Colt 1911?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
Robert1234
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Colt 1911?

Post by Robert1234 »

If my 2017 Gold Cup National Match 9mm is any indicator, they're rattly, poorly fit, overpriced guns. Short on features (no front strap checkering) for the price. Par for the course for Colt semi-autos, in my experience.

coltnut

Post by coltnut »

My vote goes to Colt,imagen that.
The current model Colts are some of the best made.CNC machined on new CNC equiptment.
If your looking for bell's and whistles go with DW.
I have various current and not so current Colt 1911's,favor the current series 70 models-especially
the Willey Clap models.
I probably owned the noisiest Colt Special Combat,loud baby rattle when shook.Bought this brand new.
Biggest dissapointment before i shot it.And one day at the range,with some Baers and Wilsons getting a workout,i decided to see how my Colt Babyrattle would do.Sumbitch shot better and more accurate than my highend guns!! That Colt babyrattle toy ran everything and anything thru without a hiccup.One of the most accurate 1911's i have ever owned.
My 3 most reliable and accurate 1911's were Springfield Professional,Springfield Brazilian Loaded model,Colt Special Combat.Many others were very close but these three that i have stood out compared to rest regardless of price.
The Brazilian Springer that i landed just somehow is laser accurate,all bone stock with a 2 piece barrel and all.
Razai

Post by Razai »

I have had them all. If not for my love of Dan Wessons, I’d only own Springers. Colt failed me too many times, and their “included features” list is ridiculous.
samnev

Post by samnev »

I own a Colt WW II 1911A1 in excellent condition. Fired it a few times. But my favorite 1911's are the S&W 1911 and surprisingly the Taurus PT 1911 which is my most accurate 1911.
Hammer 35

Post by Hammer 35 »

coltnut wrote: December 13th, 2020, 7:53 am My vote goes to Colt,imagen that.
The current model Colts are some of the best made.CNC machined on new CNC equiptment.
If your looking for bell's and whistles go with DW.
I have various current and not so current Colt 1911's,favor the current series 70 models-especially
the Willey Clap models.
I probably owned the noisiest Colt Special Combat,loud baby rattle when shook.Bought this brand new.
Biggest dissapointment before i shot it.And one day at the range,with some Baers and Wilsons getting a workout,i decided to see how my Colt Babyrattle would do.Sumbitch shot better and more accurate than my highend guns!! That Colt babyrattle toy ran everything and anything thru without a hiccup.One of the most accurate 1911's i have ever owned.
My 3 most reliable and accurate 1911's were Springfield Professional,Springfield Brazilian Loaded model,Colt Special Combat.Many others were very close but these three that i have stood out compared to rest regardless of price.
The Brazilian Springer that i landed just somehow is laser accurate,all bone stock with a 2 piece barrel and all.
I think I mentioned my Willey Clapp was a rattler. That thing will eat just about anything though. SWC's, every type of HP I've tried, heck even empty cases. I only run 8rd Checkmate mags in all my 1911's. It's probably about due for a new recoil spring now that I'm thinking about it.
Pima Pants
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Pima Pants »

I'm kinda late to the party, but earlier this year I bought a Colt Defender 1911 from a member of this board. It functions flawlessly. It is the second Defender I have owned in the last 30 years and the first one also functioned perfectly. I have no idea why I sold the first one except that something shiny caught my eye at the time. It may have been a CZ-75. I am keeping this Defender. I'm 66 years old, disabled, and in very poor health, so it will be with me until I expire.
TomI

Post by TomI »

I have a Colt Government Gunsite pistol, it will be a pistol that I will never part with. I carried it on duty for years, and CCW it as well for years. It has never missed a beat and is just a solid, accurate, dependable gun. I must admit, that the G19 has replaced it for my CCW now, but that Colt will always have a special place in my heart and in my safe
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

In my experience.
Had:
2x 1991 5" .45acp
1× Officers lightweight

If you can get a good price for one buy one. There's nothing special about them.

I still have the lightweight Officers model. Since it's so light. But I'm not gonna put 50 rounds at a time through it. Snappy and unpleasant to fire but great to carry.

Traded the 2 government models for 3 Norinco 1911s. Best trade i ever made for a 1911. Everything but the finish is better on the chi-com pistols.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I've had several 1911's over the years, but I sold them all off. I like them, they are a great gun but anymore I want a rail for a light or laser, so if I get another it will have to have that feature... probably a 2011 I think they call them.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Harrier wrote: December 21st, 2020, 5:54 pm I've had several 1911's over the years, but I sold them all off. I like them, they are a great gun but anymore I want a rail for a light or laser, so if I get another it will have to have that feature... probably a 2011 I think they call them.
Springfield has a couple models with rail. I am kind of anti rail when it comes to 1911's but I wouldn't kick one out if bed.

My TRP is the one gun I truly ever regretted selling.
XNARC

Post by XNARC »

Something shiny....

Same here...I thought the Sig was sexier, but I miss my Colt Commander. Will probably wait for things to settle and start looking for another one.
Robert1234

Post by Robert1234 »

Bought a new 9mm Gold Cup National Match in 2017. Not impressive. Gun rattled like a baby toy. Barrel had play at the bushing and at the rear lugs. Even installing an EGW bushing up front didn't help the rear lugs, too much vertical play there.

It worked and looked cool (I dig blued guns), but wasn't what you would expect from a Gold Cup. Wasn't cheap either.
twoaussies
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by twoaussies »

I have a Colt XSE Govt. blued and my thoughts are that the stamping in the slide were done and not smoothed out after stamping before bluing, looks cheap. The pistol shoots great but the safety was very loose and the entire pistol is looser feeling than any other I own
Wulfenite

Post by Wulfenite »

I'm at a point of surplus on 1911s. I cut my teeth on a Colt series 80 Gold Cup in SS, circa 1995. With an upgraded barrel, it eats the center out of bullseyes as someone has mentioned above. My wife competed with hers. She used a Combat Commander with similar success and now uses a Ruger midsize 1911 in 9mm. We both recommend Ruger's full-size 1911 for out of the box reliability and accuracy.

We're going to need to thin the herd, though.
VITAXIN

Post by VITAXIN »

I've bought and sold (approx.) 15 Colt 1911's in my life,
because I was offered much more than I paid for them,
and I only have 2 now, which I'll NEVER sell; a stainless
Delta Gold Cup 10mm and a stainless Defender .45