FN FAL

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Conelrad
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: FN FAL

Post by Conelrad »

I believe Moses isn't making them any longer.

There are quite a few good surplus FAL mags are found in the FalFIles marketplace.

I got ten excellent StG-58 mags there for $250.

Conelrad

hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

Conelrad wrote: September 14th, 2019, 9:58 pm I believe Moses isn't making them any longer.

There are quite a few good surplus FAL mags are found in the FalFIles marketplace.

I got ten excellent StG-58 mags there for $250.

Conelrad
They are still on the DSArms website, not sure if you can buy direct any more.
Conelrad

Post by Conelrad »

Good discussion here.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

I've been getting out of 308 battle rifles (as well as other guns) and been selling off guns since I've retired. It's mostly been due to simplifying and downsizing for retirement but with the 308 battle rifles its also because of higher ammunition costs since the surplus ammo supply has dried up.

The only FAL I have left is a build done by CourtinFL (from the FALfiles) using an Imbel kit that he cut the barrel and modified the gas system for an 18 inch length. Its my favorite FAL even though it certainly wasn't the best FAL I've owned. I like it because I prefer the 18" barrel length on 308 rifles. It needs a refinish but that also means its a knock around gun and it'll likely be with me to the end.
Conelrad

Post by Conelrad »

Very nice.

That is one LOOONG 18" barrel, tho...

Conelrad
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Conelrad wrote: September 15th, 2019, 2:23 pm That is one LOOONG 18" barrel, tho...
Its the perspective the picture was taken which is also why the butt stock looks so short.

Its approximately the same overall length as my HK-91, M1A Scout, CETME and M&P10 which all have 18" barrels.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

I talked to a guy that makes Hk recievers and FN recivers. I asked if he could make a FN upper that would take Hk 308 mags. He is working on it.
hairygreek

Post by hairygreek »

17-21-23 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 5:49 am I talked to a guy that makes Hk recievers and FN recivers. I asked if he could make a FN upper that would take Hk 308 mags. He is working on it.
Some company made a few awhile ago, but it turned out the much higher cost of the receiver nullified the cheap magazines. Theoretically it shouldn't be that hard...
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

17-21-23 wrote: September 17th, 2019, 5:49 am I talked to a guy that makes Hk recievers and FN recivers. I asked if he could make a FN upper that would take Hk 308 mags. He is working on it.
Are you talking about an upper receiver for a FAL or what? What would you put that FAL upper on? Mags lock into the lower not the upper.

Unlike an AR lower, converting a FAL receiver to take G3 mags is going to take some serious re-engineering. FAL mags lock front to rear while G3 mags lock from the side.

If you are talking about an AR lower then CMMG and Monarch have already done G3 lowers. And if you are talking about an AR then why did you post this in a thread about FALs?
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Well steve. ,, no one said you were smart and your not. Being Mr know it all doesn't pay off for you here bud. Your a fu$king idot. Here let me help you. The upper on a fal has the Magwell. The lower is the trigger assembly. When the government cuts a FAL to be in compliance with a parts kit. They most of the time cut the magwell in half. So yes the upper has the magwell with it. And yes I found a company that did make 10 or 20 samples that had mag wells to accept HK 91 mags. So the reciever was 800. I just happen to have 50 light weight paratrooper mags from Germany that would work great in it. I believe back when I bought them they were like 2.00 each. They are way better quality than Fal mags.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Yep I admit you got me on the FAL magazine well location. I forgot where the pivot point was on the rifle.

That was fast...at 05:49 you said the company was working on it and then 12 hours later you said they had made 20 and you had bought one??

I would like to see pictures of how they converted a front/rear FAL locking setup to a G3 side locking version. Heck I will settle for a link to a site/thread discussing it as Google is drawing a blank.

Those aluminum G3 mags weren't "paratrooper mags" they were general issue to the entire German Military. Perhaps you are thinking of the aluminum waffle AK mags the Russians only issued to actual paratroopers.

When I laid in my G3 aluminum mags they were $1.00 each and were previously available as low as $0.50 each.
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

Germany made a light weight mag and a heavy weight mag. Here is a light and heavy
Attachments
mag-303.jpg
mag-303.jpg (10.65 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
mag-304.jpg
mag-304.jpg (5.7 KiB) Viewed 9525 times
17-21-23
Banned
Banned

Post by 17-21-23 »

The company I was talking to a while ago about this had both recievers in their cad system and they were trying to make a hybrid receiver with a hk mag well in a FAL reviever
Conelrad

Post by Conelrad »

I've seen a prototype mag that was HK on one end, FAL on the other. Never got a chance to see if it worked OK.

Conelrad
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

17-21-23 wrote: September 19th, 2019, 6:38 am Germany made a light weight mag and a heavy weight mag. Here is a light and heavy
I am well aware of the steel and aluminum G3 mags, as well as the steel CETME mags which are different from both.

They didn't make a "light" and "heavy" mag. What they did was simply issue steel mags first and then later switched to aluminum to shed weight for the soldiers. The aluminum version wasn't something special for paratroopers. Both styles were general issue to the entire German military with the later aluminum versions being MUCH more prevalent.