Ruger M77 opinions

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
BananaHands
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Ruger M77 opinions

Post by BananaHands »

Any updates? Just curious if you got it worked out.

jdrautoworks
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by jdrautoworks »

My .02 after 'building' a few of these... Take the brake off, hook up with someone here that know a thing or two about chambers and hand loading. Try it and then make the decision, I will say over the years I have taken some issue firearms to gunsmiths and it took me a step or two back from what I already knew.

My experience; Got a M77 MkII in .30-06 in a whim/bet/hurry. Shot 2.7MOA with Rem Core-Lok and Fed Fusion right out of the box. Floated the barrel with a grinder, yup grinder as I was less than a week out from a deer hunt, trigger, measured the lands and chamber, chucked up some 168's in my RC and have very nice .30-06 now and a .243 as well as a .308 and .270. They are very good firearms but will say some take some tinkering to nail. The .270 Hawkeye was best out of the box of all. All are sub .5MOA and in a sled they perform better that the knucklehead behind them. My only complaint is after sending over 1K if I had to guess in the 06 with XBR 8208 and 168GR Game and Match Kings at 3100+FPS the lands are tapering and pitting and case length has grown .002".

Short of the long is get with someone who will work with you and help you, may have a bad rifle but I'm guessing more of bad advice.
laserguy

Post by laserguy »

jdrautoworks wrote: July 8th, 2020, 11:36 pm
Short of the long is get with someone who will work with you and help you, may have a bad rifle but I'm guessing more of bad advice.
It was a great rifle until the break was installed, went from just under 1 MOA to almost 3 MOA.

Still have it sitting in the safe but I think I will pull it out this week and take it to a different gun smith and ask their opinion on it and get some prices for the work I am considering.