Opinions on Current Production Rossi 92's

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
brandyspaw
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Opinions on Current Production Rossi 92's

Post by brandyspaw »

I know the older Rossi 92 carbines had issues to correct before being usable. But with some help from sites such as Steve's Gunz you could get them corrected and once fixed you had a decent pistol caliber lever gun.

Have the newer ones been getting any better or do you still need to spend time getting them fixed?
Anyone bought a new one lately?

Harrier

Re: Opinions on Current Production Rossi 92's

Post by Harrier »

I looked at the new ones but decided the fit & finish weren't as good as the older ones... found a nice engraved 357 from the early 80's. It was a nice carbine but then the extractor broke and I found out that Rossi doesn't sell a lot of parts to non-gunsmiths. I ended up getting a Browning 92 part and fitting it myself. Eventually I found a Marlin 94 in 357 and sold the Rossie.

So my point is... parts are scarce and you will need em eventually.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

Rossi has never been a gun I would buy or own.
I would look at other options.
Harrier

Post by Harrier »

Many many years ago I somehow acquired a Rossi revolver... a S&W clone... it was a horrible POS that I sold as quickly as I could. The carbine is a Win M92 clone and it was a little better quality but still had some roughness to the innards that i polished to smooth it out... another example of yo get what you pay for...
mtptwo

Post by mtptwo »

If you stil want a Rossi 92, buy it first hand and check the rifle carefully. You don't buy Rossis sight unseen. If you get lucky, you can usually find a good one.
deanq

Post by deanq »

I have a Rossi 92 I bought new about 25 years ago. The metal work was excellent. Other than the wood being some odd color South American hard wood, it (the wood) was just "ok". As for function, I put it on par with my original Winchester 92s & 1886s. Finish is below par, but fit, function and durability/usability are 100%. No "internet hearsay", just my personal experience. No idea how the new ones are. YMMV JMHO
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Since the conversation has expanded to earlier ROSSI models,... I will throw in my opinion on my wife's Rossi 22 gallery, break down, pump! It is 100% equal to any of the major collectible model, it copies, imo!

Well, it has been 100% for the past decade she has owned it,... but, the majority of gophers, rodents, etc., have mostly been killed off around her herd's grain bins,... so, it hasn't been shot much, lately. Actually, it's fit, finished and function is excellent and still AS NEW!

Great little 22!!!

Can't say a bad thing about it!