Budget AR build

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Azchilleverde
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Re: Budget AR build

Post by Azchilleverde »

It's been mentioned many times already but PSA.

Kwisak

Post by Kwisak »

ShortRound wrote: July 14th, 2020, 8:38 am Take a look at Optics Planet as well. They sell a lot more than just optics!
They do but their shipping is pretty bad. Said in stock and turned out it wasn’t on my last order and it’s been a month and half. Call in says maybe two more weeks but no eta. This is for a sig stock.
xerts1191
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by xerts1191 »

Just ordered lower reciever and a lower kit from PSA, glad I checked again when I did, stuff is flying off the shelves, uppers I want are all on backorder now
glock holiday

Post by glock holiday »

The usual pawnshops are usually a high priced joke but I went to Mo money pawn this weekend and they have a ton of ar goodies..tons of LPK’s in stock at $50 so I bought a few..they are Anderson’s with there 85% coating crap they advertise but I’ve never had issues with them before..they also had a few sig p365xl with Romeo zero dots for $599..not to shabby
AR-15Man

Post by AR-15Man »

Another vote for PSA
xerts1191

Post by xerts1191 »

Thanks for the heads up 1182
mds587
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by mds587 »

I have two PSA builds that have both been awesome. That LaRue MBT trigger is fantastic for the money, though. I would take it every day over my PSA EPTs.
mds587

Post by mds587 »

Absolutely, no argument here haha
AZ1182 wrote: August 19th, 2020, 8:02 pm
mds587 wrote: August 19th, 2020, 6:51 pm I have two PSA builds that have both been awesome. That LaRue MBT trigger is fantastic for the money, though. I would take it every day over my PSA EPTs.
I have a PSA M4 CHF upper that's been awesome too, but what I saw and then fixed, was absolutely atrocious and should have never left that plant to any customer.
meeneen

Post by meeneen »

I like psa but you gotta shop the daily deals to make it worth it in my opinion. A buddy of mine loves bear creek arsenal. Very affordable and they have all shot well for us.
Steelturtle

Post by Steelturtle »

Cheapest of the cheap but still goes bang? Bear Creek arsenal. Like $300 shipped for a complete upper with charging handle and bcg.

That said if you like building parts are still available. I would start by finding a good barrel for cheap. Ar15.com and other are good for low round count good used barrels. Look for Faxon or Ballistic Arms or similar. Around $100. Next you want a good bcg. Coating doesn't matter as much as material and testing. Toolcraft makes a great inexpensive bcg.

The barrel and the bcg are the heart of the rifle. Those combined with a good trigger determine the quality you have. Grab a decent quality upper like an Areo Blem that goes on sale for like $80 on the regular. Then any free-float handguard will work. China whatever on that.

Basically you can spend $300 and get meh quality but assembled. Or you can spend $400 and get something that can shoot as well as and be as dependable as most mid level ar15s
HazelM

Post by HazelM »

little known fact about PSA , a lot of their parts come from the FNH factory down the street from them, Barrels and Bcg's with the higher end PSA ( freedom variants for instance ) are all FNH , the very same barrels and BCG's in SMI rifles. I always get warm and fuzzy when people trash talk PSA.
HazelM

Post by HazelM »

I always start with a PSA closest thing to a Legit Milspec without dropping money on a FNH . then modify it from there . trigger, gas tube , bcg , buffer assembly. Always love getting flak from the range during competitions watching those Daniel Defense Dorks scoff in disapprovement while they get out shot with a PSA .
Old Jeff H
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Silver Supporter

Post by Old Jeff H »

While cleaning up my reloading room this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised to find a pretty little stripped lower still in it's bubble wrap. Forgot I had bought that one! Going to order the LPK from Primary Arms, and look around for mid-level upper.