Thoughts on AR pistols

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Suck My Glock
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Thoughts on AR pistols

Post by Suck My Glock »

Yes, in pistol calibers, where the short barrel doesn't neuter the ballistics, they have utility and are cool. But with the exception of the .300blk which can generate carbine performance in a 9in. barrel, I despise the concept with rifle calibers, especially 5.56 models. The 5.56 is dependent on velocity to do what it does, and reducing its effectiveness by using a short barrel is just counter productive. But that said, I'm eventually gonna get into a .300blk pistol.

MK18_Obe
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by MK18_Obe »

I have a 12.5 pistol with geissele super 42 buffer system and the OSS suppressor lives on it. It’s an amazing platform to use, I rarely reach for my other AR15 18”. I also sold 2 other ARs because the 12.5 just seems like a happy medium of shootability, functionality, maneuverability, etc. Knowing what I know now and the preferences I have, I would have told myself to start with a 12.5
BigNate

Post by BigNate »

My thoughts about AR Pistols:
1) An AR Pistol without a brace is simply stupid.
2) 99.X% of of AR Pistol owners don't need an AR Pistol - they want one because they think it is cool but the way they use it gives them no advantage over a standard carbine (in fact they probably lose functionality). If you are not clearing rooms with it or participating in some other CQB stuff - it really does not buy you much.
3) If you are paid to clear buildings / rooms and choose to carry an AR pistol with a brace instead of an SBR because of some policy does not allow an SBR - then more power to you.
4) I'm not a fan of running 5.56 out of a short barrel. In .300BK it makes more sense to me (and possibly in some pistol calibers)
5) The AR Pistol with a brace concoction is a fantastic workaround for the gubbermunt's inane restriction on SBRs
ARPVSSBR.jpg
My 2 cents...
20gauge

Post by 20gauge »

Being an older gent I have a dim, limited view of the world. The AR pistol is not what I would pick up off the table if someone said go out the door and get in the fight. It’s not what I would keep by my bedside or in my truck. It’s not what I would pick for a shooting competition. It’s not what I would pick for hunting. I know what it’s good for. I don’t do that so I don’t need it. It ain’t a pistol and that ain’t a brace.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

20gauge wrote: May 12th, 2022, 9:37 pm Being an older gent I have a dim, limited view of the world. The AR pistol is not what I would pick up off the table if someone said go out the door and get in the fight. It’s not what I would keep by my bedside or in my truck. It’s not what I would pick for a shooting competition. It’s not what I would pick for hunting. I know what it’s good for. I don’t do that so I don’t need it. It ain’t a pistol and that ain’t a brace.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde