Zeroing AR15

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Zeroing AR15

Post by smithers599 »

xerts1191

Re: Zeroing AR15

Post by xerts1191 »

Thanks
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

Interesting
Flash

Post by Flash »

I'm a 50 yard zero guy personally.
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Travis Haley has one of the best videos on the topic.

I've always gone with a 36 yard zero, confirmed at all distances.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

If you are using 55grain ammunition zero at 25yds. If you zero so point of impact is 1.25" below point of aim your impact will stay between 2" from muzzle to 200yds.

If you use heavier ammunition you will have to do the math again however the zero above takes away any hold over or under guess work. If staying within 2" from 0 to 200yds (thats a headshot at 200yds if aimed at the nose) isn't good enough I cant be of assistance

Windage is dependent on the moment
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

QuietM4 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 3:54 pm Travis Haley has one of the best videos on the topic.

I've always gone with a 36 yard zero, confirmed at all distances.
Great video
GringoLoco

Post by GringoLoco »

This is just my experience so basically it means nothing because I’m a nobody. I have no law enforcement or mil background and since those are the qualifiers, again, this means nothing.

I printed off some of these targets (link below), took my Colt 6920 with carry handle rear sight to Ben Avery, and zeroed how the Target tells you to zero. Yes I know the target says it’s for red dots but trust me it works just fine with irons. BTW, was shooting PMC XM193 55gr.

I then went to the 2018 IDARM with that rifle. It was my first match ever. I was in the limited group and quite possibly one of two people running an AR with irons. I placed 7 out of 21 other people in the limited devision. I’m not bragging because 7 out of 21 isn’t first it’s just slightly better than average.

Here my point to all this. With the zero I established, my point of aim never really changed much until I engaged the 300+ yard targets on the 4th stage and even then, all I had to do was hold just at the top of those two targets and of 5 shots got 4 hits. 2 hits each. I didn’t engage the 400 yard target because the match was a game and I was running against the clock.

My recommendation is a 100 yard zero. Whether a true 100 yard zero or not, it was good enough for me to be able to hit man size targets from 100 to 300 or so yards without worrying about hold overs or hold unders or having to adjust anything.

My objective may be different than yours, so if nothing I said means anything to you, that’s cool.

100 yard zero Target:

http://www.arma-dynamics.com/assets/red ... ar-15).pdf
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

Flash wrote: February 8th, 2020, 3:38 pm I'm a 50 yard zero guy personally.
Same. Everything else at 50 is hitting pretty close to the same spot all the way out to 200 without having to account for any holdover.

Just makes sense. Anything past 200 yards I would rather have a bigger and heavier round.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

GringoLoco wrote: April 1st, 2020, 11:17 pm This is just my experience so basically it means nothing because I’m a nobody. I have no law enforcement or mil background and since those are the qualifiers, again, this means nothing.

I printed off some of these targets (link below), took my Colt 6920 with carry handle rear sight to Ben Avery, and zeroed how the Target tells you to zero. Yes I know the target says it’s for red dots but trust me it works just fine with irons. BTW, was shooting PMC XM193 55gr.

I then went to the 2018 IDARM with that rifle. It was my first match ever. I was in the limited group and quite possibly one of two people running an AR with irons. I placed 7 out of 21 other people in the limited devision. I’m not bragging because 7 out of 21 isn’t first it’s just slightly better than average.

Here my point to all this. With the zero I established, my point of aim never really changed much until I engaged the 300+ yard targets on the 4th stage and even then, all I had to do was hold just at the top of those two targets and of 5 shots got 4 hits. 2 hits each. I didn’t engage the 400 yard target because the match was a game and I was running against the clock.

My recommendation is a 100 yard zero. Whether a true 100 yard zero or not, it was good enough for me to be able to hit man size targets from 100 to 300 or so yards without worrying about hold overs or hold unders or having to adjust anything.

My objective may be different than yours, so if nothing I said means anything to you, that’s cool.

100 yard zero Target:

That's all legit and great info.

I just want to be consistent and able to put rounds on target from typical engaging distances. 25-200 yards.

I don't have the money, resources or interest to nerd out on long distance ranges.
GringoLoco

Post by GringoLoco »

Cubiclerevolt wrote: April 19th, 2020, 11:31 am
GringoLoco wrote: April 1st, 2020, 11:17 pm This is just my experience so basically it means nothing because I’m a nobody. I have no law enforcement or mil background and since those are the qualifiers, again, this means nothing.

100 yard zero Target:

That's all legit and great info.

I just want to be consistent and able to put rounds on target from typical engaging distances. 25-200 yards.

I don't have the money, resources or interest to nerd out on long distance ranges.
Exactly! That's why I zeroed at 25 yards using a simulated 100 yard zero target. I didn't actually zero at 100 yards but I essentially did. Some will tell you that I didn't and while they may technically be correct, I will tell you that it made little to no difference in the real world (yes, I know a rifle competition isn't a real world firefight).

All I wanted to do was let people know they don't have to be an elite operator on youtube to zero their rifle relatively quickly and use that "rough" zero to be accurate from 0 yards out to 300 yards on a man size target.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

AZ1182 wrote: April 19th, 2020, 11:50 am Honestly from that conversation we had in your thread, a basic M4 type is all that you will need to do that exactly. Put on an Aimpoint of your choice, and after a good zero you'll be doing exactly that at 25-200.
Yeah thats what I was looking for because a lot of my friends come to me for help because I have guns. I have more knowledge then them but I'm only entry level.

Honestly I am not really a "gun guy". I love them for what they do and I love being involved with defending our rights and educating others and bringing them into the fold as I think that is where my greatest strength to us as a whole is over my shooting ability.

With that being said, I still want to be competent in a fire team or group to help provide community defense in a time of crisis or stop a home invasion, active shooter scenario from happening if the right conditions allow it. I'll always be a good witness first then try to help in any way I can.

I seriously won't be sad or hurt if John Kuhns or Bill Poole don't call me up for their CMP teams lol.
Cubiclerevolt

Post by Cubiclerevolt »

GringoLoco wrote: April 19th, 2020, 11:57 am
All I wanted to do was let people know they don't have to be an elite operator on youtube to zero their rifle relatively quickly and use that "rough" zero to be accurate from 0 yards out to 300 yards on a man size target.
To a layman as myself that knows how to run a carbine with ok-ish I won't embarrass myself but won't impress anyone accuracy, this is perfect information for the people I know that need to learn and not feel dumb about asking.
Elk34
Banned
Banned

Post by Elk34 »

Ok if its good for the military, it's good for you.
Attachments
51LT6AOaWEL._AC_PIcountsize-50,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg
51LT6AOaWEL._AC_PIcountsize-50,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg (31.73 KiB) Viewed 9089 times
GringoLoco

Post by GringoLoco »

Cubiclerevolt wrote: April 19th, 2020, 1:38 pm
GringoLoco wrote: April 19th, 2020, 11:57 am
To a layman as myself that knows how to run a carbine with ok-ish I won't embarrass myself but won't impress anyone accuracy, this is perfect information for the people I know that need to learn and not feel dumb about asking.
check this out. this is what sold me on the 100yd zero.

at close range you just have to be concerned with height over bore offset, which is about 2.5"

and with a 100yd zero, you don't have to think about whether or not to hold low or high depending on the the distance you're shooting at, you just have to think about holding slightly high at really close ranges, dead on at 100yds, and then slightly high again at longer ranges.

i know i keep saying it but a 100yd zero just makes the most sense to me.