Henry pump action rifle

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
shooter444
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Henry pump action rifle

Post by shooter444 »

What is the far fetched possibility :D a member here has a Henry pump action rifle?

I am thinking of getting a new rim fire piece,... and this one has come on to my radar, of late.

Can't believe there could be anything wrong with this Henry rifle,... but, can't hurt to ask!

Thanks

needsmostuff

Re: Henry pump action rifle

Post by needsmostuff »

Yo Amigo, I loves the Henrys ,but ,,,, not so much that one.
Nothing really wrong with them , they seem to cycle , load and fire fine but in a stiff way.
They seem to be pretty much a lever action design modified to be run by a pump handle.
Somehow the geometry is not great and buttery like a pump outta be.
Tried two , same stiff feel so no joy.
I'd vote to stick with the tried and true lever.

Side note ,if looking for something different . I just picked up a dirt cheap ($250 out the door), on sale Mossberg .22 lever action that is gonna be interesting.
But so far not smoke tested.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Thanks Needsmostuff!

Interesting,... could the stiffness be from new condition? Was it one you had for awhile, or, just handled off the rack of a GS?

I picked up a Winchester pump /break down gallery 22lr clone by Rossi, about a decade ago, for my better half. It was and still is in excellent/like new condition. I have admired the action every time I clean it, over all these years, and thought a Henry pump would be a good bet.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

I have never been a big fan of Henry rifles so my opinion of them would be biased at the least.
I am not saying they are bad guns. I just don't care for them , pump or lever.
Personally I will take an old Remington over any other pump made , but I have been collecting them for over 50 years.
I still have one I got when I was 12 years old ( it was old then ) and it still shoots as good as any of the others.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hmmm,... an "old Remington", I like Remington pumps. I have a 7615Police pump that has never disappointed. 8-)

I will have to look into that,... thanks, Ballistic Therapy,... got a favorite model you could recommend ?
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

With the older ones they are all good. They made several variations of the model 12 and 121. The model 572 will be the easiest to find. The have made them since 1954 to the present and there are plenty of them out there.
The model 12's and 121's are getting harder to find in good original condition and are also getting up there in price.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Thanks!
guardyan_angyl

Post by guardyan_angyl »

The Henry has such a short stroke on the pump it almost feels fake? Not sure if that’s the word I am looking for. I love Henry’s but not so much the pump. Now the Remington Fieldmaster! That’s a sweet pump 22.
needsmostuff

Post by needsmostuff »

shooter444 wrote: December 16th, 2019, 7:56 am Interesting,... could the stiffness be from new condition? Was it one you had for awhile, or, just handled off the rack of a GS?
The two I tried were side by side in a used rack at a GS. Used but not high mileage . Amount of break in ??????
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

guardyan_angyl wrote: December 16th, 2019, 5:04 pm The Henry has such a short stroke on the pump it almost feels fake? Not sure if that’s the word I am looking for. I love Henry’s but not so much the pump. Now the Remington Fieldmaster! That’s a sweet pump 22.
Well, as you have described,... that is a plus to me. What you say, kind'a reminds me of the old timer's pistol caliber "LIGHTNING" rifles, I have like so much, but couldn't put up with the jamming. Maybe there is some hope for this piece, for me. I guess I will just have to hunt one down and cycle it for myself.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

needsmostuff wrote: December 16th, 2019, 5:40 pm
shooter444 wrote: December 16th, 2019, 7:56 am Interesting,... could the stiffness be from new condition? Was it one you had for awhile, or, just handled off the rack of a GS?
The two I tried were side by side in a used rack at a GS. Used but not high mileage . Amount of break in ??????
Thanks, and ya, I guess I am gon'na have to do the same.
h8pvmnt

Post by h8pvmnt »

I have a one of the older Rossi 16" Takedown pumps and it is really nice. Never handled a Henry, however i was just at AZ Firearms in Tempe this AM and they have a stainless pump .22 on the rack that looked very nice. I am sure its not a Henry probably a Rossi/Braztech but it was on the rack with all the henry rifles.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Thanks, but, I am east of Tucson,... that's a bit far to go, to check one out.

But, thanks for the info.