Favorite DA/SA Firearm

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
h8pvmnt
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Favorite DA/SA Firearm

Post by h8pvmnt »

Star Megastar (Model 50) .45/10MM, Three pound tank of a gun, DA trigger sucks but its about as cool and unique as one can get in a DA/SA gun. It was too late to the market to make a hit. No real niche to fill. But was the only 10mm at the time that could handle all the full power loads you could run through it. I have one in .45 but have not been lucky enough to find one in 10MM. I do like my Ruger, Smith and Colt DA/SA Revolvers but i am sure that was not the intent of this thread.
Attachments
pix006269197.jpg

superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

My Sig P229 with some Gray Guns parts. I have two that I built to be pretty much identical. They are my EDC's. I expect never to have a reason to switch back to a striker fired gun.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Dat_Ginga wrote: November 11th, 2021, 9:44 am
Boriqua wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:09 pm DSCF3499.JPG

DSCF3658v1sm1100.JPG
A lot of Sig love on here. Those two are good looking guns.
I dont know if this is my Favorite since I think I equally love my 226 but .. this is my sparse daily EDC so ... I guess I could say the 229
EDC.jpg
Smooth like butter. I am sad to see the DA/SA's going away. Especially the metal ones. I have a glock 23 .. nice gun and it shoots well and everyone should have at least one plastic gun but .. I prefer the DA/SA only because a revolver only holds 6 rounds :mrgreen:

Might be an HK 45 LEM in my future
Last edited by Boriqua on November 11th, 2021, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

h8pvmnt wrote: November 11th, 2021, 10:40 am Star Megastar (Model 50) .45/10MM, Three pound tank of a gun, DA trigger sucks but its about as cool and unique as one can get in a DA/SA gun. It was too late to the market to make a hit. No real niche to fill. But was the only 10mm at the time that could handle all the full power loads you could run through it. I have one in .45 but have not been lucky enough to find one in 10MM. I do like my Ruger, Smith and Colt DA/SA Revolvers but i am sure that was not the intent of this thread.
I have never heard of Star. I had to look it up .. sounds awful neat!! Found this site with an old Advertisement.

http://www.star-firearms.com/firearms/g ... ndex.shtml

Cool provenance too.

http://www.star9mm.com/2017/08/history- ... mpany.html

You have cool stuff!! :mrgreen:
Basher

Post by Basher »

Boriqua wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:48 pm
Boriqua wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:09 pm DSCF3499.JPG

DSCF3658v1sm1100.JPG
I dont know if this is my Favorite since I think I equally love my 226 but .. this is my sparse daily EDC so ... I guess I could say the 229

EDC.jpg

Smooth like butter. I am sad to see the DA/SA's going away. Especially the metal ones. I have a glock 23 .. nice gun and it shoots well and everyone should have at least one plastic gun but .. I prefer the DA/SA only because a revolver only holds 6 rounds :mrgreen:

What do you mean by the DA/SAs “going away?”
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Basher wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:26 pm

EDC.jpg

That there are less of them being sold or produced. Even Sig whose bread and butter was the P series is only producing the premium models and the plastic guns. Support for the P series is near Nil. PArts can only be had from places like Numrich. Ruger abandoned its P series and while heavy as hell and nothing to look at was a fine gun

S&W has completely abandoned them in favor of the M&P. I can go on but yea .. DA/SA is considered old man boomer sh*t and is going away.

CZ is holding out but if your not a 9mm guy their offerings are small.They Do have to P07 I guess but wasnt impressed with the gun. FN used to be all about DA/SA but now focuses on their strikers. Read any forum .. young guys just aren't into it. Its dinosaur stuff.

I will bet most people under say 35 .. never even held one. Market is going to chase whats new and cool and .. unfortunately DA/SA isn't it. Times change and tastes change but its pretty easy to see that DA/SA is going away. Strikers are the future good or bad.

Hey .. I am not happy about it but .. its pretty obvious. Try and find a Manual transmission. I wanted to get one in my last new car purchase and it was offered .. yea but a year wait.

Just like me .. things age out
Basher

Post by Basher »

Eh, I don’t see them ever going away entirely, personally. They may not be huge sellers, but I don’t see them being discontinued entirely for some time. The Sig P-series still has hundreds of thousands of models in service, so parts have to come from somewhere. Langdon is bringing the 92 series back into the public eye, and CZ as you mentioned has a very devoted following (though mostly in 9mm).

Maybe in another 25-30 years they’ll die off more, but I just don’t see it happening entirely. I could be wrong, but we’ve got a few decades left yet, IMO.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Boriqua wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:52 pm
h8pvmnt wrote: November 11th, 2021, 10:40 am Star Megastar (Model 50) .45/10MM, Three pound tank of a gun, DA trigger sucks but its about as cool and unique as one can get in a DA/SA gun. It was too late to the market to make a hit. No real niche to fill. But was the only 10mm at the time that could handle all the full power loads you could run through it. I have one in .45 but have not been lucky enough to find one in 10MM. I do like my Ruger, Smith and Colt DA/SA Revolvers but i am sure that was not the intent of this thread.
I have never heard of Star. I had to look it up .. sounds awful neat!! Found this site with an old Advertisement.

Cool provenance too.

Yea i got interested in Star when my Grandmother gave me a diminutive little Star Model S in .32 ACP. That was in 1983. It was a mini 1911 without a grip safety. Being young and broke i sold it for 75.00 to fund bills. Fast Forward to the 21st Century and my interest ramped up. Found one of those little .32's just like i had that was made in 1946 and is about as nice as a gun can be that's 70 plus years old. Since then i started collecting a few here and there. That Megastar is representative of a bygone era of lanyard loops and overbuilt guns. Not much anyone can do about the current trends, all the magazines and TV shows push the latest and greatest. Hell i carry a striker fired pistol every day. But there is something cool about and old Smith and Wesson model 39 or a Walther PPK that captures the imagination and keeps the history of guns alive plus it just makes me happy. Better than spending the money on hookers and blow..... or well mostly better... Look at Single actions and Lever guns there are probably more options on the market today than there was in 1900. Things always come back around.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Basher wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:49 pm Eh, I don’t see them ever going away entirely, personally. They may not be huge sellers, but I don’t see them being discontinued entirely for some time. The Sig P-series still has hundreds of thousands of models in service, so parts have to come from somewhere. Langdon is bringing the 92 series back into the public eye, and CZ as you mentioned has a very devoted following (though mostly in 9mm).

Maybe in another 25-30 years they’ll die off more, but I just don’t see it happening entirely. I could be wrong, but we’ve got a few decades left yet, IMO.
and if i am lucky i have a decade left so if they can just hold out that long Im cool!! :)
was21

Post by was21 »

My ASP…..

“ Unseen in the best places.”
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Posted for Was 21 ....
asp.jpg
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Boriqua wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:40 pm
Basher wrote: November 11th, 2021, 1:26 pm

EDC.jpg

That there are less of them being sold or produced. Even Sig whose bread and butter was the P series is only producing the premium models and the plastic guns. Support for the P series is near Nil. PArts can only be had from places like Numrich. Ruger abandoned its P series and while heavy as hell and nothing to look at was a fine gun

S&W has completely abandoned them in favor of the M&P. I can go on but yea .. DA/SA is considered old man boomer sh*t and is going away.

CZ is holding out but if your not a 9mm guy their offerings are small.They Do have to P07 I guess but wasnt impressed with the gun. FN used to be all about DA/SA but now focuses on their strikers. Read any forum .. young guys just aren't into it. Its dinosaur stuff.

I will bet most people under say 35 .. never even held one. Market is going to chase whats new and cool and .. unfortunately DA/SA isn't it. Times change and tastes change but its pretty easy to see that DA/SA is going away. Strikers are the future good or bad.

Hey .. I am not happy about it but .. its pretty obvious. Try and find a Manual transmission. I wanted to get one in my last new car purchase and it was offered .. yea but a year wait.

Just like me .. things age out
I don’t see them going out entirely but the younger crowd did lose interest in the DA/SA guns and I have to think it’s because of all the new tactical stuff that touts striker fired guns are the best. I’ll be 30 in March and my favorite guns are the metal DA/SA offerings but that doesn’t mean my friends or coworkers share the same sentiment even though they’ll shoot all my DA/SA guns and be impressed. Every time somebody shoots my 226, 92 or Shadow 2 they always comment on those being the best feeling 9mm they’ve shot and say they want to buy one but then buy another Glock or other polymer wonder. I will say that working at a gun shop we still sell a lot of Sig P series, CZ 75 series and can never seem to keep Berettas in stock. Any Sig 226 flies off the shelf and we can’t keep any LTT or Wilson Berettas for more than a few hours. CZ’s definitely have their following and they sell just as good. I notice customers who buy a metal DA/SA gun are on average mid 30’s and older. Most of the 21-30 year olds I encounter are purchasing some sort of polymer wonder but they seem to always check out the 226, 92’s and CZ’s just because they are curious. I think the interest is there but with the younger crowd acquiring their first handgun most of them go with a gun that is easy to find holsters and accessories for at almost any local spot. A lot of the return customers that are younger look heavily at the DA/SA guns after their initial purchase especially if they went and shot one at a local range.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Boriqua wrote: November 11th, 2021, 12:52 pm

Cool provenance too.

You've seen a Megastar before, but just don't remember. In the movie HEAT, the character Waynegro, who DeNiro pops in the airport hotel room near the end, uses 2 different Megastars. In the opening armored car ambush scene, he uses a standard matte blue model. But in the hotel room, he magically has the stainless steel version.

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Magical Starvel (Nickle) one... Star never built any SS guns that I know of. Great movie reference.
RufusXG

Post by RufusXG »

Always been a huge fan of the S&W autos, have probably owned a dozen or more over the years between 9mm and 45. Also had a tricked out CZ that shot lights out. A few Berettas but the ergos never suited me that well. Casually looking for a Smith TSW with the rail, and maybe another CZ some day. Only reason I don't still carry/use the Smiths daily is you can't hang a light on them.