New Gat in da house

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

New Gat in da house

Post by Boriqua »

Always fun to get a new gun .. I have been on the look out for while but the price was out of my comfort zone and we had Medical bills for the old lady. Found one somewhat reasonably priced and my Birthday on July 3rd and here is my early present from the wife! :dance:
G23 gen5.jpg
Going to get it out Saturday morning to the indoor range for a function check and then out to play with a board member next week outdoors and run it through some drills. psyched!

kenpoprofessor

Re: New Gat in da house

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Make sure you get a conversion barrel or two for that.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
was21

Post by was21 »

Dude..... it’s just a Glock 😂🤣
👍
TheJediknight

Post by TheJediknight »

oh it's getting converted.....

i love the 23

and your 19.

clyde,
nice to see you around.....
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

was21 wrote: June 17th, 2021, 3:20 pm Dude..... it’s just a Glock 😂🤣
👍
Yes but it identifies as a Sig and .. well ... I cant be judgy!! :lol:

Feels good though .. cant wait to take it for a spin . The trigger is amazingly nice. Very different than some of my past glock experiences. ..

I think that makes 4 or 5 40 S&W's Good thing I am set to load for them. If I were to convert anything I would convert one of my 40 caliber Sigs to 357 sig but I have to wait for components to become reasonable again since I am not set to load for that cartridge.

Not sure .. I parred back my cartridges to 40 and 38/357. Just easier to load up components for just a couple calibers and those are my favorites.

Still .. kind of been itching to try a 357sig
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

TheJediknight wrote: June 17th, 2021, 3:22 pm oh it's getting converted.....

i love the 23

and your 19.

clyde,
nice to see you around.....

Which one, I have many, and most of them are kit builds? I do like my purple one with the polished slide, it's definitely a one off. :o

Got three more frames on the way, supposed to be delivered tomorrow. The best part, they came with the LPKs. :mrgreen:

Clyde
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Boriqua wrote: June 17th, 2021, 3:47 pm
👍
Yes but it identifies as a Sig and .. well ... I cant be judgy!! :lol:

Feels good though .. cant wait to take it for a spin . The trigger is amazingly nice. Very different than some of my past glock experiences. ..

I think that makes 4 or 5 40 S&W's Good thing I am set to load for them. If I were to convert anything I would convert one of my 40 caliber Sigs to 357 sig but I have to wait for components to become reasonable again since I am not set to load for that cartridge.

Not sure .. I parred back my cartridges to 40 and 38/357. Just easier to load up components for just a couple calibers and those are my favorites.

Still .. kind of been itching to try a 357sig
357SIg is an odd round, recoil is even more odd, but man is it fast and shoots flat. I've got a .400 Corbon (.45acp necked down to .40) barrel for my G21, and that stuff is ridiculous expensive, I've probably shot less than 20rd from it. :o

Clyde
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Enjoy Boriqua!
Intel6

Post by Intel6 »

Nice! I like my 23, been my EDC for many years.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Kind of silly to give a mini review of a Glock since i think every gunny owns at least one but .. maybe you havent handled the Gen5's so

Took the gun out to function test at Teds yesterday.
I never thought I would say this about a glock but .. I LOVED the trigger. What a major improvement over previous versions I have had. I even like it better than the trigger on my M&P and I added an Apex trigger kit to that gun. Now I should mention .. I like a firm crisp break more than a light trigger so your mileage may very.

The sloppy sponge pickup is gone. There is of course still the pickup but it is 100% firmer so it feels more like DA because you kind of feel a connection to the trigger pull more.

I HAD a gen 5 19 and that one came with the cut out at the front and I HATED it. On this one the cut out is gone but it looks like they ddid something with the cut at the back of the mag well and possibly the shape of the backstrap because you can easily reach in to grab the mag from behind and use a lot of power should you get a stuck mag. Not only dont you see or feel it like I did on the 19 but it is actually far more effective at its given task.

The glock still has what I consider a softish frame and I guess I am spoiled since I have been shooting my Sig 229 a lot lately and you can kind of notice the soft frame on recoil. Not really a game changer in any way and I bet most people especially those who came up on plastic guns will ever notice. I do think my M&P is a bit more rigid and without timing it .. I think follow up shots are a bit more controlled but it could just be a practice thing. It is a new gun after all.

I dont recall if the older glocks came with the dual recoil spring set up but was happy to see it was steel. Like its reputation states .. it was reliable in that I tried about 5 different loadings with different bullets, bullet seat depth, coated, uncoated, 165 grain, 180 and even sent some of my flame thrower 155 hornady bullets with 9.3 gr of longshot and a handful of 180 gr HST. Not a single hiccup.

The mags are 13 rounders but it was REALLY hard to get that 13th round in so I loaded up the mags when I got home using brute force and let them sit a few hours and problem solved.

I really like the new finish. Outside of that .. Its a glock. wont win any beauty contests and it wouldnt replace my Sig P's in that special place in my heart but .. man I really really like this gun.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I love the 357sig.
Have a Sig 239 in 357sig and that pistol makes me look good on the range.

It's flashy, blasty, accurate and fun.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Boriqua wrote: June 20th, 2021, 8:07 am Kind of silly to give a mini review of a Glock since i think every gunny owns at least one but .. maybe you havent handled the Gen5's so

I never thought I would say this about a glock but .. I LOVED the trigger. What a major improvement over previous versions I have had. I even like it better than the trigger on my M&P and I added an Apex trigger kit to that gun. Now I should mention .. I like a firm crisp break more than a light trigger so your mileage may very.

The sloppy sponge pickup is gone. There is of course still the pickup but it is 100% firmer so it feels more like DA because you kind of feel a connection to the trigger pull more.

I HAD a gen 5 19 and that one came with the cut out at the front and I HATED it. On this one the cut out is gone but it looks like they ddid something with the cut at the back of the mag well and possibly the shape of the backstrap because you can easily reach in to grab the mag from behind and use a lot of power should you get a stuck mag. Not only dont you see or feel it like I did on the 19 but it is actually far more effective at its given task.

The glock still has what I consider a softish frame and I guess I am spoiled since I have been shooting my Sig 229 a lot lately and you can kind of notice the soft frame on recoil. Not really a game changer in any way and I bet most people especially those who came up on plastic guns will ever notice. I do think my M&P is a bit more rigid and without timing it .. I think follow up shots are a bit more controlled but it could just be a practice thing. It is a new gun after all.

I dont recall if the older glocks came with the dual recoil spring set up but was happy to see it was steel. Like its reputation states .. it was reliable in that I tried about 5 different loadings with different bullets, bullet seat depth, coated, uncoated, 165 grain, 180 and even sent some of my flame thrower 155 hornady bullets with 9.3 gr of longshot and a handful of 180 gr HST. Not a single hiccup.

The mags are 13 rounders but it was REALLY hard to get that 13th round in so I loaded up the mags when I got home using brute force and let them sit a few hours and problem solved.

I really like the new finish. Outside of that .. Its a glock. wont win any beauty contests and it wouldnt replace my Sig P's in that special place in my heart but .. man I really really like this gun.
I agree, the Glock triggers are not horrible, but they do need some work to make them feel "different" :mrgreen: On that note, I just put together 3 more Polymer80 frames, 2 19's and a 17. The barrels hung up in the mail, they haven't moved in 6 days :twisted: , and the slides and slide kits will be here by the weekend :dance: :dance: :mrgreen: The slides I found were Gen3 with MOS cuts, and they were as inexpensive as I've ever seen them. I did pay a bit more for the barrels than I normally have. The price was very low last time I bought, and they increased almost 50% :o

Clyde
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

👍
Ok .. Sorry about that .. bringing up a gun purchase on the Covid Vaccine forum. I will just say .. last week I got another one of these
IMG_20210624_082141992.jpg
Really like the other stuff that came with it in the box .... had it out a couple times .. like it very much :dance:
Last edited by Boriqua on June 24th, 2021, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 22nd, 2021, 4:23 pm
Boriqua wrote: June 20th, 2021, 8:07 am Kind of silly to give a mini review of a Glock since i think every gunny owns at least one but .. maybe you havent handled the Gen5's so

I agree, the Glock triggers are not horrible, but they do need some work to make them feel "different" :mrgreen: On that note, I just put together 3 more Polymer80 frames, 2 19's and a 17. The barrels hung up in the mail, they haven't moved in 6 days :twisted: , and the slides and slide kits will be here by the weekend :dance: :dance: :mrgreen: The slides I found were Gen3 with MOS cuts, and they were as inexpensive as I've ever seen them. I did pay a bit more for the barrels than I normally have. The price was very low last time I bought, and they increased almost 50% :o

Clyde
I am a dyed in the wool tinker. I may have to try a kit before they are sacrificed to new gun laws. Looks like fun. may start a thread on how to get started. Guess I can purchase a complete slide on GB or should I start with a naked slide and buy all the internals?
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Boriqua wrote: June 24th, 2021, 8:28 am

I am a dyed in the wool tinker. I may have to try a kit before they are sacrificed to new gun laws. Looks like fun. may start a thread on how to get started. Guess I can purchase a complete slide on GB or should I start with a naked slide and buy all the internals?
There's some on Fleabay from Karri's guns for a slide, but you can do a naked slide and buy the barrel and slide kit. 17 slides and kits are still available, 19s won't be for a while.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184856767782

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184841504453

Clyde