Oil or grease for semi auto?

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
87jeep
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Oil or grease for semi auto?

Post by 87jeep »

AZ1 wrote: July 8th, 2018, 1:22 pmHow do you clean it?
Easy just wipe it off. The grease never gets hard as it is a very light syn. grease.

Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I will discuss what we would do on a average day on the range. 0500 check out our issued weapons. Go to the range. Wait for the truck loaded with ammo to show up. 0600 to 0700 when ever he decided to show up. Lock and load. Start shooting around 0730 maybe. Shoot until 12ish. Eat lunch and start again. I had a gallon of gun oil with me. In a day of shooting I would go through a quart maybe more. I would constantly pour it in. The weapons would never stop. We would stop shooting around 1600 or 1700. If we weren't doing a night shoot. Go home and spend 2 hours stripping down all weapons washing them in a parts tank. Doing a hot water rinse wiping them down with a light coat of oil and turning them in. To this day I still do it. The m1A's bolts get grease but everything else I use gets oil. The reason ? Oil doesn't just lubricates it also flushes out and away debris. Remember every hour of shooting should get 20 min of cleaning.
Pro2a

Post by Pro2a »

Steve_In_29 wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 5:39 pm Personally, CLP does a poor job at ALL of it's intended purposes.
:handgestures-thumbup: Jack of all trades, master of none
WyoGunner
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by WyoGunner »

Here's a pretty detailed write-up by Grant Cunningham on gun lubrication; I haven't tried the food machinery lube but it makes sense.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101/