AR9 (Glock) Handguard to fit Octane?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
GunSmoke
ArizonaShooting.org Member

AR9 (Glock) Handguard to fit Octane?

Post by GunSmoke »

Hey guys, I’m hoping you can help me find a hand guard that will allow me to fit my octane under it. The receiver is a PSA px9, and due to the way the Glock mag well pivots I’m struggling to find a handguard that has a large enough internal diameter to fit the octane 45. I bought an areo quantum rail without realizing it wouldn’t work... so ideas? Barrel is 4.5” and does not protrude from the current handguard so I can’t mount the can without removing it.

GunSmoke

Re: AR9 (Glock) Handguard to fit Octane?

Post by GunSmoke »

Btw, if someone has something that will work, I’d be willing to trade for the areo 9” quantum or buy it off of you.

superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

I'm not sure I get what the problem is. I run my octane 9 under a Troy rail but I don't think that helps because it seems like there is something else going on. The Aero has a 1.78 ID which should be fine. I don't know what you mean by the glock magwell pivoting that's causing issues.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Is yours a Colt or a Glock pattern mag well? When I try to install the arrow rail, it backs up against the front of the mag well in such a way that I wasn’t able to open the upper and lower receiver on the pivot pins in the front. It appears to be an issue with the way the Glock mag well is shaped. If I look at the handguard that came on the rifle it clamps on the barrel nut but is cut at about a 30° angle away from the receiver to allow for the pivot.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

MIne is a glock pattern and it's a PSA lower but it's an older PG-9 from years ago. My troy rail is damn near touching the lower and I have no issues with it contacting the lower through it's range of motion. The distance between the rail and lower shouldn't change during the rotation (assuming everything is to spec).

Can you take some close up pics of the front pin area on your gun?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Or just pull both pins when you need to service the weapon. Not that difficult.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Here is a picture of the current handguard. You can see how the barrel nut tension screws are tapered away from the pivot point.

GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Here is the clearance on the aero. Maybe it will fit and I’m just being dumb. I could pull both pins I suppose for service, but I’d really just like it to fit properly.

QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Looks like it fits fine. AERO can’t foresee every possible upper/lower configuration for every hand guard. It may just not be compatible with that lower.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

I’m not bashing Areo the product looks great and will likely go on another one of my rifles. I’m just looking for a Handguard that will work with this lower, in case of a malfunction or even just cleaning I would like to be able to open the action on the front pivot.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I get what your saying, it's just that no mfg of hand guards advertises "Fits PSA PX-9 Lowers". You just happened to find the one hand guard that doesn't play well with your lower. Unfortunately, you may have to just buy and try to find one that works.

It looks like any hand guard with a large enough I.D. to fit your Octane is also going to have a large O.D. that will interfere with the lower.
GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

The octane does fit under the areo. Again hoping someone had had an experience with a Handguard that fit this rifle as they are quite common.
superdrag67

Post by superdrag67 »

So have you actually installed the handguard and tried it? It doesn't really look like there is an issue. The handguard will pivot around that pin at the central axis. If everything is to spec it won't get any closer. As long as you aren't contacting the lower, it should be fine. Like I said, mine is practically touching, and after looking it closer does appear to be slightly rubbing on one side. The barrel drops a full 90 degrees before contact.

GunSmoke

Post by GunSmoke »

Thanks Superdrag. No I haven’t gotten l a chance to actually install it yet, only slipped over the existing barrel nut. Had to order one of the lug attachment units for the vice as my action block would not work on this receiver. I’ll report back once I get this barrel nut off. Thanks for your feedback everyone.