700 Remington at walmart.

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
smithers599
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 700 Remington at walmart.

Post by smithers599 »

I don't care if the price is great or if the guns are seconds or not.
F___ Walmart.

outdoorplay

Post by outdoorplay »

Ok say they are seconds. What does that really mean.

The barrel isn't true- liability
The head-space is off- liability
The trigger doesn't work right- liability
The finish is sub par.... maybe but who cares for a hunting rifle.

I bought one 2nd hand for less than 300. I have been softly researching various Remington receivers from the 721/722 to the current to see the quality difference over the years. The walmart action trued up very well and did not show any signs of sub standard machining.
Crippledtrigger

Post by Crippledtrigger »

I'd be more concerned about buying an older model 700 with the roulette safety than one from walmart.

We routinely suck up blem s*** like its crack from every place else and brag till no one wants to listen anymore what a deal we got. If walmart sells something that is blemished in some way and not stated as such the warranty will fix it. Beyond that, guns are tools not purdy look dont touch things and you most certainly dont expect such from walmart at walmart discount prices. You can go overpay for a gun to wack off too in a billion places. If you do that at walmart your doing it wrong to begin with. That's like shopping Macs autorama for a new McLaren.

I've said it a thousand times, were gonna be raggedy arsed naked n hungry if the outrage ban bullsheit doesnt stop.

Rampant capitalism breeds funny bedfellows and enemies dont it. Hell its brainwashed millions to conflating a capitalist and conservative in the WH.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I have the same R700 Walmart gun. Paid $300 in 2016. It’s a 243win. Everyone told me it would not shoot....it does.

It likes the cheap Herters brand from Cabelas. I’ve got a varmint load worked up that shoots even better.

Maybe it’s a factory freak, maybe not because my buddy bought one and his is every bit as good.

When he needed cash I bought his and had Phoenix Custom Rifles true the receiver and open up my scope mount holes and put on a Rock Creek and chamber to 243AI. The bolt handle had to be sent out because the timing wasn’t right but I hear that can happen when a smith cleans up the face. So it’s wasn’t good enough for a gunsmith. That rifle is one of my best.

At the end of the day I’m happy with both and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. It’s taken a Javelina & a White-Tail so it hasn’t let me down yet.

Which WalMart should I go to?
AZ_Five56
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by AZ_Five56 »

brandyspaw wrote: November 27th, 2019, 10:25 am As compared to the Remington quality of old; I'd say most all the products Remington makes these days would be considered seconds.
Agreed. In fact, Remington is going through all those 700 recalls because of them accidentally firing without the trigger being pulled. I've heard that (in at least one case) a rifle was still having this problem after the recall was done. If I had tight budget constraints, I'd steer clear of Remingtons and try to pick up something else used when it comes up for sale cheap.