue.com/

Here is an example I recently search for on Google: used smith and wesson model 19 prices
You will see many listings such as Gunbroker, etc. If you scroll down you will see a listing on truegunvalue.com if there are recent sales of whatever gun you are searching about.

MartyD