Kewl short from Forgotten Weapons

Discuss handguns, revolvers and other pistol-type arms.
pneuby
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Kewl short from Forgotten Weapons

Post by pneuby »

I was kewl with Maks back in the 99-dollar era. Then I discovered that the intertial firing-pin puts a serious dent on primers merely in chambering each round. Probably not a concern with Com-Bloc mil-spec ammo, but it gave me pause with US-made JHPs.

https://youtube.com/shorts/9ydFX9tK_38? ... izm_VfBvj7

Suck My Glock

Re: Kewl short from Forgotten Weapons

Post by Suck My Glock »

It wasn't just the Makarovs that ran that risk. The 5.56 Norinco AKs, like the 84S and the BWK92, also had inertial firing pins (that means with no spring to prevent slam-fire, for you neanderthals) just like the 7.62 AKs. While most 7.62x39 ammo had hard primers to resist light strikes, most Bubba's bought the cheapest gun show special .223 ammo they could find to run through their budget Chinese 5.56 AKs,...which meant reloads, with "soft" commercial primers.

Usually there was never a problem.

Usually.

But after more than a few 84S rifles doubled or tripled or just plain ran away and emptied mags, along with a few out of battery detonations, Keng's started retrofitting all new imported 84S rifles with a spring-loaded firing pin. By the time they started importing the BWK92s, they were always spring-loaded.