Is 300 Blk worth it?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Clickoops
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Is 300 Blk worth it?

Post by Clickoops »

Like everyone else raised on AR15s ive wanted bigger pews from my platform.

Enter the 300 Blackout cartridge, which ostensibly was intended specifically for subsonic operation with a suppressor, very sneaky deaky considering slow ass bullets are pointless past a certain range.

Purchased new, the cases are expensive, not to mention out of stock.

Since i do have 556 brass coming out of my ass ive researched how fairly simple, yet time consuming it would be to make 300 Blk casings. Ive already got a reloading bench, some experience, and just copped a set of 300 Blk dies.

But after diving into the interwebs on this topic....Why not 7.62x39 ???
Especially if i dont give a s*** about subsonic :think: :think:

Id like to hear from those who have jumped down this rabbit hole and get their opinions!!
Thanks!!

Harrier

Re: Is 300 Blk worth it?

Post by Harrier »

Being cheap and not wanting to part with $200 for a can, I built a 16" blackout using a Daniel Defense barrel, hoping supersonic would be good enough...
Enjoying load testing, I tried 12 different bullet weights, 9 different bullet styles and 11 different powders in various incremental charges, in addition to some OEM loaded ammo. I even tried some 125gr JHP .311 bullets resized to .308

Except for a very few 125/130gr & 150gr jacketed loads, pretty much all of them were worthless as far as accuracy is concerned. (my std is under 1MOA shot at 200yd)

For me, about the only saving grace about this cartridge is I can use split neck 223 and get a few more loads out of the brass... without having to have special BCG & mags.
impulse

Post by impulse »

300blk only makes sense if you're running less than 16", sub, and suppressed.
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I've never even shot a 300 Blackout, but it's next on my list to buy. From what I had seen, supersonic rounds are about 200 ft/sec slower than 7.62x39. Not a huge difference. I've heard about people having reliability issues with ARs chambered in 7.62x39, but the 300 cartridge was designed specifically for that platform.

What do you hope to use it for? Just for the range, or can you see yourself using it for defense?
Clickoops

Post by Clickoops »

AZ_Five56 wrote: July 12th, 2020, 2:07 pm I've never even shot a 300 Blackout, but it's next on my list to buy. From what I had seen, supersonic rounds are about 200 ft/sec slower than 7.62x39. Not a huge difference. I've heard about people having reliability issues with ARs chambered in 7.62x39, but the 300 cartridge was designed specifically for that platform.

What do you hope to use it for? Just for the range, or can you see yourself using it for defense?
Like the other guy, first and foremost is a round i can get sub-MOA at 100-300yds. I can do that with my 556 loads, but they arent doing much at 300. For this platform I dont expect to shoot past 300 for any practical purpose.....BUT I would love to find a round that can.
I have no use for the "range" beside developing loads and keeping somewhat savvy on my wpn systems. Shooting is less a hobby for me than a discipline which i gotta keep up in case it is required some rainy day. to answer youre question directly
I would like to make more effective holes in targets in the 10-200 yard range, and effective in the 3-600 range should it be necessary, which means sub-moa at least
Clickoops

Post by Clickoops »

Harrier wrote: July 12th, 2020, 1:54 pm Being cheap and not wanting to part with $200 for a can, I built a 16" blackout using a Daniel Defense barrel, hoping supersonic would be good enough...
Enjoying load testing, I tried 12 different bullet weights, 9 different bullet styles and 11 different powders in various incremental charges, in addition to some OEM loaded ammo. I even tried some 125gr JHP .311 bullets resized to .308

Except for a very few 125/130gr & 150gr jacketed loads, pretty much all of them were worthless as far as accuracy is concerned. (my std is under 1MOA shot at 200yd)

For me, about the only saving grace about this cartridge is I can use split neck 223 and get a few more loads out of the brass... without having to have special BCG & mags.
this is the exact type of answer ive been looking for thanks!!
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

impulse wrote: July 12th, 2020, 2:05 pm 300blk only makes sense if you're running less than 16", sub, and suppressed.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Short answer is, no.
DuneShoot

Post by DuneShoot »

I got into it a few months back when subs were .50 each.
Wanted a short suppressed AR style gun. It works perfect for that. Have only used it to 100 yards for now.
For easy hits out to 800'ish I'd suggest 6.5 Grendel. It's boring to shoot at 500 yards.
meeneen

Post by meeneen »

I built a 10” 300bo pistol and love it!!! Very soft shooting. I get great accuracy needed to engage out to 300ish, and with a suppressor it’s crazy quite. I had a 7.62x39 ar but it was not reliable enough to be a go to, so I swapped it with an ak. IMO it’s fantastic for what it’s designed for. If you want to punch bigger holes and be able to reach out farther I would step up to an ar10 platform.
coupeman

Post by coupeman »

impulse wrote: July 12th, 2020, 2:05 pm 300blk only makes sense if you're running less than 16", sub, and suppressed.
I'd rather have a 8.5" 300 blackout vs a 8.5" 556. 8.5" fits in my bag nice with a LAW folder.

***Use barnes Tac-tx rounds for SD.

Don't shoot subs often but it's nice to have the option to have fun with some quiet subsonic rounds.
YNOTAZ

Post by YNOTAZ »

300BO is great when used for what it was designed for. No matter what the crap they throw, the AAC 300BO is the 300 whisper, part of an entire line of "whisper" rifle cartridges developed by J. D. Jones of SSK industries. His purpose was to develop an entire line of heavy bullet cartridges for short barreled, subsonic, suppressed weapons.

AAC took the 300 whisper and submitted it as the 300BO to SAAMI for specs and did not register the name as a trademark like SSK industries did on the 300 Whisper.

As it turns out the 300 whisper ballistics parrot the 7.62x39. The 300BO feeds better in an AR, has a much wider selections of loads that run well in an AR, and is the more accurate of the two. If you like ARs the 300BO is a much better choice than a 7.62x39.

If you are looking for a 400yd elk round or a 600yd deer round, look elsewhere.