Can any 5.56mm rifle currently on the market really make a significant improvement on the current crop of AR15

Discuss rifles, carbines, and other long-arms here (AR-15's, AK's, etc...)
Steve_In_29
ArizonaShooting.org Member

Re: Can any 5.56mm rifle currently on the market really make a significant improvement on the current crop of AR15

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Dogslayer wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:11 pm I'm not sure why it doesn't throw the spent brass into a small area. The next time
I shoot it I will check out the approximate size of the area they land in. As long as it keeps firing the first and last cartridge in the magazine I'm not gonna lose
any sleep over it. The 308 has dual ejectors, the 5.56 one.
Dogslayer
Random ejection patterns are a sign of improper gassing/timing of the rifle.

Dogslayer

Re: Can any 5.56mm rifle currently on the market really make a significant improvement on the current crop of AR15

Post by Dogslayer »

It has an adjustable gas system, the next time I shoot it I will go a few clicks one way and a few the other way to see if it will put all the brass in a smaller area. Thanks for the info.
Dogslayer
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

There are other 5.56 rifles out there that could be to be considered a "significant improvement"
over the AR. However, I think the huge advantage the AR offers is that it has become so prolific.

The availability of both the parts and the guns is now so great that it will likely be around for as long as we can still enjoy our gun freedoms. Even if the military were to adopt something completely different. So for me at least, the availability and economy of the AR platform has pretty precluded buying other 5.56 rifles. I've had a few other 5.56 rifles in the past but all of them have been sold. At the same time my selection of different AR variations has increased.
Steve_In_29

Post by Steve_In_29 »

Dogslayer wrote: June 24th, 2018, 6:24 pm It has an adjustable gas system, the next time I shoot it I will go a few clicks one way and a few the other way to see if it will put all the brass in a smaller area. Thanks for the info.
Dogslayer
Did you get a chance to play with the gas system yet? How did it work out?
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Here is the skinny on all AR rifles. You can change what ever you want but you can not get away from the locking lugs on the bolt. Drop some sand in there and you are fuc$ed. Now the Sig 556 swat pistol or rifle are based on the top 3 rifles of the world. Upper is based on the swiss 551 and 550 . Bolt is based on AK. Lower is based around the AR magazine. This rifle is the best of all 3 worlds. It's not cheap
Berd

Post by Berd »

The more I shoot my suppressed 11.5" I tend to agree with Larry Vickers opinion.

Found the quote:

Piston AR's have their place- to determine if you need one ask yourself four questions;

1) Do I need a barrel length shorter than 14.5 inches
2) Do I need to run my gun suppressed a lot
3) Do I need to shoot a lot of full auto
4) Do I need to shoot a wide variety of ammo

I do two of those with my 11.5". Since I took ownership of my can I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K through it, with the can on for every shot.

I've experienced a very dirty gun, resulting in the rim being ripped off of empty cases stuck in the chamber.

I've also built up enough carbon in the muzzle device that accurate degraded.

A piston AR would perhaps have performed better in my case. But seeing as how I got to 1500 or so without cleaning before I had issues, I'm happy with it.

So long story short....no. I think the m4 does just fine. Even the shorter barreled variants.

For reference my rifle
11.5" bcm barrel and bcg
Silencerco Omega can
Vltor A5 buffer system with A5H3 buffer and milspec rifle spring
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Have you ever shot a sig 556?
lew

Post by lew »

Ranger1 wrote: August 6th, 2018, 9:28 am Here is the skinny on all AR rifles. You can change what ever you want but you can not get away from the locking lugs on the bolt. Drop some sand in there and you are fuc$ed. Now the Sig 556 swat pistol or rifle are based on the top 3 rifles of the world. Upper is based on the swiss 551 and 550 . Bolt is based on AK. Lower is based around the AR magazine. This rifle is the best of all 3 worlds. It's not cheap
Drop some sand in those other offerings and see what happens.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

I did the sig ran fine. The sig also has a plunger with 2 gas holes up at the gas piston. When one gets dirty you switch to the other. Any way the sig 556 workmanship is better than a over priced AR.
Berd

Post by Berd »

Ranger1 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:33 am Have you ever shot a sig 556?
Yeah, I thought it was kind of clunky.

It worked, but it doesn't do anything a m4 won't do for me.
brandyspaw

Post by brandyspaw »

Berd wrote: August 7th, 2018, 1:49 pm
Ranger1 wrote: August 7th, 2018, 4:33 am Have you ever shot a sig 556?
Yeah, I thought it was kind of clunky.

It worked, but it doesn't do anything a m4 won't do for me.
And the SIG 556 has been discontinued and lacks support. Just like SIG does with many of their products that they have declined to support because they've moved onto the next big thing they're chasing.
Longhair1957

Post by Longhair1957 »

Ranger1
I’ve owned 2 SIG556 rifles and one of the 10” “handguns”.

They are great weapons!

My only complaint was the weight.

My main weapon in 5.56 now is a POF Renegade Plus.
I’m pretty happy with it.
Ranger1
Banned
Banned

Post by Ranger1 »

Yes the weight is a little more than a AR. That's why I just go to the gym.
flag45
New to ArizonaShooting.org
New to ArizonaShooting.org

Post by flag45 »

If we take the meaning of current crop (AR15 platform from the 1960s design) then i would have to think that the SCAR and Tavor would be improvements since they are designed from the ground up to take advantage of newer technology and get pass the AR platforms 'design issues' (real or perceived).

If you were to take all the product improvments made for the AR platform (ie piston), then it would be a closer race.
Tim McBride
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by Tim McBride »

Ranger1 wrote: August 9th, 2018, 10:45 am Yes the weight is a little more than a AR. That's why I just go to the gym.
:icon-lol: