20 guage for SD?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Boriqua
ArizonaShooting.org Member

20 guage for SD?

Post by Boriqua »

So my daughter has applied in Penn for her carry permit. She was due to come out here in the last spring and I was going to give her the big introduction to guns and take her shooting but then covid came and her flights were canceled and then canceled two more times so we never got to do it.

While a carry permit is great .. I was thinking what she could get right now without a wait and I believe .. unless things have changes since I left the east ... She can get a long gun without a permit or nics.

My very first gun was a Remington 870 which still lives right next to the bed and has going on 40 years. I just think 12 gauge would be to much to handle. While we can argue that any gun is better than no gun but is 20 gauge really a fair SD tool for the house?

This has her and me concerned. She doesnt live in Philly but .. close enough to see the heat
https://www.foxnews.com/us/protesters-r ... elphia-man

Suck My Glock

Re: 20 guage for SD?

Post by Suck My Glock »

It has been argued for decades that a 20ga. shotgun is a smarter choice for smaller shooters (such as female officers, for instance) due to it being less abusive in recoil. Considering the success of low-recoil 12ga. buckshot and slug ammo and Aguila mini-shells, this is a valid concern, I think. I recall reading that a few police agencies have bucked the trend and issued 20ga. shotguns based on that reasoning.

While 20ga. buckshot and slugs are nearly as effective as 12ga. and certainly still able to fill the power position that 12ga. is normally tasked with,...the downside is that 20ga. defensive ammo is not as commonly found at every Walmart sporting goods counter or gun shop as 12 gauge is. That does not mean it isn't available. It certainly is. But because sooooo many people own 12 gauges, the market has provided the lower recoil ammo options, and you are more likely (in my experience) to find that at your local gun shop than the 20ga. defensive ammo.

Hell, if you REALLY want to make it difficult for yourself, try to find 16ga. buckshot or slugs. I got a nice serviceable side-by-side coach gun in 16ga. that's about 70 years old but still perfectly serviceable. I got it for a bargain of just $100 years ago because the previous owner was frustrated at not being able to find ammo. Fortunately, Howie over at UNAMMO has it and I bought a nice little stockpile from him. But yeah,...finding 16ga. is a bich.

Hell, even .410 buckshot and slugs are easier to find than .20 ga., thanks to the popularity of the Taurus Judge. But finding riot gun length shotgun in .410,...not impossible, but don't hold your breath.
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

Well you were right Brother! I went looking around the net ... some places have the odd box here and there of #8 but for the most part ... no ammo to be had.

Surprisingly not a lot of 12 gauge either but certainly more than 20. I think she waited to long.. There is really nothing out there.

I have 38 ammo and I can gift her a 38 but she has never shot. Maybe I need to make a trip out to PA
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

don't think i've ever read where someone said: damm wished you'd shot me with a 12 ga, or a 38spl, or, or or.

being shot hurts, whats worse is what happens after, infection, and slow heal, no matter the treatment infection shows up and then the real fight begins, foreign matter into a wound always causes the problems
Rj
Boriqua

Post by Boriqua »

knockonit wrote: October 27th, 2020, 10:38 am don't think i've ever read where someone said: damm wished you'd shot me with a 12 ga, or a 38spl, or, or or.

being shot hurts, whats worse is what happens after, infection, and slow heal, no matter the treatment infection shows up and then the real fight begins, foreign matter into a wound always causes the problems
Rj
I was thinking similar .. I can find bird shot for the 20 gauge if she went that way and in the distances you would have in an apartment I think some bird at 20 feet would do the job more than sufficiently. Just dont know if she is up to 12 gauge. I have known a few guys that werent up to 12 gauge.

I personally believe 38 is still a fine round for SD and like I said .. I can gift her one of those and make her some ammo
XJThrottle
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by XJThrottle »

You can get 12ga target loads that aren't full power too. Soft enough they won't cycle most autos. Won't in my KS-12T on the factory gas setting.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

A 20 gauge will work just fine for self defense.
You have a few less pellets but I don't believe the target will know the difference.
jls in az

Post by jls in az »

A 20 ga with #4 buck is all that you need. Plenty of shot and power to stop a goblin, lighter recoil than any 12 ga load and less of a chance of over penetration outside the house.
DrEarlCordova

Post by DrEarlCordova »

Nothing wrong with a 20 gauge.
Before the current shortage there were quite a few different types of buck shot and slugs available.
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

An 870 20ga loaded with #1 buck will do a wonderful job. Jut keep in mind that a lot of 20gas are built on smaller frames, and can lead out any benefit of the smaller load having less recoil.
samnev

Post by samnev »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: October 27th, 2020, 3:58 pm A 20 gauge will work just fine for self defense.
You have a few less pellets but I don't believe the target will know the difference.
I have to agree. For a smaller framed person, male of female with the right load a 20 gauge will work just find for the short range usually involved in home defense.
AZHTfreak

Post by AZHTfreak »

Got an 870 and a Shockwave in 20ga for me n the missus at the house with Rio 9x#1 loaded. She's 5' nothing and has no issues with either one. Longest hallway is 10 yds. Ammoseek has over 500 listings for everything from #8 bird to #3 buck (& 1 listing for slug...) as of this evening...
baby huey

Post by baby huey »

I think for home defense the 20 gauge makes the most sense. Short distances, enough power that a 12 gauge won’t matter over a 20, and possibly less recoil. If I couldn’t use an AR, I’d look real hard at an auto loading 20 gauge in youth configuration as a handy home defense gun.
meeneen

Post by meeneen »

20 ga is just fine for hd. I have a le buddy who swears by one. He likes it because he can do a little lighter load to try and not get over penetration if he misses, and his wife can easily handle it if need be. Plus up close in a house you will get more than enough power to stop someone... Just my .02 over here.