AR Lower Recommendations

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

AR Lower Recommendations

Post by AZ_Five56 »

I just picked up this MK18 pistol yesterday. The lower and accompanying trigger seemed kind of cheap, so I was going to swap them out. I was also considering converting this to an SBR, so I want to make sure I have a nice lower to commit to before doing the ATF paperwork.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want anything cheap either. Let me know if you have any favorite lowers that might pair well with this MK18. Thanks!

EDIT
The search is officially over for this project! I bought a Radian A-DAC lower. Thanks for the pointers everyone!
MK18-1.jpg
Last edited by AZ_Five56 on June 22nd, 2020, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtptwo
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: AR Lower Recommendations

Post by mtptwo »

Arrow
impulse

Post by impulse »

LMT Mars
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Thanks for the recommendations. I've seen a lot of Aero out there, but I've never handled one before. I'll have to check them out.

I just looked into LMT. It looks like there are not as many of them out there and they're on the more expensive side. I guess that means they're good.
impulse

Post by impulse »

AZ_Five56 wrote: June 20th, 2020, 7:19 pm Thanks for the recommendations. I've seen a lot of Aero out there, but I've never handled one before. I'll have to check them out.

I just looked into LMT. It looks like there are not as many of them out there and they're on the more expensive side. I guess that means they're good.
Best ambi setup out there. Radian is pretty good too.
the1_roadrunner

Post by the1_roadrunner »

As stated above anything LMT is good stuff. I like the Noveske Gen 3 as well. A Seekins SBA15 is badass but good luck finding one. What makes is so badass? It's a hog-out (billet), integral enhanced trigger guard, ambi bolt catch release but best of all, every place that is normally a roll pin is a threaded pin.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

impulse wrote: June 20th, 2020, 7:26 pm Radian is pretty good too.
Those look great too! I like the ambidextrous controls on both. LMT looks a little more obscure, but It looks like a bunch of Radian lowers have been coming across the ar15.com classifieds. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one at a good price. Did I say I'm cheap?
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

the1_roadrunner wrote: June 20th, 2020, 7:52 pm As stated above anything LMT is good stuff. I like the Noveske Gen 3 as well. A Seekins SBA15 is badass but good luck finding one. What makes is so badass? It's a hog-out (billet), integral enhanced trigger guard, ambi bolt catch release but best of all, every place that is normally a roll pin is a threaded pin.
I've seen some Noveske stuff out there, but with the crazy prices, it made me feel like you're paying for the name. Is there something special about them that I'm missing?

The Seekins SBA15 looks nice and simple. The only other Seekins lowers I've seen looked more obnoxious to me rather than sticking with a more traditional shape. I own some of their scope rings, and Seekins seems like they're at a good price point for their quality. I'll definitely be on the lookout for one of those lowers. No roll pins is a big bonus.

Okay, you guys have expensive taste, but I think I like the direction this is going. I feel like the lower has to be at least a certain threshold of quality to go with this upper. For the moment, I might just borrow an m4 lower off another gun until I save up my money, or one comes up for sale at a great price. Thanks again for the recommendations!
the1_roadrunner

Post by the1_roadrunner »

Here you go. Just what the doctor ordered. Quentin Defense over in Mesa/Gilbert area. They machine all their receivers right there on sight (billet hog-outs). All kinds of cool engravings available for their roll stamps. All billet receivers are under $150
https://www.quentindefense.com/product- ... -receiver/
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

the1_roadrunner wrote: June 20th, 2020, 8:49 pm Here you go. Just what the doctor ordered. Quentin Defense over in Mesa/Gilbert area. They machine all their receivers right there on sight (billet hog-outs). All kinds of cool engravings available for their roll stamps. All billet receivers are under $150
Thanks for the recommendation! I've never even heard of Quentin Defense, but the ambidextrous lower looks pretty nice for the money.

I think I found my replacement lower. I found a great deal on a Radian A-DAC. Now if I can only find an FFL around town that will receive shipments from a private individual.
Basher

Post by Basher »

AZ_Five56 wrote: June 21st, 2020, 7:26 pm
the1_roadrunner wrote: June 20th, 2020, 8:49 pm Here you go. Just what the doctor ordered. Quentin Defense over in Mesa/Gilbert area. They machine all their receivers right there on sight (billet hog-outs). All kinds of cool engravings available for their roll stamps. All billet receivers are under $150
Thanks for the recommendation! I've never even heard of Quentin Defense, but the ambidextrous lower looks pretty nice for the money.

I think I found my replacement lower. I found a great deal on a Radian A-DAC. Now if I can only find an FFL around town that will receive shipments from a private individual.
I was going to recommend Quentin as well. Solid work, and a great local shop. Plus they’ll do SBR engraving while you wait!

As for private transfers, if you’re in the eat valley, I’m using AllArms, LLC (AllArms.net). Guy runs things out of his house in Gilbert, but transfers are $15 ($10 with a CCW) for the first, and $5 for each additional. He’s been solid for me for the past several transfers.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Basher wrote: June 21st, 2020, 8:32 pm As for private transfers, if you’re in the eat valley, I’m using AllArms, LLC (AllArms.net). Guy runs things out of his house in Gilbert, but transfers are $15 ($10 with a CCW) for the first, and $5 for each additional. He’s been solid for me for the past several transfers.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give him a call tomorrow. I'm actually up in North Phoenix, but I'd be willing to make the drive to make this deal go through. I just don't want to annoy the seller and scare him off by insisting he ship it through an FFL.
freefly

Post by freefly »

AZ_Five56 wrote: June 20th, 2020, 2:11 pm Let me know if you have any favorite lowers that might pair well with this MK18. Thanks!
Looks like a DD upper, so I would probably include DD in your search.
And as mentioned Quentin is a solid option if you want to support a local biz.

Otherwise:

If you want to keep it mil-spec:

Colt
KAC (non-ambi)
LMT (non-ambi)
Noveske gen 1
Etc.

If you don't care about keeping it mil-spec:

Noveske gen 2 (forged - grab one if you can find one)
Noveske gen 3 (billet)
AXTS/Radian A-DAC
LMT MARS
KAC Ambi
Etc.
Rock Hardson

Post by Rock Hardson »

I like Spikes Tactical, BCM, and Noveske. You can buy a Noveske blem lower, it is called a Chainsaw and has a chainsaw on the bottom of the trigger guard. It is a great value.
AZ_Five56

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Rock Hardson wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 3:45 pm I like Spikes Tactical, BCM, and Noveske. You can buy a Noveske blem lower, it is called a Chainsaw and has a chainsaw on the bottom of the trigger guard. It is a great value.
People keep saying great things about Noveske, but I've been wondering if you're paying for the name since they're so pricey. It's nice to know they have some cheaper Chainsaw lowers popping up from time to time. I'll have to put those on my radar for the future.

The search is officially over for this project! I just pulled the trigger on a Radian A-DAC. They look like top-notch lowers, and I got a killer price. I've mostly been hands-off with ARs buying only complete rifles, so thank you to everyone for schooling me and pointing me toward some great options.