Budget AR build

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
jes3se
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Budget AR build

Post by jes3se »

Well, I got myself a lower as a birthday gift, thinking I’d grab a parts kit and slowly assemble this thing. 20 minutes later and I was done, and ready to move on. I picked a difficult time to try to do a budget build, with so much out of stock. Mostly I’m just “talking out loud” because kids make sure I can’t get a word in when they’re awake, but does anyone have any recommended vendors or advice for acquiring parts right now?

Not looking for anything premium, entry level and budget friendly are more important to me. Learning the platform is the goal, and the modularity of everything allows for upgrades later.

QuietM4

Re: Budget AR build

Post by QuietM4 »

Palmetto State Armory.
Noshoot

Post by Noshoot »

AZ1182 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:02 pm Back in the day, budget build would have been Palmetto State Armory.

I'd take a look at Primary Arms and see what you see from time to time.
^^This^^

I’ve gotten a lot of parts from PA in the past.
ShortRound
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by ShortRound »

I like PSA as well.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

I don't stick with one vendor... google is your friend... it takes time to go thru all the listings but you can find deals. Don't forget to add shipping and sometimes its better to buy most of your package at one vendor due to added shipping from many. Use a spreadsheet and calc your bottom line.

Besides the above named places... other places I have found good deals include JoeBobOutfitters, Red Barn, Top Gun Supply, BCM (before they became popular), Kvar, Wing Tactical, Weapon Outfitters, Delta Team Tactical, JSE Surplus, Model 1, AT3 tactical, Kaw Valley Precision, VC Defense and JSE Surplus. That should keep you busy for a while...
Isnake

Post by Isnake »

PSA!
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

psa is no longer the deal it used to be, have found a few others as mentioned in a post above, i buy a lot of parts and pieces, sometimes its easier to go that route and can be considerably cheaper, pending on what you are building, a budget unit, should be easy to piece out
best of luck, deals these days are like finding a real down to earth conservative politician, that thinks for him/herself
ShortRound

Post by ShortRound »

Take a look at Optics Planet as well. They sell a lot more than just optics!
freefly

Post by freefly »

My usual go-to for a decent LPK that won't break the bank is: Stag Arms.
These are made by CMT (also makes RRA's LPKs), and you can often find them via 3rd party vendors for cheaper that the link above. Much better QC than some of the other cheap LPKs I've come across (DPMS/CMMG, etc.). With the really cheap ones, you will often get MIM parts and junk springs/pins.

Another go-to favorite that that is a step-up from the above would be the ones from White Oak Armament.
Their full kit includes an ALG QMS trigger, and all of the other parts are top-quality.
storage_man

Post by storage_man »

freefly wrote: July 14th, 2020, 2:48 pm My usual go-to for a decent LPK that won't break the bank is: Stag Arms.
These are made by CMT (also makes RRA's LPKs), and you can often find them via 3rd party vendors for cheaper that the link above. Much better QC than some of the other cheap LPKs I've come across (DPMS/CMMG, etc.). With the really cheap ones, you will often get MIM parts and junk springs/pins.

Another go-to favorite that that is a step-up from the above would be the ones from White Oak Armament.
Their full kit includes an ALG QMS trigger, and all of the other parts are top-quality.
Sorry but your recommendation for "White Oak" is not low priced any more. Don't know when you bought from them last, but they are no different than any AR-15 Parts supplier. Since COVID-19 has struck, they are no different than any of the low price suppliers of AR-15. None of them are cheap any more. Today is not the time to try and build a low price AR-15.
freefly

Post by freefly »

storage_man wrote: July 14th, 2020, 3:04 pm

Sorry but your recommendation for "White Oak" is not low priced any more. Don't know when you bought from them last, but they are no different than any AR-15 Parts supplier. Since COVID-19 has struck, they are no different than any of the low price suppliers of AR-15. None of them are cheap any more. Today is not the time to try and build a low price AR-15.
That's why I said they were a "step up" from the others. Also, a complete LPK that includes an ALG QMS trigger for under $90, or one without for $45 is not really "high-priced" to begin with.

And, as I mentioned, you can "cheap out" on an LPK if you wish, but you will almost certainly be getting MIM parts and/or junk springs and pins. Not to mention, QC is often non-existent, so your chances of receiving a kit with missing parts, and/or parts with mold flashing / burrs, etc. are much higher.

YMMV...
Robidouxs

Post by Robidouxs »

I would likely start out with a Nitride Freedom Upper from PSA if I was building a budget build. Nitride makes the outside and inside of the barrel hard, similar to chrome-lined barrels, but the hardness continues to be present after the surface finish is removed.
Eleroo

Post by Eleroo »

As others have said, PSA and Primary Arms still have good deals from time to time, just got to watch and be ready to buy before they sale out. Also, I know Larue isn't really “budget” level but their barrels and triggers are decently priced and the rifle kit for $793 is a lot of rifle for the money. Just something to consider.
jes3se

Post by jes3se »

I appreciate all the feedback. I’m trolling most of the sites right now, watching for the parts I want and the ones I need
BlastWind

Post by BlastWind »

Eleroo wrote: July 16th, 2020, 9:16 pm As others have said, PSA and Primary Arms still have good deals from time to time, just got to watch and be ready to buy before they sale out. Also, I know Larue isn't really “budget” level but their barrels and triggers are decently priced and the rifle kit for $793 is a lot of rifle for the money. Just something to consider.
Huh. Im gonna look into that Larue rifle kit now. Thanks !