Kahr P380 vs Kimber 380 Micro

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
varnco
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Kahr P380 vs Kimber 380 Micro

Post by varnco »

I have been a happy owner of a Kahr P380 for about 4 or 5 years now, and like the gun a lot. I sometimes forget I have it.

I've been intrigued by the new Kimber Micro 380, but I really like the DAO (and no safety) on the Kahr. Not sure I'm a fan of 1)SA and 2)Safety.

Anyone every make a switch for your EDC from DAO to SA?

I just like the "safety" of DAO. I'd even like a DA/SA.

Flash
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Kahr P380 vs Kimber 380 Micro

Post by Flash »

I switched from a Kahr PM9 to a Sig P220 SAO a few years back. Carrying cocked and locked seems no different to me than carrying a striker fired with the exception of teaching yourself to pop the safety off as the gun comes up on target. Just do a bunch of reps every day for a few days and you'll have it down pat.
varnco

Post by varnco »

My concern is if the safety pops off, I have a 4lb trigger pull vs 7 for the kahr.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have both and i have never been comfortable with the single action in a pocket holster. That's just a mental thing for me. But with proper training i am sure either is safe. For me though i just won't carry it. More of a novelty in my mind. That said i don't carry the Kahr either. I always go back to the LCP for pocket carry.
A_C Guy

Post by A_C Guy »

It really depends on how many different guns you have. I have found that with too many different types of handguns, SA, DA/SA, DAO, I find myself unsure about my Kimber SA. Is the safe On or is it Off? types of thought enter my mind, so I am constantly checking it. With the DA/SA, I don't worry because it is a long and relatively heavy pull for the DA so I don't worry about a ND.
If I only had one handgun, I would not be concerned because I would know the gun better. When the gun is just one of many, that is when you can make a mistake and then you get to say :o "I thought it was safe...." after the ND. I only carry DA/SA on my person or in my vehicles. The SA's are for range use only. That's how I keep things safe.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I've always had a little worry wart in the back of my mind when carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. It's those unexpected incidents when least expected that gum things up.
I liked the S&W 3rd gen DA with decocker as you could have the hammer down on a chambered round and simple flip the decocker off like a safety then use DA.
Striker pistols are similar to having C&L, except most have a trigger safety - we've all heard how well that works and the ND's police seem to be prone to. That's one reason I chose the XD platform, trigger safety plus grip safety. I still use the the other systems, I just prefer the XD.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

h8pvmnt wrote: July 6th, 2018, 8:21 am I have both and i have never been comfortable with the single action in a pocket holster. That's just a mental thing for me. But with proper training i am sure either is safe. For me though i just won't carry it. More of a novelty in my mind. That said i don't carry the Kahr either. I always go back to the LCP for pocket carry.
Agreed!

I have never gotten past the handling stage at the gun store counter, with a pocket pistol that has a thumb safety. I may have missed some, but, what I have handled just didn't have a thumb safety large enough for me to feel confident in hitting 100% of the time. I understand perfectly well that a pocket pistol with a protruding thumb safety is not productive, so I just passed on the whole idea, on all of them.

I have read opinions that the small/hard to disengage thumb safety doesn't have to be used/activated when carried. That to me is just stupid. I would be checking it even if I didn't activate it. Better to not have a thumb safety, than have one you don't use, imo.

I have a very compact kydex pocket holster that I modified, it replaces my need for a manual safety, quite nicely. It allows a chamber check and racking the slide/emptying the chamber, without ever exposing the trigger. I highly recommend it for any pocket pistol with, or without a thumb safety.

Here is a home page link with better price, temporary sale price $15!

http://www.boraii.com/