Is Number of Rounds Fired Important?

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
GunNut
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Is Number of Rounds Fired Important?

Post by GunNut »

Unless a collector piece worth thousands or more round count to me is a stupid question
It does though let me know the buyer is a damn idiot

Your opinion my vary and that's ok

knockonit

Post by knockonit »

IMO, round count only was relevant in certain units and caliber, 308 300 win mag ect, barrels tend to go away on high performance units with extreme round counts, corrosive ammo, even cleaned a well used milsurp with a gaggle of down range action, can and will have an effect on performance, and revolvers, lotsa rounds, can and will create issues, timing, loose firing pins and misc.

but as a general rule, if one knows what they are looking at you (buyer) could easily tell the type of use. And as noted above, age is not necessarily a noted event in regards to round count, i had a colt ''thunder'' in .41 from 1887 that looked like new, well preserved, and barely had the turned cylinder marks on it, at first i though it had been rebuilt, but no, all matched original finish, amazing, musta been a drawer gun.
good luck with buys and review, sometimes one slips by
Rj
samnev

Post by samnev »

knockonit wrote: March 1st, 2021, 6:05 am IMO, round count only was relevant in certain units and caliber, 308 300 win mag ect, barrels tend to go away on high performance units with extreme round counts, corrosive ammo, even cleaned a well used milsurp with a gaggle of down range action, can and will have an effect on performance, and revolvers, lotsa rounds, can and will create issues, timing, loose firing pins and misc.

but as a general rule, if one knows what they are looking at you (buyer) could easily tell the type of use. And as noted above, age is not necessarily a noted event in regards to round count, i had a colt ''thunder'' in .41 from 1887 that looked like new, well preserved, and barely had the turned cylinder marks on it, at first i though it had been rebuilt, but no, all matched original finish, amazing, musta been a drawer gun.
good luck with buys and review, sometimes one slips by
Rj
What he sais^^^^^^^^
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

I thought all guns for sale had exactly 50 rounds threw them.
Jack Dupp

Post by Jack Dupp »

Guns and a lot of their parts have a finite number of firing cycles. Just like cars. I suppose those that scoff at round counts when purchasing used don't care about how many miles are on the clock when buying a used car?
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

Jack Dupp wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:49 pm Guns and a lot of their parts have a finite number of firing cycles. Just like cars. I suppose those that scoff at round counts when purchasing used don't care about how many miles are on the clock when buying a used car?
lol, that analogy was like oranges and cherries, but if it works, so be it. lol
Rj
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Jack Dupp wrote: March 1st, 2021, 12:49 pm Guns and a lot of their parts have a finite number of firing cycles. Just like cars. I suppose those that scoff at round counts when purchasing used don't care about how many miles are on the clock when buying a used car?
So how would you know how many rounds have been fired through a gun ?
Let me guess , the seller told you so.
TheAccountant
Banned
Banned

Post by TheAccountant »

I ask the question to size up the buyer more than the handgun. If what they tell me doesn’t line up with what I’m looking at, then I start to wonder what else they’re lying about.

Rifles are a different story. Unless they have a detailed log and a good reason for selling, I assume the barrel either won’t shoot or is on its last legs. Either way, it’ll need to be replaced and doesn’t have much value.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

TheAccountant wrote: March 1st, 2021, 2:35 pm

Rifles are a different story. Unless they have a detailed log and a good reason for selling, I assume the barrel either won’t shoot or is on its last legs. Either way, it’ll need to be replaced and doesn’t have much value.
This might be so for todays guns , I really don't know , because I don't own any new rifles.
Then again , I have rifles that are more than 70 years old.
I have no idea how many rounds I have shot through them and I sure don't know how many rounds were shot through them before I bought them. A few of them even have the same scope that was mounted on them in the beginning.
They still shoot excellent and I would not trade them for any new gun out there and I trust these guns on a hunt to be true and accurate.
I am sure they will still shoot true when I am long and gone.
Vyadmirer

Post by Vyadmirer »

I’m sure it does matter in the big scheme. I just know I would have no idea round counts on anything of mine.