Wanting to build a 10/22 charger in M1A1 config

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Miker12
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Wanting to build a 10/22 charger in M1A1 config

Post by Miker12 »

So go a hunch I can buy a 10/22 Charger in .910 bull barrel with threaded barrel then transfer it into a cut down M1A1 stock.

I would like the end product to look like this:
WIQOrda.jpg
No comes the hard part of finding the M1A1 wood stock that will fit the Charger.

Any suggestions on where to shop? Or maybe someone already built this

shooter444

Re: Wanting to build a 10/22 charger in M1A1 config

Post by shooter444 »

Hey Miker 12 ,... would that be a legal build without a short barrel rifle stamp?
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

That is the question...if I use a pre-made "pistol" stock and pistol (charger 10/22) is it still a pistol? Examples of cut rifle stocks
Attachments
ruger-charger-stock-1.jpg
11860876853_a88e9874c8_z.jpg
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

I don't know,... I'm sure a FFL on here, would have an answer for you.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

Hey Miker12, something has been bothering me, so I came back and realized what it is. That your first pic has a folding rifle stock and the two others, don't.

Big difference (I THINK) putting a short pistol barrel on a stock capable of being full length with a folding stock,... without a stamp. Which I assume is the bases of your quest. I am going to take an uneducated stab at this (since no one else seems to want to be helpful) and say,... even if the first pic, with the folding stock and short barrel is manufacturer/factory issue, NO, you can't manufacture a pistol with a folding rifle stock, even though it is obviously a C&R piece, that is made exactly to what you seek to do. I believe you could get away with replacing the folding stock piece with another manufacturer/factory issued correct action, but that is obviously not your goal.

I believe,... it is one thing for a licensed manufacturer/factory, to do what you want to do, compared to a civilian changing out the original action/barrel to a different type. But, as I prefaced,.... this is a wild stab!

As to the other two pics, they seem to be factory made pistols,.... if they are manufacturer/factory original pistols, I see no problem changing out those pistol barrels, to a different pistol barrel, or a rifle barrel, if you wish. But, I believe you would run into basically the same legal problem if you mounted a folding stock , on either one of them.

We have a shitload of FFLs on this board and I don't know why they haven't chimed in,... maybe they just haven't seen your post.
shooter444

Post by shooter444 »

On a side not,... Miker12, I have always considered cutting down the stock and barrel of a semi-auto shotgun, to mimic the Remington and Mossberg issued shorty shotguns. They seem to have fallen into a legally exempt category for a stamp, because they are over 27 inches overall in length.

But,... and my point,... I don't feel comfortable doing so,... 1) because I am not a licensed manufacturer, 2) I would be shortening a RIFLE into another category of weapon.

I strongly believe I could get away with it, since I would not be making it for resale, but, I am just not that informed to take the chance. The "longer than 27" with shorter than legal rifle length barrel " weapon category " is interesting. My 10.5 inch AR 300 BLK OUT pistol falls into that same legal loophole, and can have a forward positioned vertical grip,... where as, a shorter than 27" OA length AR pistol, can not. At least that is what I have come to understand.
Miker12

Post by Miker12 »

Yep, thank you for the reply. I guess I would just go with a standard 10/22 and put it into the M1A1 stock to fulfill all the standards.

1983 Vintage Federal Ordnance Ruger 10/22 Walnut Underfolder Stock should do it as long as I keep the barrel length to standards. No pistol onto the rifle stock. :violin:
Attachments
6496169_01_vintage_federal_ordnance_ruger_640.jpg
cool arrow

Post by cool arrow »

I have that same underfolder on one of my Rugers, if you can find one, buy it, they are rock solid and very cool to boot
Man_d0wn

Post by Man_d0wn »

The only possible way to get that look and stay as a pistol would be to have the stock welded closed