38 super ?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 38 super ?

Post by pneuby »

I recall Dane Burns of Pistolsmith.com being a huge proponent of that 9.23 when it was intro'd.
I'd literally forgotten all about it. I'm told that's why 9x21 is poplular in Europe, as 9mm is 'military'.
It would seem to me that 9x21 in a modern pistol could be boosted above 9mm power, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Harrier

Post by Harrier »

The Super is essentially a 9mm magnum and can be easily hot-nodded.
If it were more mainstream I wouldn't have sold mine and probably would standardize on it instead of 9mm, but there's not a wide selection or pocket sizes available... sort of like the 41 mag- nice specs but not a lot of interest. Other than the semi-rim headspace design (fixed by the 9x23), the primary fail is the need for longer 1911 size magazines. It makes for a handful in a double-stack grip.
Last edited by Harrier on November 23rd, 2020, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

So it uses unique brass but Small Pistol primers and any 9mm bullets? I read at one source it prefers magnum primers .. any truth to that?

Aint got me no money for a new gun purchase but .. this 38 super thing just appeared on my radar and i must admit I am intrigued and in previous intrigued phases I found a few dollars in the seat cushion.

I have had plenty of 1911's but dont currently own one and I think I need one to fill out my meager collection. I do love shooting them!

Have been looking at another 45 and even have brass set aside already but .. this 38 super sounds fun and amazingly I am finding brass available just fine and even some nice pricing on Ammo.... Hmmmmm
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

The other issue I had was my ramped barrel was fitted to the frame so i couldn't just swap out any 'ol barrel and convert it- don't know if the new ones or colt are any different but if it was me i'd want the ramped barrel. I would have like to have it in 9mm for compatibility and ammo logistics even though I reload and had 2k+ of cases - in my old days i'm trying to get down to just 2 or 3 pistol calibers.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Harrier wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 4:55 pm i'm trying to get down to just 2 or 3 pistol calibers.
That's funny. I just finished doing this and here I am thinking about adding another caliber!? Ugh

Got it down to loading for 40 and 38/357
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

pneuby wrote: November 23rd, 2020, 2:26 pm I recall Dane Burns of Pistolsmith.com being a huge proponent of that 9.23 when it was intro'd.
I'd literally forgotten all about it. I'm told that's why 9x21 is poplular in Europe, as 9mm is 'military'.
It would seem to me that 9x21 in a modern pistol could be boosted above 9mm power, but perhaps I am mistaken.
The 9x21 was merely the exact same dimensions as 9x19, but the case lengthened by 2mm so they could not be chambered in 9x19 guns. OAL for the loaded cartridge remained the same, as the round was intended for use in guns and magazines originally designed as 9x19. But what that means is that there is no extra internal volume for propellant, and so if you cram more powder in a 9x21, its the same as if you did that to a 9x19 round. A few people didn't understand that and blew up their guns. The gun writer, Frank James, blew up his transferable Uzi doing that. He figured since the Uzi was designed to use hot carbine loads of 9x19, loading some hot 9x21 and using a 9x21 conversion barrel, that should be no problem. He was wrong. His handloaded 9x21 ammo blew the open bolt back so hard it bulged the rear of the receiver. That was a costly mistake.
laabstract

Post by laabstract »

My friends dad growing up used to love .38 super. He had about 10 guns chambered in it and learned to shoot on full size loads on it. From what I remember it was a little snappier than 9mm but still managable.
blasternaz

Post by blasternaz »

baby huey wrote: November 22nd, 2020, 7:39 pm I had a Colt 1911 in 38 Super. Really pleasant to shoot but typical Colt quality, the front sight went flying before I shot 100 rounds. I never trusted it much even though that was the only glitch. If Colt ever makes a Classic Combat Commander in 38 Super I’ll get another.
Agreed. I've a Kimber 4" in /38 Super, not the lightweight version, but still a very nice shooter! Easy round to load for and if you also load for something like the 9x21, use the .38 Super sizing die, It really makes the 21 feed well.