Elk hunt

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Wrenchman
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Elk hunt

Post by Wrenchman »

Anyone hunt elk with .308. Looking for reccomendation on ammo. Looked at a lot of ballistics and having trouble making my mind up about grain and manufacture.

Lwstarks

Re: Elk hunt

Post by Lwstarks »

I know a lot of people do, I plan on using my 8mm Mauser. It has been successful each time I’ve gone.
delta6

Post by delta6 »

The .308 is more than adequate for elk. I have killed my share of elk and many with a .308. 168's are a good compromise, but I have had great luck using Sierra 150 grain GameKing's SBT, @ 2680 FPS, using WW748 powder. The bullet will perform from point blank to about 750 yards.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Hornady eld x 178gr if your using factory or federal fusion 180gr
Isnake

Post by Isnake »

Remington 150grain corelokt sp. works just fine.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

At the ranges you 'should' shoot an elk with a .308, and considering how big the target is, I'd advise prioritizing bullet construction/weight over accuracy. Federal Fusion is a great round. I also like the Barnes TTSX and Hornady GMX because they don't have any lead which could foul your meat...don't know if that is a concern for you. If you are only planning on hunting elk, get the heaviest round for your twist rate you can. If you also want to hunt deer, something in the 160's would be a bit more versatile. If it were me, I'd buy a box of each and use whichever is the most accurate.
Joelgas1

Post by Joelgas1 »

I debated hunting elk with 308 but with the right bullet weight, construction, and shot placement, it sounds like it’s very feasible
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

Joelgas1 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 4:57 am I debated hunting elk with 308 but with the right bullet weight, construction, and shot placement, it sounds like it’s very feasible
It is very feasible, and people do it all the time. With excellent shot placement, 308 can drop on elk at a good distance, but you should probably limit your range to be on the safe side. It just doesn't have the energy of a lot of other traditional elk rounds.
Stray Horse

Post by Stray Horse »

It will work, hav fun and good hunting :D
Last edited by Stray Horse on July 3rd, 2020, 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

Not sure about the debate and "feasonabilness" or "recommended" range... i have plenty of meat in my my freezer, and plan to put more in this season, and plenty of elk and deer photos from 65yds to beyond 700yds. 308 does just fine.

If you need to borrow one I can likely help you out if you promise not to bend it
TomI

Post by TomI »

I have killed quite a few elk with the .308, I have always used the Federal High Energy 180gr.
mark T
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by mark T »

If a 308 is your rifle dont over think it. Shoot what ammo you shoot best and keep your shot distance realistic. Placement counts not knock down power. I've killed a few with a 400 grain arrow??? Just a thought.
mtuck

Post by mtuck »

Isnake wrote: June 21st, 2020, 7:25 am Remington 150grain corelokt sp. works just fine.
This. The Remington 150gr CoreLokt round has been tested and proven for ages. Great round and very affordable. Happy hunting!
LongRangEnthusiast

Post by LongRangEnthusiast »

I plan on using 178gr Hornady ELD-X and staying inside 500 yards. As others have mentioned, I think you'd be fine with just about anything but an FMJ as long as you keep it at a reasonable distance.
I like the newer bullets that Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, and others are making because they seem to perform more consistently than their cheaper counterparts at greater distances in my experience. That said, you really should be trying to get as close to the animal as possible anyway, so I'd just stick with whatever shoots best out of your chamber and that you can get enough of to practice a decent amount before your hunt.
Either way, best of luck!