Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Solar_Empire
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Post by Solar_Empire »

Last edited by Solar_Empire on November 28th, 2019, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

shooter444

Re: Thinking about a M1A

Post by shooter444 »

Solar-Empire,.... Can't help with a rifle, but, I have a dozen or so, surplus steel mags tucked away in storage I used with a PTR I had. If they will function, they are yours for the asking.
Lobo2087

Post by Lobo2087 »

If he doesnt want them i have a scout squad that could use them.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

Thanks but PTRs use g3 mags which are nowhere close to an m14 mag.
Solar_Empire

Post by Solar_Empire »

No one really owns one on this forum?
338lapua

Post by 338lapua »

CF005366.jpg
SOCOM model will rattle the fillings in your teeth and annoy everyone at the range. Mine have 18" barrels with a 1-10 twist Kreiger barrel. You get what you pay for in this market. Springfield rifles are investment cast and the more expensive ones are forged receivers. Dump the old time flash hider and get a gas lock front sight and a Vortex flash hider.

They are very accurate shooters out to 1000 yards with the right ammo. I put this one together about 12 years ago. Smith Enterprises is the best place in Az to get one repaired as they have parts and they also make a forged M-14 receiver. Only thing I don't like about the M-14 platform is the way the magazines go in but that is not a problem.
792mauser

Post by 792mauser »

I have a standard 22 inch one. I don't shoot it often. Handles well. I just prefer my fal rifles.

It's been reliable and even cycles with Russian steel cased ammo (just leaves a carrbon-y mess). I love the sights on her though.
madmike

Post by madmike »

I have a standard model but I prefer the FAL platform.
outdoorplay

Post by outdoorplay »

I'm not an expert but here is what I currently understand.

Pre about 1991 Springfield used GI parts which were forged not cast. After that they went to casting their own. Getting a forged bolt, op rod, triggers and other parts are really nice, but unless you are shooting more than an averaged of 100 rounds a month probably not worth the extra $ (in my overly analytical opinion).

The recoil in an M1a is quite a bit more than an AR 308. The shorter the barrel the greater the recoil on M1a's. Also many of them have their front sights machined into the flash hider making it much more pricey to switch it out for a muzzle break if you feel so inclined.

308 really shines after 300 yards. I have really good eye sight and that is about where my vision starts to suffer without optics. M1a's can have an optic mounted but the mounts are expensive and the stocks are not designed to have raised cheek piece. Thus if you plan to shoot long distance as smaller targets, the M1a is not the best option. If you are just shooting "cans" under 300 yards then why not go with a more economical option...

Don't get me wrong I love my m1a match, it shoots amazing well. Much better than I can shoot it with open sights. However I hardly shoot it because my AR in 308 is just much more effective and ergonomic.