New Gat in da house

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
pvreb
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: New Gat in da house

Post by pvreb »

Boriqua wrote: June 20th, 2021, 8:07 am Kind of silly to give a mini review of a Glock since i think every gunny owns at least one but ..
There are many gun owners who would not own a Glock or similar because of the trigger "safety."

kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

pvreb wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:07 pm
Boriqua wrote: June 20th, 2021, 8:07 am Kind of silly to give a mini review of a Glock since i think every gunny owns at least one but ..
There are many gun owners who would not own a Glock or similar because of the trigger "safety."
Which one, there's three safeties on a Glock? If you're so thoughtless and inept you need an external safety, I'd say you probably shouldn't own a gun to begin with. :o

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

True .. I know of at least one board member that I have spoken to in person several times who I believe only or mostly buys guns with an external safety or some type of "real" DA.

Still, it may have changed with the Sigs being chosen for the US military but I would still wager .. maybe incorrectly that worldwide sales of the Glock are near or at the top of the list in handguns.

I am by NO means a glock fanboy and have purchased and sold of quickly at least three of them because they left me wanting but playing the averages .. I still bet there are a fair share of people on this board and others like them that have or have had one just based on glock sales.

Do I have to be a little more diligent than I might with my Sig 229 .. I would be lying if I said no

but .. then just practice being more diligent across the board. The system is safe. I should know .. I wiped out on my motorcycle while carrying my M&P 2.0 appendix. Slide around on my belly a bunch and wore the screws on my holster flat but .. still have the doodle.

I will add... my particular example Glock 23 has a heavy enough break and pickup that you would have to work at having a NG.

In the end .. everyone should do and buy what they are comfortable with. Great to have choices.
was21

Post by was21 »

I would opine that If a person doesn’t feel “safe” with a Glock then they are not “safe” with any other weapon.

Relying on a mechanical device to be “safe” is a crutch. Crutches fail....Safeties can get bumped off/fail.... decocking devices can fail....finger ( and something between the ears) is the safety.

I grew up with 1911’s and now run Glock for the most part. In hundreds of matches/ classes/ training for 40 years I have seen more ND’s with “safetied” pistols than without. Just an observation FWIW
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

was21 wrote: June 24th, 2021, 1:30 pm

I would opine that If a person doesn’t feel “safe” with a Glock then they are not “safe” with any other weapon.

Relying on a mechanical device to be “safe” is a crutch. Crutches fail....Safeties can get bumped off/fail.... decocking devices can fail....finger ( and something between the ears) is the safety.

I grew up with 1911’s and now run Glock for the most part. In hundreds of matches/ classes/ training for 40 years I have seen more ND’s with “safetied” pistols than without. Just an observation FWIW

kenpoprofessor wrote: June 24th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Which one, there's three safeties on a Glock? If you're so thoughtless and inept you need an external safety, I'd say you probably shouldn't own a gun to begin with. :o
:o

Yep, yep, and some yep again. My grandfather almost shot my knee with a 1911 he brought back from the war. He was going to "clean it", didn't follow protocol, and popped off a round through the floor of our trailer as I was sitting next to where he pointed it to clear it. :o From then on, I've had a distaste for the platform, and for external safeties, whether they be in the grip, switch, or both.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde
was21

Post by was21 »

Don’t confuse guys with facts Clyde!

It also amuses me when the die hard 1911 guys ... “gotta have a real safety” /“Glocks don’t have a safety”..... have no problem with pinning down their grip safeties “ in case I get a bad grab”
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Well .. I have deemed it and myself combat ready with this gun. Been going out with was 21 that last couple of months and he offers up some awesome shooting advice and feedback which has been really upping my shooting game but ... it being a new gun I wont carry it until it proves itself to me and I prove out with it.

At this point I have about 300-400 trouble free rounds through it and we do VERY little slow target stuff.

Loving the gun and never thought I would say that about a glock. FYI .. the slide is a touch wider than previous generations so unless your running a leather holster or are not afraid to take a heat gun to an existing holster .. it wont fit in your old holsters and finding holsters for the Gen 5 23 is way spotty.

Trying to load 13 rounds in the 13 round mag is a BIT*H!!! I have loaded them up and have them sitting around hoping to break in the spring but I think I have to load and unload several times but .. you need kung fu grip (thumb) if you want to try and get 13 rounds in there. I sh*t you not.

I dont ever load +1 so I carry a 13 rounder with one in the pipe and 12 in the mag but I dont like to feed a round remove the mag top it off and send it home so .. I will just have to break them in some more.

Soft recoil, still love the trigger and about the only problem I am having with it is with that stupid take down tab thingy. Jeez I dont know how anyone can lever them down with out one side going up but .. guess I will get used to it.

Nice gun .. if your a .40 guy .. highly recommend it.
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

I really need to finish my GST-9.
Eddy1
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Eddy1 »

Nice!
The g23 is one of my favorites and I did just that, picked up a .357sig drop in for that and my g22. For the g22 I went with a Lone Wolf barrel and it’s been great. I can’t remember who made the barrel for my g23. I don’t like it as much because it’s ported and sticks out too much but I was at a show and snagged it for $50 so I can’t really complain.