Is Number of Rounds Fired Important?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Packer
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Is Number of Rounds Fired Important?

Post by Packer »

Three years ago I offered for sale on Armslist a Dan 'Wesson full sized 1911 in 45ACP. I believed the price to be fair and listed new grips, a fiber optic front sight and extra magazines. Lots of low balls which I passed until I received one reasonable serious buyer who was interested in rounds fired through the pistol. I could have said "no more than 300" and the buyer and I may have concluded the sale. While 300 would have been low and false on my part, the buyer would probably not know the difference. But I said 1500 which was reasonably accurate. DW say 500 for break-in. I had used the 1911 for IDPA and found it to be perfect and shot it for matches for my first IDPA year. However, I wanted a much nicer Dan Wesson and this pistol quickly went in the safe. The buyer wanted low round count and passed. A quality 1911 is shootable for many thousands of rounds with proper care and maintenance. My second DW is high round count and far more accurate than I am able to shoot. And that is my point, high initial quality, good care and maintenance is the measure of what to look for in weapon purchase, not round count. My first Dan Wesson in still in my safe and that first buyer paid someone more and may have purchased a very poorly maintained, possibly unsafe weapon with low round count. A few more Dan Wessons later, my second is still my most worn and favorite. One of these days the first goes to a quality "smith" for better sights, possibly color-case hardening and improved gripping surfaces. Then off to a grandson.

Jack Dupp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Is Number of Rounds Fired Important?

Post by Jack Dupp »

Apparently it was to your almost-buyer.

I'd say with the custom/semi-custom 1911 crowd, low round count is important. After all, MOST (but not all) guys aren't going to shoot a ton of rounds through the nicer 1911s. Many of them just take Nagata-type pics of them and share them with the droolers on the internet. Not shoot and compete with them like you do.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

I went through a Glock phase and got a new one every year under blue label. Guy must have bought 5 used from me all very low round count and well cared for. This always came up, the round count question I mean. Looked into what the internet had to say about lifespan and durability of Glocks. Unless it is a range gun you should be fine. Buyers market though.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

I've always assumed that the round count is inaccurate because no one can prove anything. I have always simply inspected the weapon for wear. If it doesn't look like its been abused, fine, I'll take it. But even that doesn't tell the whole story. 1000 rounds of soft-recoiling low-pressure practice ammo is not as abusive to a gun as 200 rounds of +P+ duty ammo. Has the guy been running his super-magnum reloads through it? No way to know.

The only time I would be interested in the round count somebody attempts to sell me on is if it is an alloy frame gun. Specifically, any alloy framed 1911. Those have been notorious for cracking if fired with a diet of anything but soft loads.

Back in the day when I used to shoot stock class IPSC at local matches with my carry Glocks, I averaged about 1000 rounds per month between weekly and monthly matches. One G19 I carried and shot for 5 years ate at least 50,000 rounds and was still operating optimally when I traded it off. I wouldn't have any qualms about buying it back if I was in the market.
deanq

Post by deanq »

People that ask for"round count" are internet noobs. They heard it on the internet. Short of a in-person inspection, it can be difficult to asses the use of a firearm, aside from obvious rust, dings and abuse.
It's "low round count".
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

Unfortunately, all of my firearms are low round count...
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

guess it depends on your intention when you buy the gun.

If you are thinking of stowing as a collector round count may be more important to you than a shooter but I would never lie about the round count to make a sale because another buyer will be along and my integrity means more than a quick sale.

I have posted a bunch of guns on here and the old board and my round counts are guestimates since I don't count every round fired but are pretty accurate. Im funny in that I can tell in the first 300-500 whether I will love the gun and if not I let it go.

1500 rounds for a steel 1911 is barely past break in and I wouldnt blink about buying it if it were priced right but .. I dont keep or buy anything I wont shoot.

About a year ago I picked up a Model 28 in EXC condition from a board member. Finish was pristine. I think the gun is gorgeous and it was certainly at least on the lower end of collector value.

I ran out and shot it.

Now its resale is diminished since it shows some where at the pivot at the cylinder and ... that is awesome because now its mine.

Even most aluminum frame guns will go 50,000 rounds. I doubt I would get close to that in the rest of my life.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

Handgun sales are still through the roof but ammo prices and component scarcity caused round count to fall off a cliff. Near future may brings ads like "4 years old, less than 100 rounds fired, you finish break-in".
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

It's one thing I'll ask about when negotiating deals. It's not that I care about the actual number. Hell, 10x that number through an all steel 1911 wouldn't phase me.

But if they tell me it's something low, and inspection reveals serious wear I'll assuming their lieing for one reason or another and assume it's got issues they don't want to deal with. I'll either renegotiate, or walk away at that point.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

I never really count the rounds fired,
but when selling a gun I will give a believable round count if I am asked.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

Boriqua wrote: February 18th, 2021, 8:08 am
About a year ago I picked up a Model 28 in EXC condition from a board member. Finish was pristine. I think the gun is gorgeous and it was certainly at least on the lower end of collector value.

I ran out and shot it.

Now its resale is diminished since it shows some where at the pivot at the cylinder and ... that is awesome because now its mine.

Even most aluminum frame guns will go 50,000 rounds. I doubt I would get close to that in the rest of my life.
Friend once sold me two CS-1 686 3in and 4in. Now they are not rare as hens teeth but long search awaits those looking. He is a collector of sorts and does not shoot in years, I owned both less than an hour and did 100rounds per revolver. Happiness is a warm gun.
Robert1234

Post by Robert1234 »

Paid $150.00 for this beauty. Assuming low round count,, and it's all holster wear...
20210220_160619.jpg
Seriously though, it shoots nice.
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

Robert1234 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:55 pm Paid $150.00 for this beauty. Assuming low round count,, and it's all holster wear...

20210220_160619.jpg

Thats actually a perfect car or boat gun. Works but can be stolen or lost without emotional attachment.
Robert1234

Post by Robert1234 »

etprescottaz01 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 10:54 am
Robert1234 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 6:55 pm Paid $150.00 for this beauty. Assuming low round count,, and it's all holster wear...

20210220_160619.jpg

Thats actually a perfect car or boat gun. Works but can be stolen or lost without emotional attachment.
I don't get emotionally attached to guns, but if I did, I'd be attached to ugly ducklings like the one I posted. I'm weird that way...
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have never ask someone how many rounds have been through a gun when I am looking to buy.
I look at the gun and make up my own decision on it's value and condition.

Unless I know the owner personally , I take everything they say with a grain of salt.
Over the years I have heard too many outright lies and BS come from people selling used guns.