What is Your favorite Rifle?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Basher
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: What is Your favorite Rifle?

Post by Basher »

Tech0552 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 7:47 amYou have expensive taste! Haha
Great list! I dig the FAL myself as well but have yet to shoot one. Maybe someday
Haha, I got around for awhile, but ultimately couldn’t justify most of it. I run an FN SPR in .308 and a trued R700 in 6.5CM now for precision rifles. The AIs are phenomenal, and like I said, I will have another some day. But for right now, life events have dictated it’s not reasonable to own a rifle worth as much as a nice used car before you even factor in optics. :lol:

h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

Honorable mention: CZ 550FS. They’re a bit heavy, but boy are they sexy! The single set triggers are nice as well. Had a few, sold them as well. That was a huge mistake, as they’re now discontinued and rising sharply in price!
I got that CZ 550 FS Lux 30-06 from you and its really nice. Something i am proud to own.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Well...I also have a couple lever actions that are great fun. I'd been owning and shooting guns for about 25-30 years (I got a late start compared to most of you...my Mom was not in favor of my Dad teaching me about guns, so my first exposure was AF Basic Training. Even then...I never really got "the bug" until I was about 24), but I'd never had a lever action. Finally picked up a Win. 94 Trapper in 44 Mag. on the old AZS. Liked it more than I thought I would, so when I spotted a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited with 24" Octagonal bbl. in .357, I scooped it up, as well. What a great gun...if not a tad heavy for a .357.

BUT...as much as I enjoy both of those, I can't say that either would be my favorite. One of the first rifles I bought, way back in 1984 or '85...was a Colt AR-15, 16", with the aluminum collapsible stock. From day one, I have loved that rifle...and I can't tell you how many thousands of rounds I have put through it. Eventually...partially just because I really like them, but partially also to save wear and tear on my "original", I ended up buying multiple other Colt ARs, finally...after a lengthy search, finding an identical twin to my first one, in like new condition. So, those "twins" are definitely 2 of my favs.

In something a bit more serious...just a short time after buying that original AR, I bought a brand new HK91, for the princely sum of $500! Seemed like a lot of money then, but sure glad I bought it! Slowly managed to accessorize it with a bipod, big ole' scope, later got an original German issue scope, and a ton of mags when they were going for 99¢. Almost pulled the trigger on a Magpul PRS-2 stock for it just recently...until I saw a Cherokee cheekpiece could be had for about 1/6 the price, so...still looking into that.

Then someone had to go and mention the Garand! I do love those! One of mine was going to be a little project, which I never completed. I have a shorty "Tanker" style Garand (I know they mostly have bad reputations...but mine has worked flawlessly, and is quite accurate, too), and one day long ago I saw an ad for a folding stock made for the BM-59, which I read could fairly easily be modded to fit on a Garand. Wow...I figured that would just be awesome on my Tanker! I also thought I might try putting one of the Ultimak forward scope mounts, and a LER "Scout" scope on it. So, I got the stock...and it's sitting around here in its original box...somewhere. Never did get around to fitting it. Still would like to, someday.

And for an honorable mention...I have a Rossi Model 62 pump action. Not only is it relatively lightweight, plenty accurate, capable of firing .22 S, L, and LR, but it takes down into 2 pieces for a really convenient little package. It's really a fun little gun. I have plenty of .22 rifles that are more accurate, higher capacity, quicker shooting...uh, where was I going with this? Oh, yeah...it's just a real hoot to shoot!
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I forgot about my Rossi 62. The one i have is a 16" takedown. It is a hoot to shoot. That Marlin 1894CB is a desireable gun. Hold onto that one especially if its a Pre Remington one. I had one in .45 colt but stupidly sold it.....
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Marlin in 444 lever gun.
semperfisurveyor

Post by semperfisurveyor »

If I could only have one...
C841B613-F8EF-4722-B2EE-214D57EABDFB.jpeg
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

h8pvmnt wrote: April 13th, 2020, 1:52 pm I forgot about my Rossi 62. The one i have is a 16" takedown. It is a hoot to shoot. That Marlin 1894CB is a desireable gun. Hold onto that one especially if its a Pre Remington one. I had one in .45 colt but stupidly sold it.....
Oh, yeah...it's a "JM", I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. Are there Remington Cowboy guns? Would love to find one in .45 Colt. Actually, I'd like to get a Henry (not necessarily a real "Henry", probably an Uberti) or an 1866 in .45 Colt.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I'm not sure if they did any remlin 1894CB but it wouldn't surprise me. I've been looking for one of those Winchester 1866 re-issues for a while. I have several 1873 re-issues and the Uberti version is really nice.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

I wouldn't turn down an 1873, if a nice deal came my way. My *preference* would be an 1860 or 1866.
rbt50

Post by rbt50 »

shilo sharps 45/110
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

rbt50 wrote: April 13th, 2020, 11:09 pm shilo sharps 45/110
Nice choice
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Flame thrower
Geekmedic

Post by Geekmedic »

My current favorite is an accurized R700 in 6.5cm with a Bartlein barrel in a KRG Bravo chassis. Accurate and fun to shoot.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Currently my Winchester 1873 in 45 Colt. It’s the 24” Octagon Sporter with pistol grip. It had a SMOKIN price on it. I mounted the Marbles tang sight on it. It seemed sacrilegious to do so,but I laser bore sighted it.
Copperhead
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by Copperhead »

Tech0552 wrote: April 11th, 2020, 2:44 pm Mine is a lever action Winchester model 94 in a 30-30. It’s sexy looking, accurate as hell, and can take down almost anything. Lots of fun to shoot. I wouldn’t mind putting a scope on it but I’m on the fence there

What is your favorite rifle that you own or are wanting to buy? I’m bored....
Out of the top 3 I would have to say my lever is the favorite to shoot.
Stainless Marlin STP .308 Marlin Express with Skinner peep sights.

The other two are very close, Garand or M1A