Thoughts on AR pistols

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
sharp
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Thoughts on AR pistols

Post by sharp »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: May 7th, 2020, 9:41 am I never could figure out the 14 inch barrel with a pinned or welded adapter that makes it the legal 16 inches. Why not just get a 16 inch barrel ?
Maybe I am missing something but it just never made sense to me.
Because then it's longer than 16" after you've attached your flash hider.

Azchilleverde
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by Azchilleverde »

I'm using a 10.5" barrel AR pistol topped with an Aimpoint M2. Like another poster, I'm loading it with 64gr Gold Dots.
Racewin

Post by Racewin »

Depends what/how far you want to shoot, and where/how it will be carried. While many will say that a sub-16" 5.56 loses too much energy to be effective, I think it's wise to consider the reasons actual professionals use them.

My unprofessional opinion is that a traditional AR is great for the person (most people) that wants to plink around and have a self-defense weapon for an unlikely SHTF event.

The extra cost and complexities of a pistol/SBR are better for people that will either train to take advantage of the short barrel, and/or are looking to expand a collection that already includes a traditional AR.

Due to the cost and other issues with an SBR, you might start off with a pistol tube (not a brace). If you decide you like it, and being able to shoulder it would be a game changer, go for the SBR. Either way, you aren't spending money on a brace that you would have either not liked or ended up swapping out for a stock (SBR).
the1_roadrunner

Post by the1_roadrunner »

I have both 5.56 and .300 BO pistols but if I was only buying or building one it would be a .300 BO. The increased energy makes up for loss of velocity in the short barrel. Also you can go subsonic suppressed for HD. I didn't read all 4 pages so I may be repeating what has already been said.
Below my latest 8.5" .300 BO build. I have another 10.5" about 75% complete but currently the parts I want for it are getting very hard to find.
Seekins8.5-001.jpg
Seekins8.5-002.jpg
TIEFighterTK069

Post by TIEFighterTK069 »

I have a spare $.02 to pitch in despite not reading every page of the thread :)
Below 10.3 - 5" my opinion is that pistol caliber is the way to go if someone is looking for an AR weapon system to pull PDW duty.

In and out of vehicles and in close quarters, 10.3 - 5" is still a lot to wheel about, especially suppressed. Hearing loss is no joke, and 5.56 is incredibly loud inside, unsuppressed.
A nice, short PDW (7 - 9" barrel) in 9mm with the same controls and ergo as a longer barrelled 5.56 (or your flavor of 30 cal. depending on how serious the duty) system gives the user mobility, cross platform ammo and magazines with a Glock primary sidearm, and outstanding ballistic performance, all with the added benefit of being able to properly shoulder the weapon when possible.

If it's just for LARPing, well none of that really matters.
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

I have a CZ Scorpion. I love it. Put a brace on it. 9mm. Red Dot...very accurate and I think better than a handgun for protection....30 round magazines. I prefer it over all my hand guns.
Manitu

Post by Manitu »

I watch every Bill Burr comedy special I come across funny to me. Figured he was antigunner but he did a whole bit about blasting away in your dark bedroom with a .357. He goes with a .22 revolver, and on and on it creeps into his routine and it does appear he likes guns too.
A65453

Post by A65453 »

I have some mild interest in a 300blk pistol. But I'm not really interested in 300blk to begin with.

I don't like loud concussive guns so my only AR pistol is a 9mm with a 8" barrel. I put the SOB brace on it because it was a comfortable length. To be honest, I don't see great advantages to the 8" length vs a 16" carbine, especially when also going to a low pressure cartridge to keep the blast down.

I just wish I could get a fixed stock with a 11-12" LOP. A couple inches less than 16" doesn't change much handling for me as much as the stock can.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

A65453 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:34 pm I just wish I could get a fixed stock with a 11-12" LOP. A couple inches less than 16" doesn't change much handling for me as much as the stock can.
Um...you can.

https://magpul.com/moe-fixed-carbine-st ... _color=118

or

https://www.thedefensiveedge.com/Sully_ ... ully01.htm

Or maybe you can find an old Rock River Arms Entry Stock.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... d9946.aspx
was21

Post by was21 »

A65453 wrote: April 18th, 2021, 7:34 pm I have some mild interest in a 300blk pistol. But I'm not really interested in 300blk to begin with.

I don't like loud concussive guns so my only AR pistol is a 9mm with a 8" barrel. I put the SOB brace on it because it was a comfortable length. To be honest, I don't see great advantages to the 8" length vs a 16" carbine, especially when also going to a low pressure cartridge to keep the blast down.

I just wish I could get a fixed stock with a 11-12" LOP. A couple inches less than 16" doesn't change much handling for me as much as the stock can.
.... go 45 acp for low pressure and your ears will thank you even more. Just sayin’.... BTDT
tlieberman240

Post by tlieberman240 »

Having run a bunch of PCCs and AR pistol variants, I think the AR pistol/SBR is pretty solid. 10.3 - 12.5" is a good size for a gun shooting 5.56. I personally like 11.5, which is why I have one.

For anything shorter than that, 300blk just makes sense. 7"-9" is pretty easily doable with that caliber, and with supersonic ammo, it's still very capable at more than spitting distance.

PCCs don't really make sense to me unless it's something extremely compact and has folding capability. An MP5k or a CZ Scorpion Micro K would be as big as I'd want from 9mm. Anything larger than that, I'd rather just have 300blk with a LAW folder.. which I have. And ironically one of which is for sale lmao.
Gunslinger808
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Gunslinger808 »

I put the AR together for my wife.
She travels a lot and finds the pistol a perfect balance of size and firepower, she uses either 64 grain GoldDot soft points or 62 grain ETSPs which aren’t as velocity dependent for stopping power.

The .22 is her cheap practice piece, tried to keep them as similar as possible.

Harley66

Post by Harley66 »

Old thread but still lots of good info, looking to build a Aero Precision 9mm pistol
Mike-4

Post by Mike-4 »

I never cared for the AR pistol concept when they first came out as it didn't make sense to me. It wasn't a pistol and it wasn't a rifle so I saw no practical use it. Over the last 2-3 years I've warmed up to the AR pistol mainly for range or outdoor use and SHTF scenarios because of the portability aspect and I do own one now. For indoor use, a pistol or PCC is my preferred choice due to the excessive muzzle blast / noise from an AR caliber pistol.
kenpoprofessor

Post by kenpoprofessor »

Mike-4 wrote: January 9th, 2022, 8:33 am I never cared for the AR pistol concept when they first came out as it didn't make sense to me. It wasn't a pistol and it wasn't a rifle so I saw no practical use it. Over the last 2-3 years I've warmed up to the AR pistol mainly for range or outdoor use and SHTF scenarios because of the portability aspect and I do own one now. For indoor use, a pistol or PCC is my preferred choice due to the excessive muzzle blast / noise from an AR caliber pistol.
I wasn't interested in them either, until I purchased an EXTAR EXP. Best AR pistol I own: Little to no recoil, full AR capability, easy to put on optics or keep naked, accurate, only 3.1lbs unloaded, ability to fire single handed. Oh, and did I mention little to no recoil?? Oh yea, I did, but it is impressively easy to keep on target shooting the venerable .223/.556 round.

Have a great, gun carryin', Kenpo day

Clyde