Zeroing AR15

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Re: Zeroing AR15

Post by Elk34 »

If you want to zero your AR, I would do it the military way.

abishop30
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by abishop30 »

Great info all!

Good cheap option for some peel and sticks if you prefer the 25 yard method.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Yup that's what I have always used and when I was in the military while on the qualification range I always walked off after using my 2 20 rd mags . I hit everything they put in front of me.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

In my time it was 2 20rd mags. They made you do a magazine change out. On top of that my qualification course was a timed course. That's 40 rds total.
QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by QuietM4 »

Elk34 wrote: April 23rd, 2020, 1:16 pm In my time it was 2 20rd mags. They made you do a magazine change out. On top of that my qualification course was a timed course. That's 40 rds total.
Is that how you got your Super Duper Greatest Marksman Ever Award?
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

No I got that after drinking a case of beer ,3 shots of Jack and then qualifying. You youngsters wouldn't know anything about that. Good try at trying to look cool.. :laughing-rolling: :music-tool:
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

So...at the risk of opening my mouth, and shining a light on my ignorance, allow me to make an observation:

If you aim at this 25 meter target, using a 6 o'clock hold, and adjust your sights to impact as closely as possible to the center dot...your POI will then be 2.5 inches above your POA. So...2.5 inches high at 25 meters gives you a 300 meter zero...just as the target states, right?

So, just because you're physically shooting at a target at 25 meters...does not mean you're using a 25 meter zero.
Attachments
51LT6AOaWEL._AC_PIcountsize-50,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
51LT6AOaWEL._AC_PIcountsize-50,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 7548 times
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

AZ1182 wrote: April 24th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Bullzaye wrote: April 24th, 2020, 1:20 pm So...at the risk of opening my mouth, and shining a light on my ignorance, allow me to make an observation:

If you aim at this 25 meter target, using a 6 o'clock hold, and adjust your sights to impact as closely as possible to the center dot...your POI will then be 2.5 inches above your POA. So...2.5 inches high at 25 meters gives you a 300 meter zero...just as the target states, right?

So, just because you're physically shooting at a target at 25 meters...does not mean you're using a 25 meter zero.
That only works if you know your distance. Will you when seconds count? And for the record at 300 yards you will still need to use a holdover. And that target was designed to be shot at and zeroed by a shooter using the center hold. What you're trying to do is use it in a way that is was not designed for.
Well...this is an odd argument. We obviously know our ranges when we're zeroing...or at least we *should*! If you don't...you may want to fix that, because then you haven't actually "zeroed" it.

And equally obvious (at least in my mind) is that during "real world" usage, we'll almost never know the exact ranges. Unless we have a prepared position, and lanes of fire/approach and associated ranges already fixed...or are using a range finder. Otherwise, ranging will be a matter of experience, or using an optic with some sort of range calculation built into it...but since we're discussing zeroing our iron sights...that's a bit off-topic.

And...why do you say this target is built for a center hold? I'm not saying you're wrong...I just see no proof of that. And, if you look at the grid of squares on the target, you'll notice that the very bottom of the black silhouette is *exactly* 2.5 boxes (so, 2.5 inches) from the center of the target. Why would they position is in that precise location? Not 2 inches from center, nor 3...but 2.5 inches. Since everyone is aware that using a 6 o'clock hold on a target such as this will give you the *most* precise aiming point, rather than a vague center, where your sights are fading into the background of the silhouette...for maximum precision of aiming, to achieve the most precise zero, it *only* makes sense (to me) to use a 6 o'clock hold.

So, combining the obvious 2.5 inch offset from POA/POI on the target, and the obvious advantage of using a 6 o'clock hold...I don't see the merit of your argument. Can anyone else tell me that this target was *definitely* meant to be used with a "center" hold?
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Okay, so...I just looked at the target again. It does say to hold on the center of target. So, I don't know what the designer had in mind.

Still...can anyone explain to me why it just "will not work"...to sight your rifle so that its POI is 2.5 inches above your POA at 25 meters? Looking at ballistic charts, it appears to give the same trajectory as zeroing at 300 meters (more or less). Now, I believe this is for 55 grain projectiles...but I may be wrong there, and it's for 62 gr.?
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

When I used them it was with 62 gr green tip
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Elk34 wrote: April 24th, 2020, 4:45 pm When I used them it was with 62 gr green tip
Yeah, well I've avoided the 62 gr. I only have one rifle with the faster twist...all of my other ARs have 1:12, and my non-AR platforms may be somewhere between 1:10 to 1:12. But, since I only have the one "fast" twist...I prefer to just keep the 55 gr. ammo around, and not worry about which 5.56 is for which rifle. That's just me.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

AZ1182 wrote: April 24th, 2020, 5:07 pm Not an odd anything really. I'm trying to help you understand.

Why would I not know the range that I am shooting at to zero? If I don't, then I am not wasting my time, effort, and ammo at a fruitless task then because until it is confirmed, then the rifle isn't really zeroed, end of story.
That was my point. *You're* the one who suggested that I didn't know the range at which I was firing.

And yes...I corrected myself when I went back and looked at the small instructions at the bottom of the target.

So...I'm glad that what you're doing works for you. My system...POI 2.5 inches above POA at 25 meters, works perfectly for me.
Bullzaye

Post by Bullzaye »

Done with this.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

AZ1182 wrote: April 24th, 2020, 5:49 pm
Bullzaye wrote: April 24th, 2020, 5:40 pm
AZ1182 wrote: April 24th, 2020, 5:07 pm
Not an odd anything really. I'm trying to help you understand.

Why would I not know the range that I am shooting at to zero? If I don't, then I am not wasting my time, effort, and ammo at a fruitless task then because until it is confirmed, then the rifle isn't really zeroed, end of story.
That was my point. *You're* the one who suggested that I didn't know the range at which I was firing.

And yes...I corrected myself when I went back and looked at the small instructions at the bottom of the target.

So...I'm glad that what you're doing works for you. My system...POI 2.5 inches above POA at 25 meters, works perfectly for me.
Where was the point supposed to be exactly? Where you directly challenged me by asking how did I know it was not designed to be used with a six hold when it dang well said so in the directions to use the center hold only???

So you redacted your challenge but are still trying to not lose faith by saying your system works well for you, on a target that it was not designed for...all I am saying is that to keep noise from muddying things up, we should not post incorrect ways of using a zeroing target meant for the center hold ONLY. It's not helping anyone. But keep doing you, I'll keep using what actually works for that particular rifle.
[/quote]

Huh.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

:banana-dance: Here we go.... Now it's a party.

It was when u were a glimmer in your daddy's eye.