Slide Cuts for Red Dot Optics Mount on Glock 35 Gen4

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
ShaneWilder
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Slide Cuts for Red Dot Optics Mount on Glock 35 Gen4

Post by ShaneWilder »

I'm looking into putting a red dot on my Glock 35 Gen4, but I have to get the slide cut to mount the optics plate for whichever red dot I end up purchasing. I read on the Glock Store website that you have to get the bore holes refinished (Cerakote recommended). Of course, this adds to the overall cost, so I'm curious whether is an absolute must or just an attempt on their part to upsell this add-on feature. Presumably these new bore holes could suffer some corrosion/rust, but is that a real concern with Glock slides? If this is something I need to do, I'd appreciate any recommendations for an outfit here locally in Phoenix that could provide this service for me? I'm new to this forum, so many thanks for your input!
SW

superdrag67
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Slide Cuts for Red Dot Optics Mount on Glock 35 Gen4

Post by superdrag67 »

Legion Precision will do it locally but i have no experience with them.
http://www.legion-precision.com/

You do need to get the slide refinished or do something yourself to protect it from corrosion. Once the milling is done you have a big chunk of bare metal that needs protection.
superduty38

Post by superduty38 »

I have multiple machined Glock slides that were not refinished. I lightly oil or real light coat of grease on the raw metal, then the seal plate then the RMR. Once a year the sight comes off for a fresh battery.
There is no or very slight amount of very light rust, nothing that causes a problem. Just clean off, re-oil and put new battery in and reinstall sight. That whole idea of you must pay to refinish the slide cut is just an add on money maker. I carry appendix, everyday, so it does get sweat on.
Suarez International in Prescott can machine you slide and has some of the best co-witness sights for your slide.
oldmanpaintball

Post by oldmanpaintball »

i use this guy

Southwest Precision Arms LLC

he is in goodyear
Attachments
FFB9CF2E-9110-489D-BCC9-ECCA4A3C4ECF.jpeg
freefly

Post by freefly »

Might look into purchasing an aftermarket "optics ready" slide. Lots of options out there (Zev, Agency, etc.), and you can probably score a nice used one on the various forums or Gunbroker / Armslist / etc. YMMV...
ShaneWilder

Post by ShaneWilder »

freefly wrote: July 6th, 2020, 9:40 pm Might look into purchasing an aftermarket "optics ready" slide. Lots of options out there (Zev, Agency, etc.), and you can probably score a nice used one on the various forums or Gunbroker / Armslist / etc. YMMV...
That's a great idea! I'd like to have both slides, one for easier concealed carry holster and the other for when I wanna slap the red dot on for better accuracy. Love it, thanks for the rec!
SW
ShaneWilder

Post by ShaneWilder »

superdrag67 wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:33 pm Legion Precision will do it locally but i have no experience with them.
http://www.legion-precision.com/

You do need to get the slide refinished or do something yourself to protect it from corrosion. Once the milling is done you have a big chunk of bare metal that needs protection.
Thanks for the recommendation on Legion Precision!
SW
ShaneWilder

Post by ShaneWilder »

superduty38 wrote: July 6th, 2020, 1:50 pm I have multiple machined Glock slides that were not refinished. I lightly oil or real light coat of grease on the raw metal, then the seal plate then the RMR. Once a year the sight comes off for a fresh battery.
There is no or very slight amount of very light rust, nothing that causes a problem. Just clean off, re-oil and put new battery in and reinstall sight. That whole idea of you must pay to refinish the slide cut is just an add on money maker. I carry appendix, everyday, so it does get sweat on.
Suarez International in Prescott can machine you slide and has some of the best co-witness sights for your slide.
Love it! Nothing like real-world experience on the subject of interest! I'm a cheap bastard, so I was scratching my head about this issue when I saw the upsell on the Glock Store website. And thanks for the rec on Suarez Int'l in Prescott.
Many thanks!
SW
ShaneWilder

Post by ShaneWilder »

oldmanpaintball wrote: July 6th, 2020, 5:01 pm i use this guy

Southwest Precision Arms LLC

he is in goodyear
Thanks for the rec on Southwest Precision! I'm grateful for the recs I've received thus far. I think a lot of these outfits are pretty overwhelmed with new clients/work these days, so it's great to have a good selection to choose from. I'll definitely add Southwest Precision to my list.
All the best to you,
SW