Thoughts on AR pistols

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Re: Thoughts on AR pistols

Post by Elk34 »

I love how handy they are,...but rifle cartridges,...to be effective,...need rifle-length barrels.

That's not true.

Harrier
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Harrier »

So how about a few examples instead of just an opinion?
... and 'ow that hurt" doesn't count- the bullet has to perform as intended to be considered effective.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

The only AR pistol upper I built, was in 300 BLKOUT. Probably not considered a "pistol caliber",... but, even having better penetration than any other pistol caliber, even at the velocity I load it at,... it is, in my opinion.

I put a 10.5 inch barrel on it. And enjoyed it for close work drills, very much.

But, when my down sizing agenda started to take effect, I decided to go to just ONE lower, and use it with all my uppers. So, when I came across a 16" heavy contour, pistol length gas port barrel,... I changed out the 10.5" barrel.

I was a very strong believer that barrels shorter than 16" were an absolute must for close encounters of the weird kind,... but, to be honest,... I really don't feel all that much crippled by the 16",... and, on the plus side, it allows me to go to just one lower, for all.

jmo.

Creator Endowed Unalienable Human Rights, forever!

My inglorious foe/ignore list !

17-21-23
Crippletrigger
HDS
Marine1
Ranger1
Razorback
YNOTAZ
redj
smithers599
Steve_in_29
stomp442
MarkItZero
Jamnmike
Last edited by shooter444 on May 12th, 2020, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

When I build a pistol AR. From 6 inch to 10.5 or 11.5 I try to get the fastest twist I can. That way I get as much twist as possible on the bullet . A Ar pistol generally is for close work. Within 100 yards. I can push past that out to 300 depending on the caliber and weight. Now if you don't practice you won't hit sh!t.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Again the work you are doing dictates what tool you pic up. If your in town and are in a vehicle you tend to use short tools. If your in a rural area and very little closed vehicle work, standard rifle lengths. To each their own
rockbronco

Post by rockbronco »

I used to dislike AR pistols for quite a while then came the arm “brace” and that had changed the idea quite a bit. Of nothing else I would like one just to dump rounds through at a cheaper rate the. A regular rifle round.
Medjay

Post by Medjay »

It's my opinion that every tool has its' application. Some tools even require specific application. And some tools have multiple applications.

Ex: sockets and ratchet wrenches are the best way to install a screw. But did you know that many screwdrivers have boxed handles so that a box wrench can be used on it to apply different type of leverage to a screw if needed?

Source, shoot and WORK lots of platforms to see what works best for you. If you spend your time in buildings/around obstacles/in confined spaces find and create a solution that works best. If you find yourself outside and in the wild discover and create that best solution.

As far as AR pistols go; I think they're great. Easy to travel with, easy to conceal and there are tons of options and accessories for them from a multitude of different quality manufacturers. If you're already familiar with doing work with an AR platform, it's an added bonus as a now known system to you.

Oh, and my 10.3" heavy barrel 5.56 AR pistol shoots just fine out to 200 yards and is still a sub 2" gun at that range. No keyholing wither. Just build a quality gun and good ammo and you'll be fine. What's that mean? It means that if it's in my backpack and I'm travelling with a buddy and we get an itch to pull over, take a few and blast some coyotes that it can do it. Easily. I don't get so overwhelmed with the pistol not performing as it's longer cousins are DESIGNED to. I have a 16" carbon barreled AR rifle that gets good hits at 600 yards and I'm stoked with that because that's what it was built for.

Ya'lls results may vary. Best of luck.
Pipedoc

Post by Pipedoc »

Never understood the whole AR pistol thing. I myself would prefer a 92fs or a G19 if I need a pistol seems easier (to me) to point,aim and shoot. But what do I know.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

SBR's are just pistols with butt stocks. I don't care what anyone out there says facts are facts. AR pistols just don't have a paper trail of legal sh!t behind them. I can travel from state to state easier with a AR pistol then I can with a SBR. Pistols are cheaper and you can shoulder a buffer tube with no issue of recoil. Now you may want a SBR because it makes you look like Hollywood, Swat, DOD. Ok that's cool. But when it comes down to it. Pistols are a convenience just like SBR's without a paper trail.
arizcowboy
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by arizcowboy »

To me a great novelty gun but I would never shoot one indoors as a self defense weapon. I had one with a 7.5 inch barrel and the muzzle blast and noise from that thing was deafening even when shot outdoors.
Jeep
Banned
Banned

Post by Jeep »

I like them in pistol calibers.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

They can be great depending on application, caliber, and bullet.

Built one for my wife that likes a lighter AR in 5.56.

For HD, it’s loaded with 64 grain Gold Dot which isn’t As velocity dependent like FMJ and works well at in home distances.

I think a lot of people get worked up over the whole velocity/short barrel issue as all they ever shoot is FMJ, but since I’m not bound by The Hague, I’ll shoot the best “man stopper” round I can, whether soft point or hollow point.

Now keep in mind what I’m talking about are intermediate distances, maybe out to 100m, of course as previously said, it’s not really the best for out door work and I have other better ARs to fill that role, but for CQB it’s just fine.
Basher

Post by Basher »

Gunslinger808 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 3:51 pm They can be great depending on application, caliber, and bullet.

Built one for my wife that likes a lighter AR in 5.56.

For HD, it’s loaded with 64 grain Gold Dot which isn’t As velocity dependent like FMJ and works well at in home distances.

I think a lot of people get worked up over the whole velocity/short barrel issue as all they ever shoot is FMJ, but since I’m not bound by The Hague, I’ll shoot the best “man stopper” round I can, whether soft point or hollow point.

Now keep in mind what I’m talking about are intermediate distances, maybe out to 100m, of course as previously said, it’s not really the best for out door work and I have other better ARs to fill that role, but for CQB it’s just fine.
This. So many of the comments I see from people poo-pooing on AR pistols are from people who think all anyone uses are FMJs. If you use a modern bonded projectile such as the Gold Dot, GMX, TSX, or something like MK262, you extend the useful range of these short barreled ARs out significantly. Would an AR pistol be my first choice at 200y? Nope. But if it's what I had, and I was using a modern load, I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Do I ever see myself needed to do that short of a complete societal collapse scenario? Also no. So for me, they're more a 50y and in item (I'd be using a pistol in my house to start, in an effort to save my hearing, fighting my way to a rifle should it be needed), and a novelty. If I were going to carry a rifle around on the regular, my 14.5" or 16" would be taking the lead, again loaded with quality, modern defensive ammo. In today's world, the reality is that while M193 will work in a pinch, if you're serious about using your rifle to defend yourself, then M193/FMJ loads are far, far down the list of good choices, regardless of your barrel length.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

[/quote]The 75 grain GD's would be a better choice for that, just my opinion though.

Are you loading your own or using factory?
[/quote]

Factory, I have about 1500 rds of the Gold Dot, and another 1000 of ETSP (XM223SP1).

Both are great and very accurate, I’ve not done any jell testing of my own, but the ones I’ve seen from other sources leave me confident in their ability to do the job.
BananaHands

Post by BananaHands »

IMO AR pistols make sense if you’re going to suppress it. So you pretty much end up with a 16” overall barrel with the suppressor. If you’re going to run unsuppressed, they make no sense to me.