700 Remington at walmart.

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
greygt
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

700 Remington at walmart.

Post by greygt »

I just stopped by a local walmart to see what ammo was being clearanced out this week. I saw they had six 700 Remingtons also on clearance. I know they are far from top of the line. But for $300 I thought wouldn't be a bad buy for a 308 with some type of scope on it as well.
Anyone have any experience/knowledge of these wallyworld specials? I tried looking them up on the wallyworld site. LOL. What a waste that was. I wasn't able to look at them at the lone gun counter person was busy working in paint???

QuietM4
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: 700 Remington at walmart.

Post by QuietM4 »

Walmart buys the cheapest, lowest quality items. Hard pass. I will go out of my way to not buy anything from them.

The only way I would buy a firearm from a Walmart is if it was for a child, or someone who isn't expected to use it for anything important. Or, if I knew it was going to be a truck gun and likely stolen, rusted, dropped, etc.
Ballistic Therapy

Post by Ballistic Therapy »

So are you saying Remington , Ruger , Winchester ( all sold at Walmarts ) amongst others make lower quality firearms for Walmart than they do for other stores ?
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

I know for a fact that Remington firearms sold at Walmart are factory seconds. This was confirmed by several Remington reps during a conversation at SHOT Show a few years ago.

It is a known fact Walmart forces it's suppliers to cut costs, often times at the expense of product quality.

Buying from a local gun shop supports local business. That is worth a few extra dollars.
WRMorrison

Post by WRMorrison »

I built a competition (prone/sling) bolt gun from a Walmart 700 youth in .243. Bought it for a steal of a price, sold everything but the receiver and bolt on GB and had a local 'smith turn it into what I wanted (square the receiver/barrel threads, lap the lugs, etc, etc).

-WRM
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

maybe they are all seconds. hehehehe
Ballistic Therapy

I have heard about Walmarts factory seconds BS for years and it always comes from someone that heard it from another . Nobody has ever had any real proof of it. Just like the Schiff show going on in the House.

Walmart might have the no thrills stripped down version without fancy stocks and such but the factory seconds story is BS.
Not to mention Walmart buys in much larger quantities than probably any other dealer out there with gives them a much better deal than others get.

So until someone can come up with some real proof I say it is all BS.
knockonit

Post by knockonit »

like who really gives a hoot, they don't be gonna selling guns and ammo soon anyway,
i never shied away from their units or ammo
happy hump day to those that subscribe
Rj
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Ballistic Therapy wrote: November 27th, 2019, 6:31 am I have heard about Walmarts factory seconds BS for years and it always comes from someone that heard it from another . Nobody has ever had any real proof of it. Just like the Schiff show going on in the House.

Walmart might have the no thrills stripped down version without fancy stocks and such but the factory seconds story is BS.
Not to mention Walmart buys in much larger quantities than probably any other dealer out there with gives them a much better deal than others get.

So until someone can come up with some real proof I say it is all BS.
Hmmm,... FACTS,... you are calling for FACTS, on the internet?

You silly guy. :lol:
QuietM4

Post by QuietM4 »

Again, THREE REMINGTON FACTORY REPS told me they are factory seconds. They are mechanically sound guns; but the finish/coatings and stock fit/finish are sub par.

As WRMorrison said, buying one for a donor receiver/bolt is a great idea.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Well then, hell, ... THREE ANONYMOUS REMINGTON FACTORY REPS told you,... how could I argue with that,... I mean, if it is on the internet, it must be true,... RIGHT?

Just yanking your chain a little, guy. 8-) It sounds reasonable, to me.
What
ArizonaShooting.org Bronze Supporter

Post by What »

I came across youtube link long ago. Someone bought 2 same exact model from Walmart and gun shop. To tske apart to show any difference. There was somewhat difference. I believe it's just similar description as QuietM4 mentioned.

I'd do same as WRM did or just for simple use.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

As compared to the Remington quality of old; I'd say most all the products Remington makes these days would be considered seconds.
What

Post by What »

greygt wrote: November 26th, 2019, 4:12 pm I just stopped by a local walmart to see what ammo was being clearanced out this week. I saw they had six 700 Remingtons also on clearance. I know they are far from top of the line. But for $300 I thought wouldn't be a bad buy for a 308 with some type of scope on it as well.
Anyone have any experience/knowledge of these wallyworld specials? I tried looking them up on the wallyworld site. LOL. What a waste that was. I wasn't able to look at them at the lone gun counter person was busy working in paint???
Which location?
Ballistic Therapy

Walmart sells millions of guns every year. . Are you saying there are that many seconds in the firearm business ?
I don't believe it and until someone can come up with some actual proof that is not hearsay I will continue to not believe it.

You can find a thread about this on just about every firearms forum out there and not one person has shown any actual proof.
It is all , I heard from this guy or he told me or I read it somewhere . Basically BS. No proof anywhere.