Preferred hunting rifle for under $600

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Re: Preferred hunting rifle for under $600

Post by AZ_Five56 »

XJThrottle wrote: July 12th, 2020, 10:46 am When I decided to get into hunting larger game, I was in a similar position. I only wanted to buy one rifle. I found an SPS model Remington 700 in 300WM used for $600. It hasn't taken any game, but it has hiked all over a lot of northern AZ... :lol:
:lol: Sometimes that's how it goes. But isn't it amazing how much more endurance and energy you have when you're focused on a hunt? I'd ordinarily be wimping out even without carrying the extra weight.

XJThrottle

Post by XJThrottle »

My mom has killed more deer than me. All she needed was Honda Accord...
BananaHands
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by BananaHands »

XJThrottle wrote: July 12th, 2020, 10:46 am
AZ_Five56 wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:58 pm
BananaHands wrote: July 11th, 2020, 6:14 pm I’m new to big game hunting. I settled on 30-06 mostly based on its reputation and its ability to take down anything in North America. I’d rather not have to buy a new rifle if/when I move up from deer. If I were going to buy a rifle pretty much just for deer hunting, I’d probably go with 6.5 creedmore.
My biggest focus is on doing my best to ensure an ethical kill.

I’m open to new or used.
Caliber is a personal choice, but if I were looking to be a one rifle hunter, I would consider the 300 win mag. It's a little more recoil than 30-06, but it's more capable. There is no right answer though. There are a lot of rounds that hunters use to take deer and elk. .270 and 7mm are other capable choices that are popular. Some hunters even use 6.5 Creedmoor on elk, though you may want to limit your range with something like that.
When I decided to get into hunting larger game, I was in a similar position. I only wanted to buy one rifle. I found an SPS model Remington 700 in 300WM used for $600. It hasn't taken any game, but it has hiked all over a lot of northern AZ... :lol:
:lol: Yea, I’m prepared for the very likely possibility of just going for an expensive hike. :lol:
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

I’m starting to lean towards the Ruger American “go wild” in 30-06. Anyone have any experience with it? Or better yet, does anyone know anywhere in the southeast valley that has it or any Ruger American rifle in stock? I’ve never handled one. I’ve read that some people find them to feel very cheap. I’m curious how it feels in hand.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore ... /ID/203895
olemal

Post by olemal »

XJThrottle wrote: July 12th, 2020, 11:12 am My mom has killed more deer than me. All she needed was Honda Accord...
hihi
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

BananaHands wrote: July 12th, 2020, 11:17 am I’m starting to lean towards the Ruger American “go wild” in 30-06. Anyone have any experience with it? Or better yet, does anyone know anywhere in the southeast valley that has it or any Ruger American rifle in stock? I’ve never handled one. I’ve read that some people find them to feel very cheap. I’m curious how it feels in hand.

I've never shot one of these, but I have several Rugers. They're pretty good guns. This is kind of cheap rifle compared to what else is out there, so I wouldn't be surprised that people report them feeling that way. They may be referring to the synthetic stock feeling cheap as they often do. I wouldn't worry about that on something like this. I'd be more concerned about how smooth it is to actuate the action and the quality of the trigger. Those are the things that are going to bother me more.

I just did a quick search to see what's out there, and someone posted a 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard today. I don't know how good the Cabelas scope is that comes on it, but if I were you, for $550 I'd snatch this thing up in a heartbeat. https://www.armslist.com/posts/10630270 ... g-27752-1-
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

AZ_Five56 wrote: July 12th, 2020, 2:44 pm
BananaHands wrote: July 12th, 2020, 11:17 am I’m starting to lean towards the Ruger American “go wild” in 30-06. Anyone have any experience with it? Or better yet, does anyone know anywhere in the southeast valley that has it or any Ruger American rifle in stock? I’ve never handled one. I’ve read that some people find them to feel very cheap. I’m curious how it feels in hand.

I've never shot one of these, but I have several Rugers. They're pretty good guns. This is kind of cheap rifle compared to what else is out there, so I wouldn't be surprised that people report them feeling that way. They may be referring to the synthetic stock feeling cheap as they often do. I wouldn't worry about that on something like this. I'd be more concerned about how smooth it is to actuate the action and the quality of the trigger. Those are the things that are going to bother me more.

I just did a quick search to see what's out there, and someone posted a 30-06 Weatherby Vanguard today. I don't know how good the Cabelas scope is that comes on it, but if I were you, for $550 I'd snatch this thing up in a heartbeat. https://www.armslist.com/posts/10630270 ... g-27752-1-
Thanks, I’ll take a look.
ShortRound
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by ShortRound »

Following, I'm in the same camp. Looking to buy a hunting rifle, and I've also decided to go with 30-06. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Ruger American. I think I'm leaning that direction.
etprescottaz01

Post by etprescottaz01 »

Buckshot Bill wrote: July 8th, 2020, 10:48 am The Ruger American, and specifically the Predator is, by most all reviews, a great buy for not a lot of $.

As others have said, those Tikka rifles are REALLY nice for a factory rifle, but more $$. In the long run, maybe a little more money, but very well spent??
Good luck,
Buckshot Bill
Ruger makes a fine rifle and is a good value. The others mentioned are really nice and are even nicer to own I imagine (I have a Remington model 700 made in 1960) Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into buying a cut down or sporterized ex military rifle like an 03 Springfield or Pattern 17 you won't be happy with it and will just end up owning a ruined military rifle. Nice used hunting rifles hit the market from time to time so keep an eye out also.
pvreb

Post by pvreb »

I'm not familiar with the Ruger American. Ruger makes excellent guns. If it has a synthetic stock, I would make sure it is rigid enough to not touch the barrel when shooting it. That can adversely affect accuracy.
ShortRound

Post by ShortRound »

pvreb wrote: July 13th, 2020, 2:32 pm I'm not familiar with the Ruger American. Ruger makes excellent guns. If it has a synthetic stock, I would make sure it is rigid enough to not touch the barrel when shooting it. That can adversely affect accuracy.
I've seen a few videos showing that they can slide a dollar bill between the stock and the floating barrel.
kmj831

Post by kmj831 »

I was under the impression the Ruger American was not a fully floated barrel?

The Tikkas are nice for the price for sure. I'm also really interested in the T/C venture. Awesome warranty, MOA guarantee, and made in America. Looks like a lot of rifle for the price.

If the need for a magnum isn't present, than as an all rounder, I'm a big 7mm-08 fan.
Last edited by kmj831 on July 16th, 2020, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

etprescottaz01 wrote: July 13th, 2020, 11:24 am
Buckshot Bill wrote: July 8th, 2020, 10:48 am The Ruger American, and specifically the Predator is, by most all reviews, a great buy for not a lot of $.

As others have said, those Tikka rifles are REALLY nice for a factory rifle, but more $$. In the long run, maybe a little more money, but very well spent??
Good luck,
Buckshot Bill
Ruger makes a fine rifle and is a good value. The others mentioned are really nice and are even nicer to own I imagine (I have a Remington model 700 made in 1960) Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into buying a cut down or sporterized ex military rifle like an 03 Springfield or Pattern 17 you won't be happy with it and will just end up owning a ruined military rifle. Nice used hunting rifles hit the market from time to time so keep an eye out also.
Funny you mention that. I happen to have my grandfather's old hunting rifle which is a Segley sporterized 1903 action. I know he harvested many deer in the Tucson area while my mom was growing up. I wouldn’t take it in the field, it’s irreplaceable.
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

Thank you to everyone for the input. After a trip to a gun shop and handling a Ruger American, Savage axis and 110, Weatherby vanguard, Tikka TX3 lite, I settled on the Tikka. The action is so smooth! I liked the Vanguard as well but it was much heavier. The Ruger American was the grittiest of the actions by far. Surprisingly the stock on the American didn’t seem any cheaper to me than any of the other synthetic stocks. But it had the worst action of the group.