Favorite DA/SA Firearm

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Dat_Ginga
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Favorite DA/SA Firearm

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Recently my DA/SA guns have been going with me to the range more often than any other handguns in my collection. I’ve been shooting berettas a lot more but can never put down my CZ Shadow 2.

How many of you shoot those DA/SA guns still and why are they your favorite? Also, what DA/SA guns fly under the radar that you think should get more attention?

Basher

Re: Favorite DA/SA Firearm

Post by Basher »

If I HAD to pick just one, it would be Beretta. A 96FS was my first centerfire handgun, and I’ve always loved them. As a younger dude, the factory grips were a wee tad large for me, but as an adult they’re fine.

BUT, the thin grips VZ puts out (and that WC and LTT both use) absolutely transform them and make them even better!

But I gotta admit I’m digging my Sigs (a gun I never thought I’d like when I was younger due to the decocker and slide release locations) and my lone CZ, a PCR (really want to try an SP01 soon!).

So on short, while I tend to carry a Glock more often than not, my appreciation for, and use of, DA/SA stuff has been on the rise quite a bit lately, something I don’t see changing any time soon! Next on the list is a P228 and that SP01, then I wanna jump into S&W 3rd Gen stuff! :) Who says DA/SA stuff is dead?! :D
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

Not to try to bash this thread or the concept,...but ever since converting to the Church of Glock, I've not bothered to touch a DA/SA auto since the early 90s. Being originally a 1911 fanboy (and still loving and appreciating a finely tuned one), I'm forever spoiled on what a PROPER SA trigger pull should be. And as well, having had S&W revolvers with tuned actions, I also know what a PROPER DA trigger pull should be. So I have NEVER experienced any DA/SA auto that had either worth a damn. For me, the Glock triggers, when reduced to the 5.5 or 4.5 lb triggers are close enough to a good SA release that I have never looked back.

I sold off my Taurus 92 and Ruger P89 and S&W 5906 in the 90s and haven't missed them at all.

But,...with that said,...if anyone can tell me of a DA/SA auto that actually has a decent trigger, I'd be curious to try it out. But I'm doubtful one exists.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Basher wrote: November 10th, 2021, 7:24 pm If I HAD to pick just one, it would be Beretta. A 96FS was my first centerfire handgun, and I’ve always loved them. As a younger dude, the factory grips were a wee tad large for me, but as an adult they’re fine.

BUT, the thin grips VZ puts out (and that WC and LTT both use) absolutely transform them and make them even better!

But I gotta admit I’m digging my Sigs (a gun I never thought I’d like when I was younger due to the decocker and slide release locations) and my lone CZ, a PCR (really want to try an SP01 soon!).

So on short, while I tend to carry a Glock more often than not, my appreciation for, and use of, DA/SA stuff has been on the rise quite a bit lately, something I don’t see changing any time soon! Next on the list is a P228 and that SP01, then I wanna jump into S&W 3rd Gen stuff! :) Who says DA/SA stuff is dead?! :D

I do love those thin grips on both the LTT and Wilson berettas. I’m going to pick either one up whenever I find one. If you’re interested in the SP01 Northwest Armory in Scottsdale just got the SP01 in red and blue so they come with those aluminum grips in either color and have excellent triggers from the factory. I think they are part of their competition line.
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Suck My Glock wrote: November 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm Not to try to bash this thread or the concept,...but ever since converting to the Church of Glock, I've not bothered to touch a DA/SA auto since the early 90s. Being originally a 1911 fanboy (and still loving and appreciating a finely tuned one), I'm forever spoiled on what a PROPER SA trigger pull should be. And as well, having had S&W revolvers with tuned actions, I also know what a PROPER DA trigger pull should be. So I have NEVER experienced any DA/SA auto that had either worth a damn. For me, the Glock triggers, when reduced to the 5.5 or 4.5 lb triggers are close enough to a good SA release that I have never looked back.

I sold off my Taurus 92 and Ruger P89 and S&W 5906 in the 90s and haven't missed them at all.

But,...with that said,...if anyone can tell me of a DA/SA auto that actually has a decent trigger, I'd be curious to try it out. But I'm doubtful one exists.
I have plenty of Glocks and carry one every day for the most part when I’m not carrying a Sig 365XL. I don’t think they are bad guns and my Glock 17 has about 25k rounds through it from the years I’ve owned it and used it in many local competitions around the valley. I think they are fine guns and for most people getting into the firearms world or wanting a do it all gun I do think Glocks are an excellent option. They are the king of aftermarket parts and accessories so it only proves that Glocks are popular.

I’ve really liked the feel of the CZ’s custom shop triggers on their shadow series of guns and Wilson and Langdon Tactical both do a great job on berettas. I recommend those if you haven’t tried them.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I've always been a big Sig fan. The P220, P226, and P229 come to mind, but I don't give the DA/SA guns as much love anymore. I've been spending more time with guns that I carry, and I hate carrying a DA/SA. I'm mostly shooting a Glock and a P226 SAO.

I have carried a DA/SA in the past, but it was a V1 USP compact and you could carry that locked and cocked. I've never owned one, but I've loved shooting the HKs with the LEM triggers. To me, the LEM seemed like the best of both worlds with having the long initial trigger pull, but without the heaviness. They feel more like a striker fired gun to me.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

Only ever shot my blued P89.. :confusion-shrug:
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

DSCF3499.JPG

Post by Basher »

Suck My Glock wrote: November 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm Not to try to bash this thread or the concept,...but ever since converting to the Church of Glock, I've not bothered to touch a DA/SA auto since the early 90s. Being originally a 1911 fanboy (and still loving and appreciating a finely tuned one), I'm forever spoiled on what a PROPER SA trigger pull should be. And as well, having had S&W revolvers with tuned actions, I also know what a PROPER DA trigger pull should be. So I have NEVER experienced any DA/SA auto that had either worth a damn. For me, the Glock triggers, when reduced to the 5.5 or 4.5 lb triggers are close enough to a good SA release that I have never looked back.

The Langdon Trigger Job In A Bag does a pretty good job, actually. My LTT Elite has a very smooth DA, and while there’s more takeup on the SA than you’d find on a finely-tuned SAO gun, it’s very light and crisp with minimal over-travel. The reset is also insanely short for a DA/SA gun.

That being said, nothing beats the Beretta 92FS Compact Type M I had years ago. The DA pull couldn’t have been more than an out-of-this-world smooth 6lbs, and SA was maybe 2lbs. I don’t know who did the trigger job on it, but it was the best DA/SA trigger I’ve ever felt. Short of a S&W 66-2 I also had, it was probably the best DA trigger I’ve ever felt.

So yeah, in skilled hands, a DA/SA can be tuned quite nicely, IMO!
pneuby

Post by pneuby »

Mine would be the Smiths. More trim and compact than the Sig series, Beretta, HK, etc. The OEM DA pull is only matched/exceeded by a GrayGuns Sig, or a Langdon 92/96. Still, I've longed warmed to the classic SA 1911 and 1935, and most modern striker stuff.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Suck My Glock wrote: November 10th, 2021, 7:50 pm But,...with that said,...if anyone can tell me of a DA/SA auto that actually has a decent trigger, I'd be curious to try it out. But I'm doubtful one exists.
Walther P5 and P88.

FWIW, the worst DA/SA I've ever shot was the Detonics Pocket 9.
Razai

Post by Razai »

The P220 has a fantastic SA pull. I also love my CZ P-01 Compact’s trigger.
To each his own, but I have tried almost every trigger offered for Glocks and have yet to like any of them (and I do like Glocks). In the polymer world, the Walther PPQ reigns supreme, the the P320 and M&P 2.0 close behind.
Again…opinions.
samnev

Post by samnev »

W. German P226 and CZ 75.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

pneuby wrote: November 11th, 2021, 2:46 am Mine would be the Smiths. More trim and compact than the Sig series, Beretta, HK, etc. The OEM DA pull is only matched/exceeded by a GrayGuns Sig, or a Langdon 92/96. Still, I've longed warmed to the classic SA 1911 and 1935, and most modern striker stuff.
I had a well loved Third gen in 45 DAO .. that gun was so damn sweet. I still keep a crooked I out for a 40 or 45 but pricing has gone through the roof and mags are near impossible to find but ... yup Sweet guns
Dat_Ginga

Post by Dat_Ginga »

Boriqua wrote: November 10th, 2021, 9:09 pm DSCF3499.JPG

DSCF3658v1sm1100.JPG
A lot of Sig love on here. Those two are good looking guns.