Savage w/synthetic stock-worth the hassle?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Savage w/synthetic stock-worth the hassle?

Post by shooter444 »

A solid wood stock is not the same as flimsy plastic one. Testing the harmonic interference of any stock is quite simple. First, establish the free floated barrel's group size. Then, simply shoot as many rounds, as fast as you can, to heat up the barrel. If the established group size from a cool/warm barrel remains the same as when heated/hot, it ain't broke and don't need fix'n.

Of course, this test is only as accurate as the barrel is. If the barrel is not capable of consistent groups, cool/warm/or hot, nothing will change it to a accurate shooter. Except for possibly a cryo treatment. 8-)

jmo

brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

pvreb wrote: July 10th, 2018, 1:22 pm What size of threaded rod did you use, Brandyspaw?
I really can't recall for sure but I think it was 1/4" thread all. I was thinking I could pull the stock off my Savage to check but I'd filled the channel with construction silicone after I epoxied the thread all rod into the stock. So that likely won't help much plus my stock has a wide beaver tail type fore end so it might take a different size rod than a slimmer hunting stock.

Best to just get the biggest threaded rod that will fit in the center channel of your stock.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

brandyspaw wrote: July 10th, 2018, 8:01 pm

I really can't recall for sure but I think it was 1/4" thread all. I was thinking I could pull the stock off my Savage to check but I'd filled the channel with construction silicone after I epoxied the thread all rod into the stock. So that likely won't help much plus my stock has a wide beaver tail type fore end so it might take a different size rod than a slimmer hunting stock.

Best to just get the biggest threaded rod that will fit in the center channel of your stock.
Thanks.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Stock touching a barrel, will affect accuracy, especially a warped one. run your dollar bill down the length of the barrel after it heats up from a few shots. I've never really come to an opinion about the nub the factories put at the end of the stock. On one hand I can see its purpose but I always think it has to affect accuracy somewhere along the line.
My Accustock doesn't have one and appears to be a true free-float while my Rem stock looks like a free float but has 2 little nubs on the sides
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Ahh, "THE NUB".

I have thought about it, and, in line with my thoughts that a flimsy, flexible plastic fore end that GIVES to any pressure that may be caused by a warming barrel, the "NUB" keeps the other portion of the plastic fore end from possibly being melted from some extreme shooting/heating of the barrel. Basically I see the "NUB" as maintaining a flow of air between the barrel and the fore end.

Obvious to me, is that, manufacturers have figured that a barrel touching the fore end of a very flexible fore end can maintain an acceptable FREE FLOATED BARREL result.

As I have posted, if the barrel expands/moves to the point of touching a portion of the stock that has so little resistance, that it moves, rather than adversely affecting barrel harmonics, where is the problem.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

The stock on my Savage is so flexible that it will touch the barrel with little pressure. It does not require the barrel to heat up. My fear is that the force applied using a sling is likely to affect the accuracy. Therefore I will reinforce the stock to prevent that.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

To each there own, but, if no accuracy/group, testing/shooting, has been done, one will never know if any reinforcement was needed.

I had the same reservations about my Hog Hunter stock, since day one. Then I tested for barrel harmonic disruption, and realized Savage knows what they are doing, and ended my fears. Even so, I still don't like the factory stock and I am still looking for a more substantial replacement. But, my preference has nothing to do with accuracy problems from the barrel touching the stock.

Now, I should specify that my Hog Hunter has a heavy/short profile barrel that may make it less susceptible to interference, but I doubt it. As stated, the flimsiness of the fore end couldn't interfere with groups from any contact with the barrel.
Last edited by shooter444 on July 14th, 2018, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

There are many scenarios that could cause the stock to change position. If you can't rely on it being stable across the board, then you will have doubts in the gun and why you missed that shot or why your groups are so big.
Like you say, if you have tested it in its oem configuration and don't have a problem then why mess with it.
Buckshot Bill

Post by Buckshot Bill »

I sure appreciate all the replies and options you guys have come up with and If you have more to add, or other options or things to think about please feel free to throw it out there and see if anything sticks.
Much obliged,
Bill
Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

I have a savage synthetic stock as well, but have hot checked to see if the stock touches. The groups are so so at this point, but I think it is the shooter at this point.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

Took the Savage to the range this morning. The stock is flexible enough to touch the barrel when handling the rifle. While shooting, when I used the sling the stock did not touch the barrel; so, for me, it is a non-issue.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Remember, even if a flexible fore end touches the barrel, it can not affect barrel harmonics. Only with a fore end stiff enough to hinder/deflect a barrel's harmonic whip type movement, can accuracy be affected.
Shoot th3 moon
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Shoot th3 moon »

Check out Stockys I picked up a BC for my savage and I love it!! I feel much improvements with shot placements and no warped stock.