Colt 1911?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Colt 1911?

Post by Boriqua »

What is the general consensus on the modern manufacture Colt 1911's? Any input would be helpful even if you just read it somewhere and specifically about the Combat commander would be a bonus for me!

YNOTAZ

Re: Colt 1911?

Post by YNOTAZ »

I carried one for years as a backup when uniformed and tucked away when in plain clothes. I had to qualify with it as a second gun 4 times a year on a combat course and it never failed. I owned several of them during that period through buy, sell, trades and all of them functioned flawlessly. I sold my last one, a brushed nickel, many years ago.

About 4 years ago I created a deal on a 3-week-old, never fired, Para Expert Commander. I’ve only had it out a couple times but it ate everything I fed it so I feel comfortable with it for EDC.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

I currently have a Willey Clapp LW Commander 45 and had a recent blued XSE Gov't 45. The XSE was great, accurate, reliable but got sold in favor of something new and shiny.

The Commander is without a doubt the best semi- auto I've ever shot. Rattles like a baby toy, but will flat eat out the center of a bullseye.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Probably wont/cant happen for a few months yet by I am jonesing for a 1911 again. The only thing I think is missing from my meager collection.

I love the Fusion Commander but .. I am a little uncomfortable with laying all the money out front and then waiting 3-4 months. I mean .. companies go under and then they have your money. If I find one on Gunbroker .. maybe.

The colt is THE 1911 but I am reading reviews from its awesome to not so much but I was told if you are going to only own ONE 1911 it should be a colt and I really like the Combat commander

and three and in no order .. well kinda no order .. the Ruger SR1911 commander. I have had nothing but awesome experiences with ruger customer service if I needed it, currently own three revolvers and have probably sold off another 3.

All three are around the $1000 ish mark. I dont know anything about Colt customer service or warranty but .. man it is a classic and if I am going to have only one ??
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have the Colt Wiley Clapp Stainless Commander, Model: O4040WC, A newer(5 years or less) Production Stainless Colt Cup Trophy and a recently acquired Two Tone Delta Elite 10 MM. All are fantastic guns. The Wiley Clapp Commander is one of the best 1911s i own. The Gold Cup is not as well put together as my original series 70 royal blue gold cup but its still nice and one that i shoot a lot. The old series 70 GC never gets touched because its too nice.....I know thats stupid!
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

The only 1911 i own that i don't like is my Ruger SR-1911. I too am a ruger fan, i thought why not get a Ruger 1911. So me being an opportunist i bought a gently used one from a seller on the old AZ Shooting board for a really nice price. Was like new in the box with a few extras. Took it out shooting right away and it ran fine until i tried a magazine other than the 2 than it came with. No other 1911 magazine would seat into the magwell and function correctly. It was like the mag catch was in the wrong place or was incorrectly sized. Me being a tinkerer i took on fixing it. Bought mag catches and locks, hand fitted them till every magazine i inserted would lock up properly. But low and behold the gun still malfunctions with any magazine except the 2 it came with. I got frustrated and put it away intending to send in to Ruger but have not gotten around to it. I don't know if that was a common problem or an early design flaw. But i think any 1911 should function with any quality 1911 magazine. I mean i have an old Ballerina Molester that's not even exactly a 1911 and it runs with any 1911 mag i insert into it. I need to dig the ruger out and sent it in.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

The Current Colts are supposed to be the finest they've ever made. You won't get the high polish blue of yesteryear, but functionaly I've heard almost nothing but glowing reports.

The Rugers seem to be getting high marks as well. I'm considering one in 10mm.

I've had good luck with Kimber, as long as you stick with a 5" most brands seen to be good to go, the 3" guns can be tricky to make 100% functional all the time.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

Got a NEW colt government model, I don't know 1911 as this is a solo. Friend sold me a kimber raptor years ago, I wanted another having let that go. Friend talked me into this, does not look as "pretty" but it will shoot your eye out like a bb gun under the tree. It is a very nice gun I can shoot pretty close to where I point it. In short a keeper.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

The only bad 1911 I ever owned was a Para Warthog. It was an absolute jam-o-matic. I wasted a box of ammo and never got through one mag one mag without some type of Jam. Sent it back to Para, they said mags were bad and barrel ramp was bad. I had to wait a long time until they did another run of barrels for the warthog but finally they did and replaced everything but the frame.

It left such a bad taste I never shot it and sold it unfired to a member of the old board.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

I have a couple of almost every maker, DW for me are the best, colts meh, ok, ria have some with over 10k and nary an issue. also the norinco's have been awesome, in the a1 config. they again have more rounds thru them than i can remember. I normally carry a para slim hawg, love it, shoot it well, old gal when carrying large carries same size as hawg but a lda. she loves it.

I have quite a few springfield units and very well put together,
i have tried more kimbers than i can remember, and never, never had one run reliably not sure why, as they are a beautiful rendition of the 1911, and appear to be assembled well, but again, never been able to get one to run.

I have an auto ordinance from way back, with 10mm conversion kit, wowza, nice shooter,

the old work horse for me still does it, don't carry it as much, but when the urge is great, it rides high and hopefully shoots where i send it.
best for the day
Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

I have had at least 5 Rock islands and I wouldn't kick one out of bed. They always just worked and offer a lot of good for the money.

My issue is .. I prefer Commander size 1911's and rock island only offers those in that Fugin bull barrel configuration where you have to get out a bent paper clip and do magic to break them down. Hate it! I just prefer a traditional set up with bushing and plug.

I also wish they worked more toward compatibility with off the shelf parts. With the rocky's I found you have to kind of love it how you got it because standard 1911 parts dont always work without a ton of fitting or modifying.

I have time .. there aint no guns out there anyway. The only New colts I am seeing in Combat commander are in that girly caliber. I will wait it out. Eventually one will pop up new on gunbroker. In the mean time I have to try and find a little ammo and maybe even some large primers. Im in no rush.

Had my sig 229 out two days ago .. Oh so much fun
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Here's my Willey Clapp.

This thread needs more pictures!
Attachments
di1V0FM.jpg
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Hammer 35 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:42 pm Here's my Willey Clapp.

I think I got a little chub on that one!!! :dance:

Alright ... colt Combat commander it is .. when I can find one new! or a nice used one
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

Boriqua wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:55 pm
Hammer 35 wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:42 pm Here's my Willey Clapp.

I think I got a little chub on that one!!! :dance:

Alright ... colt Combat commander it is .. when I can find one new! or a nice used one
To be fair...
I had a Springfield Loaded stainless steel Champion (their version of a Commander) that I got in trade on a steal. After I got it back from Springfield (it strung horribly, 5-6" groups @10yrds) it shot alllllllmost as well as the Colt. To Springfield's credit, they fitted a new barrel and a fresh set of Trijicons after I fully disclosed I was not the original owner for free, even picked up shipping and had it back to me in under two weeks about 4 years ago. I'd buy one of their products if I was in the market for something they made.
Attachments
d9yMAyQ.jpg
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Good luck on your 1911 quest boriqua, my vote goes to Colt