Preferred hunting rifle for under $600

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
BananaHands
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Preferred hunting rifle for under $600

Post by BananaHands »

I’m in the market for a new hunting rifle chambered in 30-06. I ran a search and found some older threads on the subject but figured there are many newer rifles on the market. So if you had $600ish to spend on a new hunting rifle, which would you buy? I’m looking for rifle only suggestions, preferably not rifle/scope combos.

QuietM4

Re: Preferred hunting rifle for under $600

Post by QuietM4 »

Bergara. Tikka. Browning. Savage.

Anything but a Remington. QC has fallen off greatly over the past few hears.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

My 30-06 experience is limited to Savage and an old Remington. Both worked great. There are some excellent used ones out there. Might be a reasonable option, a way to justify the expense of more hunting gear.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

honestly, I'd go with Tikka if you buy new. They are priced nicely, shoot well, don't look too bad. Made in Finland (corporation owned by Beretta).

But for a classic, you could save a few more bucks and buy a Model 70 (the "Rifleman's Rifle, or "O Rifle do Atirador" now that they're made in Portugal, by FN).

lots of US hunting rifles pop up on the used market all the time in your price range. every hunter has several and every year thousands of aging hunters hang up their blaze orange....

I personally find the Savage action so ugly I don't want one in my safe. But they seem to shoot good, except the one my friend had that kept drifting zero, but that might have been the cheap scope.

Browning and Howa are made in Japan, I see LOTS of Brownings on the rack at the big box stores, I've never seen one in the woods. Howa's have a good reputation for accuracy.

There are some euro bolt hunting rifles at discontinued blowout prices. Steyr, Mauser, Franchi, bergara, benelli etc.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/870763201
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gea ... e/p/p57300
reputation for accuracy, weird euro-fad styling, no aftermarket parts or repair support.

In my biased opinion, the Ruger No1 is the nicest looking factory hunting rifle... you need to get one special ordered since no shop ever stocks them and they are really hard to get them to shoot accurately.

shoot good

Poole
stomp442

Post by stomp442 »

For a factory rifle a Tikka can't be beat but it might blow your budget by $100 or so out the door. As far as accurate cheap rifles the Ruger American is a solid option that will leave room in the budget to upgrade the stock or optics.
Firewhenready7

Post by Firewhenready7 »

Ruger American
Buckshot Bill

Post by Buckshot Bill »

The Ruger American, and specifically the Predator is, by most all reviews, a great buy for not a lot of $.

As others have said, those Tikka rifles are REALLY nice for a factory rifle, but more $$. In the long run, maybe a little more money, but very well spent??
Good luck,
Buckshot Bill
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I realized this might be controversial, but why did you settle on 30-06? It's a tried and true cartridge that's been around for over a century, but even the .308 will give you very similar performance with much less kick in the shoulder. Also, you can get a short action with .308 to keep your rifle weight down. Just my two cents.

Besides that, are you looking for a new rifle, or just new to you? I always go for buying used if I can as long as it isn't too abused. On the other hand, it's nice to have a hunting rifle that you're not afraid to scratch.
Suck My Glock

Post by Suck My Glock »

You might have to hunt for one, as they are not everywhere like the Rugers and Savages and Remingtons;...but I really got a stiffy for the Browning A-bolt stainless with the BOSS system. Brownings have always been well-built, even if their accuracy was no better or worse than their competitors. But the BOSS muzzle brake and tuning device really makes it shine. Essentially, the BOSS is a muzzle brake with a dialable weight inside. There are multiple possible settings, all of which ever so slightly alter the barrel harmonics (vibrations and "whip") and one of them is the optimal one for each load. If you handload, or even if you buy factory, with enough experimentation, you can arrive at the smallest groups possible by fiddling with the BOSS.
https://www.browning.com/support/freque ... ystem.html

But even less expensive and very good reputation for excellent inherent accuracy direct from the factory without any modification,...I also like the Thompson/Center Venture. Their 2ndGen version has a corrosion-resistant finish as good if not better than stainless, threaded muzzle, synthetic stock by Hogue and pillar-bedded. The action is stronger and stiffer than most which lends to its barrel rigidity and resultant accuracy.
landon

Post by landon »

I have a Tikka 7 mag and love it. Great trigger and light weight. 150 grain bullet that i have taken Elk and Whitetail with. Ruger american is a solid option also.
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

AZ_Five56 wrote: July 8th, 2020, 5:50 pm I realized this might be controversial, but why did you settle on 30-06? It's a tried and true cartridge that's been around for over a century, but even the .308 will give you very similar performance with much less kick in the shoulder. Also, you can get a short action with .308 to keep your rifle weight down. Just my two cents.

Besides that, are you looking for a new rifle, or just new to you? I always go for buying used if I can as long as it isn't too abused. On the other hand, it's nice to have a hunting rifle that you're not afraid to scratch.
I’m new to big game hunting. I settled on 30-06 mostly based on its reputation and its ability to take down anything in North America. I’d rather not have to buy a new rifle if/when I move up from deer. If I were going to buy a rifle pretty much just for deer hunting, I’d probably go with 6.5 creedmore.
My biggest focus is on doing my best to ensure an ethical kill.

I’m open to new or used.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

BananaHands wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:14 pm I’m new to big game hunting. I settled on 30-06 mostly based on its reputation and its ability to take down anything in North America. I’d rather not have to buy a new rifle if/when I move up from deer. If I were going to buy a rifle pretty much just for deer hunting, I’d probably go with 6.5 creedmore.

I’m open to new or used.
Caliber is a personal choice, but if I were looking to be a one rifle hunter, I would consider the 300 win mag. It's a little more recoil than 30-06, but it's more capable. There is no right answer though. There are a lot of rounds that hunters use to take deer and elk. .270 and 7mm are other capable choices that are popular. Some hunters even use 6.5 Creedmoor on elk, though you may want to limit your range with something like that.
Delfuego

Post by Delfuego »

landon wrote: July 8th, 2020, 7:55 pm Tikka 7 mag
lostdog99

Post by lostdog99 »

You can't go wrong with the .30-06. And . . . . Yes . ..some of the European manufacturers make better rifles than new American, for the money.
But, having worked for a Finnish, and a Norwegian company . . .I favor Bill Poole's advice. Go find an Old Winchester model 70 or a Ruger MKII M77 with the Mauser style action and safety.
Let the Europeans support the Europeans.
XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

AZ_Five56 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:58 pm
BananaHands wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:14 pm I’m new to big game hunting. I settled on 30-06 mostly based on its reputation and its ability to take down anything in North America. I’d rather not have to buy a new rifle if/when I move up from deer. If I were going to buy a rifle pretty much just for deer hunting, I’d probably go with 6.5 creedmore.

I’m open to new or used.
Caliber is a personal choice, but if I were looking to be a one rifle hunter, I would consider the 300 win mag. It's a little more recoil than 30-06, but it's more capable. There is no right answer though. There are a lot of rounds that hunters use to take deer and elk. .270 and 7mm are other capable choices that are popular. Some hunters even use 6.5 Creedmoor on elk, though you may want to limit your range with something like that.
When I decided to get into hunting larger game, I was in a similar position. I only wanted to buy one rifle. I found an SPS model Remington 700 in 300WM used for $600. It hasn't taken any game, but it has hiked all over a lot of northern AZ... :lol: